Best Actress

1998 through 2007
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From New York Magazine:

Marion Cotillard’s Five-Step Plan for Destroying a Burgeoning Acting Career
You too can ruin your career!

Seemingly on her way to stardom after winning the Best Actress Oscar a week ago, Marion Cotillard has stumbled upon what just may be the most surefire way imaginable to instantly erase all American goodwill and devastate her box-office potential:

Step 1: Posit that 9/11 was a conspiracy designed to renovate the Twin Towers without having to pay for costly rewiring.

Step 2: After denigrating America's greatest tragedy, question the validity of America’s greatest accomplishment: landing a man on the moon.

Step 3: Be French.

Step 4: When confronted with your conspiracy theories, claim they were taken out of context, but don’t disown them.

Step 5: In fact, remind America that it’s not the only one that makes movies and that you can simply film in other places.

Done. That’s all it takes to complete the Marion Cotillard “Five-Step Plan for Destroying a Burgeoning Acting Career.” It’s that easy, friends. —Dan Amira
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Academy says it won't take back her Oscar. Did anyone suggest they should? Here's the article:

Marion Cotillard 'in shock' over 9/11 row, but will not apologise

Charles Bremner of The Times in Paris

Marion Cotillard, the Oscar-winning French actress, will not apologise over remarks she made describing the 9/11 attacks as a conspiracy and believes that the comments had been taken out of context and misunderstood.

Cotillard, who won the Best Actress statuette last week for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose, has claimed that the September 11 atrocity had been orchestrated by the owners of the Twin Towers.

The comments, made in an interview first broadcast a year ago, have resurfaced on the internet since her Oscar victory.

Cotillard said that the towers were destroyed not as part of a terrorist plot, but because it would have been too expensive to rewire them. She also reheated an old conspiracy theory about the 1969 moon landing never having happened.

The actress's agent, Bastien Duval, told The Times that Cotillard, who charmed the crowd with her emotional acceptance speech after winning her Oscar, was "still in shock" at the angry reaction to her comments in the United States.

Mr Duval said that the interview was filmed after a broadcast on Coluche, a French comedian killed in a motorcycle accident in 1986, and she had simply made clear that she intended to form her own opinion about the events of September 11 rather than follow the official version, that it was a terrorist attack led by al-Qaeda.

"This reportage has been taken out of context and one can only condemn such practices," he said.

"Marion deplores that. She is currently filming in Chicago and has a lot of work. She is in an ocean of happiness and voila, this row blows up. It's rather strange. It's an old report, not at all current. Why bring it out now ?

"I talked three times to Marion overnight. This is worrying her. She is still in shock and does not really know how to react. She doesn't have to apologise for a badly presented and badly interpreted reportage."

He added: "She hopes that the Americans will have enough distance to understand, but her career is not just American. She can make films everywhere."

The New York Post has said that the 32-year-old actress had jeopardised the goodwill created by her Oscar win with her comments about the "money-sucking" towers.

It pointed out that she was soon to start filming her biggest role yet, in Public Enemies with Johnny Depp.

Readers of the Post's online edition were less charitable, dozens of them posting comments attacking Cotillard.

"She's just another moron talking about a subject she knows nothing about," said one. "The fact the she's also French adds insult to injury."

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today said it would not revoke Ms Cotillard's Oscar.

"The opinions expressed by Academy Award winners are solely their own," said Leslie Unger, a spokeswoman for the Academy, whose 5,829 members voted Ms Cotillard the best actress of 2007, beating other nominees, including Julie Christie.

"Ms Cotillard is free to express whatever views she has, but they have nothing to do with the Academy or the Academy Awards. Oscars are not revoked in light of any expressions of opinion. The Oscar is recognition of work done in film; nothing more and nothing less."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Foolishly I attempt to read the transcript and arrive at a page the mocks my worthless years of high school foreign language study. The minute I have any kind of money in my life, to the Sorbonne!

There is something interesting I've noticed in Americans that I would imagine is true with people from other countries but we must acknowledge first that foreigners by in large are more learned in their own history than most of Americans are. When we criticize our government, it's fine. When others do it, it's almost like an attack. We're more than happy to rail against our own country like a quiet coffee shop illuminati. We on this board have formed an incredibly anti-Bush/anti-Republican circle jerk that at the very least criddic enjoys watching for whatever reason. But the minute Italiano jumps in, it's like we are forced to defend this house of cards country of ours or it'll fall down completely, and that's the mentality that was the impetus for the CIA's inception.

I don't like that Cotillard's rationale is a reader's digest version of Loose Change but I have no issue whatsoever with her saying that. She's only going to look "kooky" in America. Our bullshit punditry screaming at a beautiful foreign actress from across the ocean is far more obscene. FUCK YOU, FRENCHY! IF WE'D'A KNOWED YOU THOUGHT THE BUILDINGS FALLED DOWN ON ACCOUNT'A US, WE'D'A NEVER'D GIVE YOU AN OSCAR WITH NOBODY WATCHING!

Most Americans don't even know who Cotillard is, who Edith Piaf is, whether or not La Vie en Rose is something you have to pay a Ukranian hooker for. Right now, they all have something to do with an innocuous 9/11 conspiracy theory that we've all thought of and let go because of the convenience and apathy that ushered in an unprecedent second term for George W. Bush. Honest to God, I could shit a pineapple some days...
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:Gee, the American news media must be playing up the garbage in the streets of a few towns around Naples to look like it's a mass problem in Italian cities in general the way Italian TV apparently makes it look as though all Americans are Bush loving xenophobes.

I love the French - Jean Renoir, Jean Vigo, Rene Clair, Rene Clement, Marcel Pagnol, Maurice Chevalier, Simone Signoret - oh, wait, they're all dead - let's see, who have we got now - Leslie Caron, Jeanne Moreau, Alain Delon, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Catherine Deneuve - ah, but they're all old and don't get a lot of work these days - who are the "hot" new French stars - ah, yes, Audrey Tatou, Marion Cotillard - bah, I'd rather re-watch Le Million or the Fanny trilogy.
Well, Big Magilla, many Americans DID vote for George W. Bush - didn't you know that? TWICE. Or did Italian television invent that? It seems that there is a good number of Bush loving xenophobes in your sunny country.

However, if you seriously think that garbage in the streets is a mass problem in Italy, and not just in a small area around Naples, then your media aren't very reliable, trust me. But it must be great waking up every morning and believing that one lives in the best possible place in the world.

And thinking that the French cinema today is limited to Audrey Tatou and Marion Cotillard shows how little you know not only of the world, but of cinema too.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

I don't hate her for being fat. I hate her for being a child. Breslin I mean, not Hudson. Yeah, two years of happy marriage with a wonderful guy and settling down and everything, and I still can't stand children.

Edited By Nik on 1204567382
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Adorable Abigail Breslin wore a fat suit in Little Miss Sunshine.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Gee, the American news media must be playing up the garbage in the streets of a few towns around Naples to look like it's a mass problem in Italian cities in general the way Italian TV apparently makes it look as though all Americans are Bush loving xenophobes.

I love the French - Jean Renoir, Jean Vigo, Rene Clair, Rene Clement, Marcel Pagnol, Maurice Chevalier, Simone Signoret - oh, wait, they're all dead - let's see, who have we got now - Leslie Caron, Jeanne Moreau, Alain Delon, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Catherine Deneuve - ah, but they're all old and don't get a lot of work these days - who are the "hot" new French stars - ah, yes, Audrey Tatou, Marion Cotillard - bah, I'd rather re-watch Le Million or the Fanny trilogy.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1204567170
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I was referring to the way they treated Abigail Breslin last year. It was all about her being fat, etc.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Well, she is fat isn't she?

If not, then we have a serious problem.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, you guys have just proven that you have no right to lambast Magilla or Damien for their comments because you're doing precisely the same thing right now.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Bog wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:"that AMERICAN fat girl"!

Who is Abigail Breslin? YES!
Oh, I thought it was Jennifer Hudson.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

ITALIANO wrote:"that AMERICAN fat girl"!
Who is Abigail Breslin? YES!

Ok, I'll take UAADB Xenophobia for $800 please.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I doubt that Magilla, Damien or any of the others who disliked Cotillard with a passion made that decision based on her nationality, which is what you are implying.

So why do they emphasize so often in their insults that she's French?

Well, she is French isn't she?

If she's not, then we have a serious problem.
:D

YOU ARE GREAT!!!!

But come on Oscar Guy, it's not like when it's someone from the US they say, for example, "that AMERICAN fat girl"!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

ITALIANO wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I doubt that Magilla, Damien or any of the others who disliked Cotillard with a passion made that decision based on her nationality, which is what you are implying.

Well, she is French isn't she?

If she's not, then we have a serious problem.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Return to “The 8th Decade”