The Official Review Thread of 2006

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

SNAKES ON A PLANE
Cast: Samuel L. Jackson, Julianna Margulies, Nathan Phillips, Rachel Blanchard, Flex Alexander, Bobby Cannavale, Kenan Thompson, Todd Louiso, Byron Lawson.
Dir: David R. Ellis

I can't believe I'm going to say this: I really enjoyed watching those motherf*cking snakes wreck havoc on the motherf*cking plane. Yes, the premise is absolutely ridiculous and the film knows it. Yes, it could have been a lot better, campier, etc. in the hands of a better director but, motherf*cker, I enjoyed it. It's one of the better summer movies out there.

Grade: B
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Step Up (aka Let's Dance, at least here in the Czech Republic): **1/2

The old saw about the rich girl and the poor boy: this time, she (Jenna Dewan) is a dancer at a Baltimore performing arts high school and he (Channing Tatum)--a street kid who really knows how to bust a move--is doing community service at the school. Totally by the numbers--you just know how that final reel is going to unfold--but bouyed up a notch thanks to a script that manages provide depth even for the supporting characters, a likable cast and impressive dance numbers.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Has anyone else here seen Akeelah and the Bee?

I saw this the other night, previewing the dvd that comes out next Tuesday. It is surprisingly wonderful. I had wondered why critics like Roger Ebert were gushing about it, thinking "how could a spelling bee movie be that good?" Yet there it is, a beautifully acted and emotionally satisfying drama that involves an 11 year old girl trying to win the National Spelling Bee contest.

I also had the misfortune of seeing the dvd for Poseidon, which had none of the excitement or endearing characters of the original. Richard Dreyfuss disappears at some point, only to reappear at the very end. Truly a waste of resources.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

KUBRADOR (THE BET COLLECTOR)
Cast: Gina Pareno, Soliman Cruz, Johnny Manahan.
Dir: Jeffrey Jeturian

Another terrific entry in what I can best describe as a Filipino New Wave of very good films of recent years. A kubrador is an illegal numbers game (a form of small-time gambling) patronized largely by the poor and profited off by corrupt politicians and big-time criminals. Underrated veteran Filipino character actress Gina Pareno gives an excellent performance in her first lead role in I don't know how many years as a typical collector of the wagers. This film is making its rounds in film festivals all around the world. Watch out for it.

Grade: A-
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Miami Vice **

I never watched the original series (it aired directly opposite Falcon Crest), so all I remember is the program's impact on the culture: the music and lots of pastel colors. And while I've liked some of Mann's films (notably, The Last of the Mohicans and The Insider), I don't worship at his shrine. So I went into this not expecting much...and was still disappointed. The best part of the film--despite some egregious platitudes passing for dialogue--is the chemistry between Colin Farrell and Gong Li. Otherwise, this movie is a dull, shallow affair, mucked up by excessive use of hand-held cameras and rapid-fire editing (I really wish Hollywood would realize that mixing these techniques simply does not work on a big screen), and compromised by what appeared to be a rather repulsive racist and sexist slant.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

The Lady in the Water

(somehow I feel like I should post this in the Lady in the Water thread, but ...)

I've liked some of Shyamalan's films (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs) and found some things to like in others (Wide Awake and The Village), but this movie is nothing without Paul Giamatti.

The story not only goes in fits and starts, but the characters spend most of the movie telling us what they are doing and who they are instead of doing much of anything. I felt like someone had filmed a rough draft while in rehearsal and added some special effects to make it look better. Such a disappointment. Yet I didn't feel that it was bad to see it.

The actors do try to make it interesting, even Shyamalan, but everytime I thought something was going to happen the characters talked about what they should be doing. That was annoying. Despite all the explanations, in the end it felt like there was no point to all that waiting. Maybe this is one of those times where actions would have spoken louder than words.

*1/2
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Don't know if this is the correct place for this link, but here's an editorial from the Washington Post about Oliver Stone's World Trade Center movie.

Post Apologizes for Skepticism Toward Stone
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:My Super Ex-Girlfriend (**) is an aimlessly silly comedy with a few genuine bright spots, but far too many dead parts, and it's a shameful waste of a talented cast.

And it made no money. Even in these modern tmes in which we find ourselves living, prople don't want to pay good money to see a wanton slut on the screen.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

A Scanner Darkly is a very cool viewing experience thanks to its integrated rotoscope animation. However, the story overall was somewhat convoluted, and Robert Downey Jr.'s amazing performance was marred thanks to inadequate sound systems at the Uptown that caused much of his mile-a-second dialogue to blend together in mush. Probably a better bet for DVD.
Grade: B-

An Inconvenient Truth is the year's scariest movie, and should be essential viewing for anyone concerned about the status of the planet. There is no doubt Al Gore tunes the scientific talk down for the mainstream audiences, but hopefully people with enough concern for the issue will wade deeper, prompted by this movie. I must say I am a little disgusted by some cynical reviews I've seen (not on this board) who denouce this as merely a vehicle for his 2008 run for the White House: sure I could have done without the sequences of Gore tinkering with his PowerPoint and the overly melodramatic reminiscences of his youth, but the issue of global warming itself cannot be escaped. Just today here in Calgary it reached 35 degrees (Celcius), and within an hour of that peak, a torrential downpour ensued: not very typical Canadian weather. And yes, all our igloos melted! People need to see this movie as a representation of the damage done to the planet and the scary potential future, not as a Democrat trying to get into office.
Grade: A-
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (**) is an aimlessly silly comedy with a few genuine bright spots, but far too many dead parts, and it's a shameful waste of a talented cast.

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Saw THANK YOU FOR SMOKING at the cheapies last night and I had a blast. It is a sharp and witty movie that had me laughing out loud several times throughout. The ensemble cast was perfect - although Cameron Bright can't not creep me out, he's too much like a Child of the Corn. Very feminine eyes.... Anyway, I especially enjoyed Rob Lowe as the sleazy Hollywood huckster, a flipside to his good-guy Sam Seaborn on the West Wing. Overall, the movie had the feel of the Royal Tenenbaums: talented and spot-on ensemble working with a great storyline and dialogue. I have no doubt that repeat viewings will make the movie resonate deeper, but on the first viewing, I enjoyed the accessible humour and the "cigarettes saved your life" development.
Overall grade: A-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

LADY IN THE WATER
Cast: Paul Giamatti, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bob Balaban, Jeffrey Wright, Sarita Choudhury, Cindy Cheung, M. Night Shyamalan, Freddy Rodriguez, Bill Irwin, Mary Beth Hurt, Jared Harris, Tovah Feldshuh, Joseph D. Reitman, Noah Grey-Cabey.
Dir: M. Night Shyamalan

Promising idea but the convoluted twists and the pretentiousness of Shyamalan's script undermined any charm it could have had. Giamatti saves the film with his performance. Howard and the rest of cast were wasted.

Oscar Prospects: It isn't his best work but I hope the Academy will FINALLY recognize Christopher Doyle with this one. Original Score also possible.

Grade: C
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

I recently re-listened to "Daydream Nation", and I realized I still love Sonic Youth. Or at least that disc.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:
MovieWes wrote:It was anonymous who created this thread, not Sonic Youth.

This particular version, perhaps; but it was Sonic who originated the idea of a thread devoted to those films not worth a section of their own.

Honestly, I think this discussion seems much more suited to a private message, especially if anonymous is the only recent transgressor of Sonic's original rule.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

MovieWes wrote:It was anonymous who created this thread, not Sonic Youth.
This particular version, perhaps; but it was Sonic who originated the idea of a thread devoted to those films not worth a section of their own.

Return to “2000 - 2007”