[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Penelope wrote:Original Score '82: I have no compunction about taking away John Williams' Oscar for E.T. and giving it to Jerry Goldsmith for Poltergeist.

FilmFan: Best Original Song 1984 (ie, the battle of the #1's)
I'm so glad you feel the same way I do. Although I think E.T. is about as good as John Williams has ever been, I still say Poltergeist is on the whole a richer piece of music.

I wouldn't be surprised if I thought at least Dirty Pretty Things was better a better script than Lost in Translation. I'm almost positive I'd think In America was, had I bothered to see it.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:Can I join in the fun?
I was wondering when you'd want to join in! I believe we're in the third round of the current tournament, so you'll be first in the next round--Rain Bard, you'll come before Flipp. I'll have the new lineup soon.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Can I join in the fun?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eric, it's just my opinion, but I thought the scripts for Dirty Pretty Things and The Barbarian Invasions were better than Lost in Translation.

Original Score '82: I have no compunction about taking away John Williams' Oscar for E.T. and giving it to Jerry Goldsmith for Poltergeist.

FilmFan: Best Original Song 1984 (ie, the battle of the #1's)
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Forcing me to use a pass, I see. Can't award an alternate for Lost In Translation as it's the only one I've seen.

Am I still choosing categories for you Pen? If so, you can have Best Original Score, 1982.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sorry guys, I meant to put up a message saying I'd be gone for a couple days and skip me, but I forgot, didn't want to keep you waiting, my bad

I choose a pass for Gregory Peck

Eric- Best Original Screenplay 2003
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I’ve only seen bits of Fiddler on the Roof, but from what I’ve seen the cinematography is OK, forgettable work. Haven’t seen Nicholas & Alexandra and Roizman’s French Connection work is no better or worse than a million TV cop shows. So it’s down to Surtees vs. himself. And while he gives an admirably dreamy, haunting look to Summer of 42, I could never vote against The Last Picture Show, one of the most starkly beautiful films of the 70s.

Bog - best actor, 1962
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

RE: 1946's Best Director.

Jesus, what a lineup. Worst thing you can say about the weak line (Brown) is that his work is only modest and lovely. Every one of these nominees is a craftsman at the top of their game. 'Brief Encounter' and 'It's a Wonderful Life' are two of my favorite films ever, very much on my short list, and while Lean's movie never makes a misstep and it's impossible NOT to attribute its successes to his steady hand, that 'It's a Wonderful Life' maintains such uplift after such tortuous purgatory for almost two hours is damn near miraculous. It's the Christmas miracle equivalent of an orgasm.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

This is a tough category for me. None of these filmmakers are on my list of all-time favorites, but these respective films represent them at their peaks for the most part.

Clarence Brown goes out first. The Yearling is enjoyable enough, but an Oscar nomination is a little much, especially considering some of the people who were overlooked.

Now it gets tough. Brief Encounter is probably my favorite of Lean's films--I've never been a huge fan of the epics--but I wonder how much of the power comes from Lean's directing (which is good) and how much comes from Celia Johnston's performance and the use of the Rach-2. Then it's a tossup. The Killers is a great film noir, and it's a curiosity that Siodmak never apparently made many other interesting films (I haven't seen any others.). The Best Years of Our Lives is by far my favorite Wyler, and It's A Wonderful Life is far beyond the simple Christmas classic it's considered; it (as well as Best Years) is a perfect counterpoint to the postwar optimism of 1946.

I can't think of another lineup where I'd vote for Wyler, but Capra would probably get my vote in another lineup, and of course there would never be another chance for Siodmak. Like I said--it's basically a tossup. This is tough, but, flipping a three-sided coin in my head, I'll use one of my passes and let Wyler keep it.

Rudeboy: Best Cinematography, 1971.

Edited By dws1982 on 1196982715
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Oh so that's how it's gonna be, huh? Making me use a "pass" on my first try out- and on a performance category, no less?

Morita's role is an embarrassment. Caesar chews scenery in a not-very-good movie. Malkovich plays one of those noxious "saintly sage" disability roles, mugging for Oscar. Richardson I don't remember, I think I saw that movie on a plane when I was twelve years old.

But when you've re-watched The Killing Fields while sitting on the floor of a Siem Riep guest house, at the behest of its owner, it takes on a certain significance to you. And Ngor is the best thing in the movie, too. No way I'm depriving him of that Oscar.

Okay, dws: Best Director, 1946.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Shoot. I don't want to pass either but 'Fargo' is for me an incredibly strong piece of writing. And yet, 'Lone Star' may be the stronger one. I'm giving it to John Sayles.

I'm tossing rain bard Best Supporting Actor 1984.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Okri wrote:(Though I thought we were sticking with 1944 onwards).
Oops, it slipped my mind. I just wanted to do that year due to the amount of Best Picture noms.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

And, don't forget, Sabin, after you is now Rain Bard and then dws.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Just please watch what you assign me if it's older since I am still working my way through lots of older films.

As far as 1992, that's one of the easiest changes I could imagine.

Hands down: The Crying Game for Best Picture.

Next, I think is Sabin, so I'll give him Best Original Screenplay 1996.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Okri wrote:(Though I thought we were sticking with 1944 onwards).
I originally wanted to do all Oscar years, but narrowed it thinking people hadn't seen too many of the early films; so if nobody else has a problem with it, let's open it up to go as far back as we can....

Return to “Other Film Discussions”