Foreign Film Short List

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The Original BJ wrote:You've got to be f-in' kidding me.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, Persepolis and The Orphanage are all terrific pictures.
Have you seen the Orpahanage? I hated it. It´s a conventional boring stereotyped movie.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Original BJ wrote:Great, now instead of having to sit through TWO pieces of crap, I'll have to sit through whatever FIVE hunks of junk this stone-age branch finds worthy.
Do you watch all the nominees in all the categories? If so, I praise your stamina, if not your good sense. :)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't see how those would have come out. I'll check my AMPAS emails when I get home, but they've never produced such a list to my knowledge.
I'm almost sure they did it last year, too.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I can't believe that the Romanian movie is out and the (dreadful) Italian movie is still in.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

it sounds like only 30 people are being allowed to pick the five nominees from this list. am i reading this correctly? i always knew the foreign film selection process was accused of being exclusive, but 30 people is pretty ridiculous.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1200434778
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

This category needs to be massively overhauled.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

At first I thought this was a bogus list; that's how bad and unrepresentative it seemed.

There was a time -- 30-40 years ago -- when the foreign film winner was light-years (in coolness) beyond the same year's best picture winner. This year, we may have the precise reverse.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't see how those would have come out. I'll check my AMPAS emails when I get home, but they've never produced such a list to my knowledge. If so, I really can't respect the foreign lingo branch. The film I've seen of those left off, The Orphanage, is brilliant.

But if this indeed the list, I guarantee The Coutnerfeiters is nommed and will probably win. After all, it's about Jews during World War II.

here is the link:
www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2008/08.01.15a.html

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1200431890
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

You've got to be f-in' kidding me.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, Persepolis and The Orphanage are all terrific pictures. Moreover, they represent terrific examples of the breadth of foreign cinema these days -- a powerful verite drama about abortion, a lovely and imaginative animated memoir, and an old-fashioned bump in the night horror film.

Great, now instead of having to sit through TWO pieces of crap, I'll have to sit through whatever FIVE hunks of junk this stone-age branch finds worthy.

More evidence that this branch has the worst taste of ANY in the Academy. I'm serious. I dread checking off the foreign film nominees more than any other category.

Edited By The Original BJ on 1200433756
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't see how those would have come out. I'll check my AMPAS emails when I get home, but they've never produced such a list to my knowledge. If so, I really can't respect the foreign lingo branch. The film I've seen of those left off, The Orphanage, is brilliant.

But if this indeed the list, I guarantee The Coutnerfeiters is nommed and will probably win. After all, it's about Jews during World War II.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

big surprise snubs here.

4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS, 2 DAYS
PERSEPOLIS
THE ORPHANAGE
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

found these on awardsdaily.

News from AMPAS:
Austria, “The Counterfeiters,” Stefan Ruzowitzky, director
Brazil, “The Year My Parents Went on Vacation,” Cao Hamburger, director
Canada, “Days of Darkness,” Denys Arcand, director
Israel, “Beaufort,” Joseph Cedar, director
Italy, “The Unknown,” Giuseppe Tornatore, director
Kazakhstan, “Mongol,” Sergei Bodrov, director
Poland, “Katyn,” Andrzej Wajda, director
Russia, “12,” Nikita Mikhalkov, director
Serbia, “The Trap,” Srdan Golubovic, director

Return to “The 8th Decade”