No votes
1/2 *
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 32

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:You're making fun of me for asserting it wouldn't be nominated for Best Picture when NO ONE on the board had seen it and there was no evidence to suggest it would be. I made my judgment call based on facts, everyone else on opinions.
OG, that is not true and I really take exception to that.

What we said was that based on the critical consensus at Cannes, and later at Toronto, it looked like it was going to be a contender. We did have a basis and that basis was the film's strong reception, even though you tried to negate it by erroneously claiming not many critics saw it.

And it had nothing to do with our opinions of the Coens, even though you tried to paint us with that broad brush as well.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

cam wrote:
Zahveed wrote:Did I join this board at a bad time or does OscarGuy always get his periods around this time of year? :)

At least *monthly*! Have a good Christmas everyone./ Cam
Sorry Cam, looks like we've been smited. I guess I'll keep my jokes to the wayside. :D Merry Christmas to you too OscarGuy.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I can't believe I ever thought of some of these people as friends.

Smallest violin on the planet over here.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM ISRAEL! OH MY GOD YOU GUYS! AAAAAH!!! I've decided to stay indefinitely, chill on the Kibbutz. Maybe work in a hotel while a couple of my scripts get polished. Hopefully that's not all that gets polished: HEY-OOOOOO!!!

Edited By Sabin on 1198571684
"How's the despair?"
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Zahveed wrote:Did I join this board at a bad time or does OscarGuy always get his periods around this time of year? :)
At least *monthly*! Have a good Christmas everyone./ Cam
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

OscarGuy wrote:You're making fun of me for asserting it wouldn't be nominated for Best Picture when NO ONE on the board had seen it and there was no evidence to suggest it would be. I made my judgment call based on facts, everyone else on opinions.
Ah, I foresee many generations of Logics scholars debating about this statement.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Did I join this board at a bad time or does OscarGuy always get his periods around this time of year? :)
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Okay, I'm done, I'm getting out of this argument before it escalates anywhere else.

Immense apologies for making you so upset.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Perhaps if people WEREN'T attacking me, I'd have more ease relaxing.

And "I'm still waiting to hear it's not going to get nominated for Best Picture." is hardly non-antagonistic. You're making fun of me for asserting it wouldn't be nominated for Best Picture when NO ONE on the board had seen it and there was no evidence to suggest it would be. I made my judgment call based on facts, everyone else on opinions. By you bringing that up, you're in essence being rude. I get accused for saying things that are better left unsaid and perhaps you should take your own advice and consider the rudeness of your statements before making them.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Please refrain from calling me an ass. I don't think I've done anything to deserve such name-calling.

You've been against No Country since before the novel was written. And that's totally fine. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and no one is demeaning you for having a differing opinion. It is simply humorous that after everything, not only do you dislike No Country, but you find it the most overrated movie ever. I chuckled when I read your post, just like I will inevitably chuckle when Italiano finds the next Bill Condon movie to be the worst movie ever nominated for an Oscar...or when Damien finds the next Pixar classic to be the beginning of the apocalypse. Because, gosh darnit, people's pet peeves are FUNNY!

OscarGuy, with all due respect, can I please make a friendly suggestion? I think you might enjoy yourself a little more around here if you didn't take everything so seriously. No one is out to attack you, but lately you've gotten awfully upset very easily. Try to relax, and then, if you genuinely, truly think someone is treating you in a way that is cruel or unfair, try to address your concerns in a way that doesn't resort to calling people nasty names, okay?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:Eric, I'm thinking his comments are snarky, but I don't know for certain.
Yes, they are. Buck up and have a happy Christmas.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Original BJ wrote:I'm still waiting to hear it's not going to get nominated for Best Picture.

Why would I say that now, BJ? The critics have by-and-large said it's the best of the year, the Academy would be foolish not to nominate it. However, I'm certain that while there are plenty who actually like it, there will be others that will vote it a nomination because they respect it, not because they actually like it.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1198537059
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I haven't hated it for six months. I've hated hearing about it. As I have always said, the Coens are entirely overrated. I got sick of people talking it up like the second coming of their Christ without having seen it.

And, of course, that's what everyone seems to be saying, but I don't honestly see how they could possibly say that. It's competent, sure, but it's not an important film, it has nothing truly intuitive to say and it sure as hell is not entertaining. I'm not about to be a sheep and follow the herd for a film I really don't think deserves it. I even watched it after the trailer turned me off just so I could finally weigh in on it. I wanted to find something redeeming in it. I watched it hoping for something that would live up to everything I'd heard and I didn't get anything like that. I got the same kind of self-indulgent tripe that I always get from the Coens a film that people feel they have to hail as great even when it's not.

And I really am sick of the sanctimony Sonic seems to display all the time and I'm actually surprised at BJ for being an ass in this situation. Eric, I'm thinking his comments are snarky, but I don't know for certain.

Bog, I actually appreciate you for being respectful in your reply. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. These others don't seem to understand that. They'll look for any chance they can take to be self-righteous. If you have a differing opinion, they'll feed on you like sharks on an injured manatee.

I can't believe I ever thought of some of these people as friends.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1198536760
Wesley Lovell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

I'm still waiting to hear it's not going to get nominated for Best Picture.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I'll give ya credit for sticking to your guns....thoroughly and without regard

I just don't know if any of us understand why you have hated it so passionately for the last 6 months
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:This is the most overrated film that I think I've ever seen. I think Fargo is good entertainment, but not worthy of the praise it was given. It's a better film than No Country for Old Men.

The pic lumbers from opening to close like its antagonist, Bardem in one of the most overpraised roles of the decade. The film is technically proficient and has a few scenes that really stand out from the film, but without the entire production doing likewise, they really don't do much for the film. Josh Brolin is tremendous in the film and the only character I cared for at all.

The film was abrupt and completely lacking in enjoyability.

** 1/2 for the technical proficiency, Deakins captivating cinematography, Brolin's performance and Tommy Lee Jones opening narration (the rest of his performance isn't that special).
:D I swear, I love this man!

Return to “2000 - 2007”