PGA Nominations

For the films of 2021
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: PGA Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

My reservations about Power of the Dog have been articulated, but nothing could get me rooting for it harder than the prospect of CODA winning best picture.

Yes, CODA won here, as I (with great dread) suggested might happen. Let's hope it's strictly a Little Miss Sunshine PGA/SAG thing. Because it would be one of the worst best picture choices I could imagine.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures: CODA
Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures: Encanto
Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Pictures: Summer of Soul
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Being the Ricardos is celebrated more by Aaron Sorkin fetishists than Nicole Kidman fans. Olivia Colman might end up with a second Oscar before Nicole.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:I'm sure those of you on who are on Twitter saw this, but by far the worst part about Being the Ricardos (which I didn't hate, and was mostly indifferent to) getting this nomination was the way so many of the Oscar Bloggers on Twitter tweeted in response, "Congratulations to Nicole Kidman on her second Academy Award for Best Actress", because to these guys these races have to be over as soon as possible. I would pay good money to see her not nominated, just to see the meltdown from Oscar Twitter.
Okay, this is as close to a mind-meld as you and I have ever had. I was seeing the same message all day at the AwardsWorthy site, and, as I was cleaning up after dinner just now, I found myself thinking, I'd give anything to have her not nominated, just to shut their smug mouths. (I was actually wondering which thread would be an appropriate spot to post this sentiment, so I thank you for providing me this opening.)

The wildest part of it is, some of these same folk, till the night of the Globes -- and certainly the SAG nominations -- were equally dead-set on Kristen Stewart being unbeatable. Bringing to mind the old saying, Frequently wrong, but never in doubt.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm sure those of you on who are on Twitter saw this, but by far the worst part about Being the Ricardos (which I didn't hate, and was mostly indifferent to) getting this nomination was the way so many of the Oscar Bloggers on Twitter tweeted in response, "Congratulations to Nicole Kidman on her second Academy Award for Best Actress", because to these guys these races have to be over as soon as possible. I would pay good money to see her not nominated, just to see the meltdown from Oscar Twitter.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

DGA hasn't announced so it's not over but House of Gucci looks pretty dead. It couldn't get a PGA nomination in a generally weak field nor could it grab a WGA nomination over Nightmare Alley. I don't know whether it was considered a Drama or a Comedy but House of Gucci was a pretty well-edited thing.

Spider-Man: No Way Home is over.

So far, the movie that has had the biggest day thus far is Tick, Tick... Boom! It has a PGA nomination, an Eddie, and a WGA nomination. It was borderline for all three of those. Considering that it's Lin Manuel Miranda's first feature, it's likely going to get a DGA nomination as well.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

As close to a vanilla list as the PGA could manage. Let me be first to say "If Spider Man couldn't slip in here..." Also, House of Gucci kind of needed this if it was going to seriously contend for an AMPAS best picture slot.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

PGA Nominations

Post by Sabin »

Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures

“Being the Ricardos”
Producer: Todd Black, p.g.a.

“Belfast”
Producers: Laura Berwick, Kenneth Branagh, Becca Kovacik, Tamar Thomas

“CODA”
Producers: Philippe Rousselet, p.g.a., Fabrice Gianfermi, p.g.a., Patrick Wachsberger, p.g.a.

“Don’t Look Up”
Producers: Adam McKay, p.g.a., Kevin Messick, p.g.a.

“Dune”
Producers: Mary Parent, p.g.a., Cale Boyter, p.g.a., Denis Villeneuve, p.g.a.

“King Richard”
Producers: Tim White, p.g.a., Trevor White, p.g.a., Will Smith, p.g.a.

“Licorice Pizza”
Producers: Sara Murphy, Paul Thomas Anderson, Adam Somner

“The Power of the Dog”
Producers: Jane Campion, p.g.a., Tanya Seghatchian, p.g.a., Emile Sherman, p.g.a. & Iain Canning, p.g.a., Roger Frappier, p.g.a.

“tick, tick…BOOM!”
Producers: Julie Oh, p.g.a., Lin-Manuel Miranda, p.g.a.

“West Side Story”
Producers: Steven Spielberg, p.g.a., Kristie Macosko Krieger, p.g.a.

Award for Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures

“Encanto”
Producers: Yvett Merino, p.g.a., Clark Spencer, p.g.a.

“Luca”
Producers: Andrea Warren, p.g.a.

“The Mitchells vs. The Machines”
Producers: Phil Lord, p.g.a. & Christopher Miller, p.g.a., Kurt Albrecht, p.g.a.

“Raya and the Last Dragon”
Producers: Osnat Shurer, p.g.a., Peter Del Vecho, p.g.a.

“Sing 2”
Producers: Chris Meledandri, p.g.a., Janet Healy, p.g.a.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “94th Academy Awards”