The American Idol 2008 Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Zahveed wrote:I'd hope that the producers take a hint and realize that David Cook can write his own music. Just market it, don't suck the life out.
He'll have to include that dreck he sang in the end in his first album. It's in the contract. :D

That's one bright side of losing. You won't have to include that awful coronation song in your album.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'd hope that the producers take a hint and realize that David Cook can write his own music. Just market it, don't suck the life out.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Those who are fans of Archuleta shouldn't be too upset for him. He's not stuck with a shitty album requirement for his first album.
Admittedly, I'm bummed out but relieved that it is over.

On hindsight, I do believe the producers fully intended for this to happen: Archuleta was given the winner's treatment on performance night. He gave his best performance ever on the show. The media bloggers have, by and large, declared him the winner of the night based on performance. Plus they made him duet with OneRepublic to prove to his naysayers that he is, in fact, current and modern and, IMO, he proved it with that duet.

Winners put out an album first (within the year). They probably want to get him away from his dad so they're waiting for him to turn 18 (which is in the end of December) and they'll have more time to craft and mold an album that would suit him, be current and appealing to a wide audience. Cook is pretty much radio ready so they'll have no problem making money off of him sooner.
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

True OG. Except that Cook's fanbase aren't people who swoon at prepubescent singers belting ballads. And the producers have got to know that. His strengths are cover songs -- the studio versions of "Billie Jean" and "Always Be My Baby" are immensely popular. If they want to milk him, they'll let him continue in this area and he will do very well. The problem in the past is that they've always chosen winners who could (for better or worse) do the ballads and banal pop songs. Cook is the first interesting choice they've made in seven years.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While I'm not a fan of David Cook's, I'm glad and then not-so-glad that he won. As a winner, he's going to be forced to record a shitty first album (anyone ever hear the wonderful Fantasia's absolutely horrid first album?).

Those who are fans of Archuleta shouldn't be too upset for him. He's not stuck with a shitty album requirement for his first album.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

Oh yeah, and there hasn't been an American Idol this deserving since Kelly Clarkson. Way to go David Cook!
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

DAVID COOK WON!!!! A HA HA HA HA HA!! Yes! I'm so glad! So deserving! Wow, for once an American voting public got something right. The only reason I feel sorry for Archuleta is that his dad will probably beat him tonight for losing. (And I'm glad Simon and the other judges who lost all integrity for fawning over Cook week after week even when he did nothing remarkable, now look completely stupid. Hell they proclaimed him the winner last night and America said, "Whoa! Back that shit up.")

Seriously though, someone better put anonymous on suicide watch...
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Well, Cook won. I'm glad.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

cam wrote:Tonight or tomorrow we will we have posts from certain people:
1) If Cook wins: they knew it all along, and they were right
2) If Archuleta wins: The contest was rigged, and the judges had it in for Cook.

------

Gentlemen: this is all a matter of opinion, just as films are: we have favourites, we actively dislike someone else. There is no need to be personally insulting.
Good lord...
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

cam wrote:2) If Archuleta wins: The contest was rigged, and the judges had it in for Cook.

Based on the numbers I've seen at Dial Idol, which has always predicted the winner correctly, and has only had a single "safe" contestant voted off all year (and she was only barely in the safe territory), Archie would have to have overwhelmingly dominated the text votes (by a 3-1 margin or so) in order to legitimately win.

-------------------
Simon is now saying on the Red Carpet that watching it back, it's much different, because it's so loud in theatre, etc., and that last night was a draw.

Edited By dws1982 on 1211413845
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Gentlemen: this is all a matter of opinion, just as films are: we have favourites, we actively dislike someone else. There is no need to be personally insulting, when it is not even up to "critics" anyway: it is all being engineered by teeny-boppers. Let's remember that.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Tonight or tomorrow we will we have posts from certain people:
1) If Cook wins: they knew it all along, and they were right
2) If Archuleta wins: The contest was rigged, and the judges had it in for Cook.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I would appreciate it if you would basically stop referencing me in this thread, cam. It's taken on this weird vindictive quality that I find quite unappealing. I haven't even posted anything about last night's episode (mainly because a. I haven't watched it and b. I just don't care anymore), yet you're still talking about me which I find utterly bizarre.

And when Babel won what Oscar? Best Original Score? I think you're going senile.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

OscarGuy wrote:If they announce Archuleta as the winner, especially with the wide margin DialIdol is giving him, it would only confirm in many of our minds that the competition is rigged.
Exactly. Well said!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My rankings for the finale night:

Clive's Choice:

01. David Archuleta ("Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me") - He completely topped "Imagine" with this one. This is not only his best performance but I think it's THE performance of the season. Quite a few Idol performances have given me chills and goosebumps. This one got me misty-eyed. The kid really gave it his all on this song.

02. David Cook ("I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For") - I thought it was an excellent performance. It was entertaining, rousing even but I think it paled in comparison with Archuleta's.

Winner's Single:

01. David Archuleta ("In This Moment") - Well, the song's awful but I think if anyone sold it and made it listenable, it was Archie.

02. David Cook ("Dream Big") - Also an awful song and Cook made the best of it. But it isn't as rousing as Archie's.

Contestant's Choice:

01. David Archuleta ("Imagine") - It wasn't as good as the first time. But still reminded me why I fell in love with his voice.

02. David Cook ("The World I Know") - Another solid performance by Cook but I didn't feel it was one of his best. I think this round is a tie.

Should win: David Archuleta (duh!)

Will win: No idea.

Return to “Broadcast Media”