San Francisco Film Critics Winners

1998 through 2007
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:And Damien, for shame! I love Christie too but let's not mock the French. After all, they've given us Paris, a beautiful language and Julie Delpy.

Oh I would never mock the French. I'm second to no one in appreciation of France and the French. They've also given us Godard, Manet, Charles Boyer and beef bourguignon. And they stood up against Bush's war. It's just that this particular French actress isn't very interesting or accompliahed.

Edited By Damien on 1197395242
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm glad Assassination got something too, but it just goes to show that even critics are susceptible to Oscar politicking: Casey is a lead in the film, plain and simple. And even if the Globes, SAG and Oscar refuse to see that, critics groups should be independent minded, logical, and recalcitrant enough to do so.

And Damien, for shame! I love Christie too but let's not mock the French. After all, they've given us Paris, a beautiful language and Julie Delpy.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Yay for a Best Picture win for Assassination!!! (although if they loved the film so much, they should have known Casey's a lead).

And I love every time Julie mows down Frenchy.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Casey Affleck is really in trouble now. I thought for SURE he would be a slam-dunk nominee for Best Sound -- the amazing way he controlled his prepubescent-sounding voice created one of the most astounding aural landscapes of the year. The film's entire thematic agenda rests almost solely on the disturbing blend of lust, admiration, and jealousy that Affleck created using his voice alone.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to push him for Supporting Actor. He's a far bigger name than the rest of the Sound contenders, and would have a MUCH better chance in that category. This really just doesn't make any sense, what gives?!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Best Film:
The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford by Andrew Dominik

Best Foreign Language Film:
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Julian Schnabel

Best Documentary:
No End in Sight by Charles Ferguson

Best Director:
Joel and Ethan Coen for No Country for Old Men

Best Actor:
George Clooney for Michael Clayton

Best Actress:
Julie Christie for Away from Her

Best Supporting Actor:
Casey Affleck for The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford

Best Supporting Actress:
Amy Ryan for Gone Baby Gone

Best Original Screenplay:
Tamara Jenkins for The Savages

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Sarah Polley for Away from Her

Looks like Amy Ryan is this year's critics' darling.

Return to “The 8th Decade”