PGA Nominations

For the films of 2022
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: PGA Nominations

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not saying Fabelmans won't be an issue for them. If they don't like Spielberg as a director (and it's clear they are heavily biased against him), then I wouldn't ever count Fabelmans as a sure thing with them, but the Academy loves Amerocentric, so it and Top Gun are sure things at the Oscars, but strugglers at the BAFTA. If Top Gun gets nominated at BAFTA, then we might be looking at the beginning of the end.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
BAFTA doesn't tend to favor films that are Amerocentric, so I'm guessing that <em>Elvis</em> is likely to miss out with them. Yeah, Elvis was a superstar, but he was a quintessential American superstar and I'm not so sure that's enough.
But Baz is their boy.

It could be The Fabelmans. It missed out on long list mentions for Best Director, any male acting nominations, and all down ballot besides Production Design. Only five listings.

All Quiet on the Western Front has sixteen, The Banshees of Inisherin has fourteen, Elvis and Everything Everywhere All At Once have twelve, Aftersun, Tár, and Top Gun: Maverick have eight, Triangle of Sadness has seven, and Living has six.

Really not sure what the five will be.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

BAFTA doesn't tend to favor films that are Amerocentric, so I'm guessing that <em>Elvis</em> is likely to miss out with them. Yeah, Elvis was a superstar, but he was a quintessential American superstar and I'm not so sure that's enough.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

For those of us who enjoy a wide open race, the BAFTAs announce in one week and four of the PGA noms today + two of the SAG noms are not on the long-list:
*Babylon
*Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
*Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
*The Whale
*Women Talking

So, the question is which of the five DGA / PGA noms does the BAFTA cosign (Banshees..., EEAAO, The Fabelmans, Tár, Top Gun: Maverick) or Elvis which seems to be reasonably out in front. Or do they venture out to the rest of their long-list and honor some combination of Aftersun, All Quiet on the Western Front, Living, and Triangle of Sadness are.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Double post
Last edited by Sabin on Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
All about the Benjamins, here. Four goddamn sequels. Disgraceful.
I certainly don't disagree but flops have never done well with this group. I don't entirely blame them for overlooking a movie that lost $100m like Babylon. This is a group that has always liked comic book movies (The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool). If they had to go populist, they could've gone a little more respectable like The Woman King.

I suppose we should be grateful that they even nominated The Banshees of Inisherin, The Fabelmans, Tár, and The Whale at this point.

And FWIW, Shrek got a BAFTA nom for Best Film. It probably wasn’t far off from a Picture nomination. The advent of the Animated Feature category probably nixed that.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I would just about bet the farm on Top Gun: Maverick winning this.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

All about the Benjamins, here. Four goddamn sequels. Disgraceful.

Reminds me a bit of one of our early years, 2001. They only had 5 nominees, and 2 of them were Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Shrek.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And the animated list:

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
Minions: The Rise of Gru
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Turning Red
Last edited by Mister Tee on Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

PGA Nominations

Post by Sabin »

The Banshees of Inisherin
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All At Once
The Fabelmans
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick