Writer's Guild

1998 through 2007
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

DELIGHTED about Zodiac. Hope it carries over to AMPAS. It would be typical for the writers' branch to be the only ones to recognize a film I so liked.

Ratatouille fits to a T the profile of cartoons that get nominated in the category (Shrek, Nemo), so I expect it replace something (Knocked Up or Lars, most likely).

Three solo women in one category seems like it must be unprecedented.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Is Away From Her not on the list because Sarah Polley is not a member?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

What's with the love for Lars and the Real Girl? It's a mildly diverting movie, but so not worth a screenplay nod. Dan in Real Life would've be a far superior choice.

I've resigned myself to Atonement getting the shaft. Who knew people hated Kiera Knightley so much?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

There were also doc nominations. When did they start this category? Obviusly after '02, when Columbine won original screenplay.

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY

THE CAMDEN 28, Written by Anthony Giacchino, First Run Features

NANKING, Screenplay by Bill Guttentag & Dan Sturman & Elisabeth Bentley, Story by Bill Guttentag & Dan Sturman, THINKFilm

NO END IN SIGHT, Written by Charles Ferguson, Magnolia Pictures

THE RAPE OF EUROPA, Written by Richard Berge, Nicole Newnham and Bonni Cohen, Menemsha Films

SICKO, Written by Michael Moore, Lionsgate/The Weinstein Company

TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE, Written by Alex Gibney, THINKFilm
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

It's pretty hard to imagine Atonement's chances being any more tenuous than they are right now.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

In a way I am glad to see Atonement absent. I think the adaptation should have addressed some of the books linear flaws.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

so i totally called original screenplay (once i found out RATATOUILLE was ineligible).
adapted is not surprising except for ZODIAC (which i am so happy about).
i guess i need to accept ATONEMENT is dead. if even the writer's did not like it, does it really have any hope? :(
i need to just accept the inevitability of MICHAEL CLAYTON. i do not, however, have to like it. :angry:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I haven't even seen it yet and I'm happy for Zodiac. Why is this.

Edited By Eric on 1199996069
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

JUNO, Written by Diablo Cody, Fox Searchlight

MICHAEL CLAYTON, Written by Tony Gilroy, Warner Bros. Pictures

THE SAVAGES, Written by Tamara Jenkins, Fox Searchlight

KNOCKED UP, Written by Judd Apatow, Universal Pictures

LARS AND THE REAL GIRL, Written by Nancy Oliver, MGM

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, Screenplay by Ethan Coen & Joel Coen, Based on the Novel by Cormac McCarthy, Miramax

THERE WILL BE BLOOD, Screenplay by Paul Thomas Anderson, Based on the Novel Oil by Upton Sinclair, Paramount Vantage

THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY, Screenplay by Ronald Harwood, Based on the Book by Jean-Dominique Bauby, Miramax

INTO THE WILD, Screenplay by Sean Penn, Based on the Book by Jon Krakauer, Paramount Vantage

ZODIAC, Screenplay by James Vanderbilt, Based on the Book by Robert Graysmith, Paramount Pictures
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “The 8th Decade”