Shakespeare in Love
23%
The Thin Red Line
34%

Total votes: 56

atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Steph2 wrote:Saving Private Ryan wasn't even the best war film of 1998, let alone of all time! I'd like to say it's my least favorite film here but I can't in good conscience rate it lower than Elizabeth. Did anyone else think the HBO Miniseries (with Helen Mirren) was much better than this silly Cate Blanchett film?
Again, Saving Private Ryan is the best war film I have seen. I'm not arrogant enough to claim it is better than all of those war films I have yet to see.

Funny you should bring that up, Steph. Absolutely. I was found the HBO Elizabeth I quite interesting.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

It was fun! Aakash is all kinds of lovely. And now I am behind on work as well. So naturally I'm here wasting more time.

Saving Private Ryan wasn't even the best war film of 1998, let alone of all time! I'd like to say it's my least favorite film here but I can't in good conscience rate it lower than Elizabeth. Did anyone else think the HBO Miniseries (with Helen Mirren) was much better than this silly Cate Blanchett film?

Sabin, after catching up with 1998 a couple of years ago, I'd have to say Rushmore was my favorite film of that year as well.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

We met here.

Edited By Akash on 1196662249
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

So, is that how Steph found us, or did you two find each other here at UAADB.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Damien wrote:Steph is there in New Haven? Excellent!
So jealous! You guys should joint-post something.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:Yes and sadly, I'm procrastinating more than I should. And by procrastinating I mean playing with friends...including Steph!
Steph is there in New Haven? Excellent!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:LOL I can tell you're in the middle of law school exams.
Yes and sadly, I'm procrastinating more than I should. And by procrastinating I mean playing with friends...including Steph!
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Akash wrote:I'll allow the question.
:D :D :D :D
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:I'll allow the question.
LOL I can tell you're in the middle of law school exams.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'll allow the question.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

FilmFan720 wrote:
atomicage wrote:My opinion is that Saving Private Ryan is the best war film I have yet to see. Now, come time I see these films you've recommended, that opinion is liable to change. But from what I have seen, Ryan is definitely one I respect.

Now, have you ever actually seen another war film?
What kind of question is that?

Yes, FilmFan, I have seen a few war films in my day.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

atomicage wrote:My opinion is that Saving Private Ryan is the best war film I have yet to see. Now, come time I see these films you've recommended, that opinion is liable to change. But from what I have seen, Ryan is definitely one I respect.
Now, have you ever actually seen another war film?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

OscarGuy wrote:There's also All Quiet on the Western Front (though it's more in the anti-war side like Thin Red Line, which I consider a masterful film).
Understand, I enjoyed Thin Red Line. But if somebody asked me which I wanted to watch, Ryan or Red Line, I would say Ryan. That's what he comes down to.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There's also All Quiet on the Western Front (though it's more in the anti-war side like Thin Red Line, which I consider a masterful film).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Please, feel free to disagree. After all, this is a discussion board, and we are free to discuss our opinions. My opinion is that Saving Private Ryan is the best war film I have yet to see. Now, come time I see these films you've recommended, that opinion is liable to change. But from what I have seen, Ryan is definitely one I respect.

Return to “The 8th Decade”