The Dark Knight

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think there's something else to the story that hasn't surfaced yet.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Whoa...what?

Christian Bale Arrested for Alleged Assault

Batman's Christian Bale was arrested in London Tuesday, following assault allegations reportedly made by his own mother and sister. Bale, 34, allegedly lashed out at his mother Jenny, 61, and sister Sharon, 40, on Sunday at London's Dorchester hotel, where the actor was staying before Monday's U.K. premiere of The Dark Knight. According to Britain's The Sun newspaper, Bale's mother and sister went to a police station in Hampshire Monday, which turned the case over to London officers. “A 34-year-old man attended a central London police station this morning, by appointment, and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault," a police spokesman told People.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:Ok. This Oscar crap is out of hand. Now a poll on Variety's website lists Ledger as a contender for Best Actor.
If it's just a poll then what is there to worry about? The good amount of the general public doesn't know the difference between leading and supporting.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

He certainly does own the film in a leading actor way, but I would agree that his performance is unquestionably supporting (which is where he'll be nominated). I also think The Original BJ has it right in that the "bird in the hand" rule guarantees a nomination at this point. The instant iconic status of the role begs comparison to Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter, Bates' Annie Wilkes and even Javier Bardem just last year: all-time villain performances. There are roles/performances such as this that instantly enter into canon.

Edited By flipp525 on 1216736158
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ok. This Oscar crap is out of hand. Now a poll on Variety's website lists Ledger as a contender for Best Actor.

If the push is for Actor, I say he will get left off. Simply b/c most will believe his nod should be in support and we know how category confusion can screw a performance as bubble-like as Ledger's. And if he DOES get nominated for Actor, he will unquestionably lose. Supporting Actor is the only category in which he has a chance at all, even if it is an intensely slim chance, but Best Actor will not go to Ledger.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Trust me fellas, crack is not good for ya.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:Ultimately, the biggest problem with 'The Dark Knight' is that it bites off a plot so dense that it doesn't have time to breathe and really explore the moments, the pause, and the hesitancy. That was the biggest problem with 'Batman Begins'. At a certain point, I want a plate beneath my steak. Though in the case of 'Batman Begins' it was more of a burger you paid way too much for that was still good but nowhere near what it was made out to be...

In my mind, not only were the plot, themes and characters all well explored in The Dark Knight (certain characters obviously took center stage over others -- i.e., Harvey Dent and the Joker arguably experienced more of an arc than the main character himself), but the through-line was consistent and the mise-en-scène unwaveringly well-wrought.

The thing about this new Nolan-brand Batman saga, for me, is that it comes from a much more real (and arguably terrifying) place. Rather than set the story in a mythical, fantastical setting, the realistic locales and logical genesis and development of the villains/heroes as genuine, complex and flawed individuals has allowed me to invest more in the story as a whole. There are no wink-wink, nudges-nudges to the audience that other explorations of known characters have indulged in in the past. This movie (and Batman Begins as well) doesn't talk down to its audience. It respects our association with the characters and story, yet asks us to put certain preconceptions aside in order to explore traditional themes from a new and exciting place.

And, frankly, I'd much rather the film "bite off" a dense plot and leave parts of the narrative to explore later on down the line, then rely on facile storytelling. I admire the Nolans for taking their time in creating a new mythology for what had become a tired laughingstock of a franchise.

Edited By flipp525 on 1216684512

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

MORE SPOILER ANSWERS...
...key discourse in the movie...
"Why's he running?"
"So we can chase him." (or catch him)

Joker's caught. Once the villain is caught, you can start asking rationale questions. When the villain is out there (The Bat Man), you can't. They don't want questions. They want pursuit.

Ultimately, the biggest problem with 'The Dark Knight' is that it bites off a plot so dense that it doesn't have time to breathe and really explore the moments, the pause, and the hesitancy. That was the biggest problem with 'Batman Begins'. At a certain point, I want a plate beneath my steak. Though in the case of 'Batman Begins' it was more of a burger you paid way too much for that was still good but nowhere near what it was made out to be...

In the 'Batman' comics, Batman develops a kind of surveillance system that he monitors at all times. Thematically, it was a strong idea for the character because he can watch in wait. Were Wayne/Batman truly fleshed out in this movie, the schism between the Batman that is and the Batman that the city needed would be more apparent. Of course he's going to operate outside the law totally. The problem is that it is introduced as a plot device rather than a gradual obsession of the character's.

I've heard there is a three hour cut of this movie. I can't wait.
"How's the despair?"
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Did anyone see this movie on an IMAX screen? I'm waiting to see it on the IMAX (my first ever IMAX experience) and was wondering if anyone had any comments on it. I know Chris Nolan used IMAX cameras while shooting so it should be good.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I can agree with you on those points OG.

On another note, Goyer has stated in an interview that he might be looking at drawing from the Knightfall arc for the third film. I think it's too soon for that story IMO. Meanwhile, Bale's favorite is The Dark Victory graphic novel. I haven't read that one though.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

SPOILERS

So, I was thinking about the film and why I wasn't willing to give it ****. And the two issues I mentioned were the most glaring. So, I was thinking why would anyone as clever as the Nolans leave such a glaring flaw at the end of the film, then I realized why Batman wanted to take the credit. The Joker was very publicly hung out to dry elsewhere...yet Harvey Dent lay dead at a ruined edifice far from The Joker...a crime he could not have engineered. So, here's Batman standing there and it's less about the "five" deaths but Harvey's death that Batman is telling the commissioner to assign him the blame.

And I'll also give them credit for at least destroying the mass-eavesdropper and putting that decision in the hands of Lucius Fox and him making the morally valid decision. He after all, was only using the device to isolate The Joker's voice. He didn't actually listen in on any calls. Of course, it's far superior to what the government is doing. So, while I think it unecessary to have included it at all (because we already know from other scenes that Batman has no qualms about doing immoral things), at least it was destroyed in the end.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:Incredible film. I'm still not over it, so more to come later. I'd definitely support a Best Picture nod for this. And Ledger's performance is the stuff of legend. It's almost transcendently good.
I'm with you on this one Flipp.

SPOILER WARNING

And with the spoiler responses OG, I guess there are just some things that are added for dramatic and story telling purposes - even if they aren't executed in the best way possible. When it comes to #2, I never even thought of it as propaganda. Batman does a lot of things that are morally questionable, and that's why he wanted someone like Dent to take over. He wanted someone to do things effectively by the books and that's why he allows the people of Gotham to hate him. I'm not going to attempt to sway your opinions, but I thought I'd put that out there.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

SPOILER ANSWER RESPONSES

1. Regardless, that doesn't stop the living individual from telling everyone it was Dent. Hole in logic.

2. But that's the thing, it was unnecessary as a plot element. I don't care that Batman would do such a thing or that Fox was morally opposed to it (but look, he did it anyway). My problem is that it wasn't important to the story. It didn't need to be there and the fact that it was makes it look like right-wing propoganda which doesn't really fit into the framework of the film's pro-Libertarian/Liberal bent.
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Incredible film. I'm still not over it, so more to come later. I'd definitely support a Best Picture nod for this. And Ledger's performance is the stuff of legend. It's almost transcendently good.

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

SPOILER ANSWERS

1. Two-face let one of them live. They still could have blamed the Joker - but the Joker doesn't let people live.

2. That's the thing, Batman works outside the law. He doesn't care if people look up to him for morality and even then - Fox didn't like that he had to go that route. He chose something immoral and after a series of events he now must run from the law.

Return to “2008”