Writer's Guild

1998 through 2007
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Atonement is over. Even Cold Mountain scored with WGA.

At this point, a complete Top 8 shut-out wouldn't be impossible.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Yay for Zodiac!
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Damien wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Three solo women in one category seems like it must be unprecedented.

if BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD replaces KNOCKED UP (hopefully) at the oscars, it could be four women and lonely tony gilroy

Kelly Masterson is a man, although on the basis of the screenplay for that movie, I have my doubts that he's even a human being.
whoops! :p
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This just in. In Entertainment Weekly's annual Oscar Prediction issue, they've put Atonement in the Best Picture's "For Your Consideration..." slot.

(That was a joke.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

rolotomasi99 wrote:ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

JUNO, Written by Diablo Cody, Fox Searchlight

MICHAEL CLAYTON, Written by Tony Gilroy, Warner Bros. Pictures

THE SAVAGES, Written by Tamara Jenkins, Fox Searchlight

KNOCKED UP, Written by Judd Apatow, Universal Pictures

LARS AND THE REAL GIRL, Written by Nancy Oliver, MGM

--------------

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, Screenplay by Ethan Coen & Joel Coen, Based on the Novel by Cormac McCarthy, Miramax

THERE WILL BE BLOOD, Screenplay by Paul Thomas Anderson, Based on the Novel Oil by Upton Sinclair, Paramount Vantage

THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY, Screenplay by Ronald Harwood, Based on the Book by Jean-Dominique Bauby, Miramax

INTO THE WILD, Screenplay by Sean Penn, Based on the Book by Jon Krakauer, Paramount Vantage

ZODIAC, Screenplay by James Vanderbilt, Based on the Book by Robert Graysmith, Paramount Pictures

Awards Daily has noticed that the WGA did not release this list in alphabetical order, as they (and every other group in existence) usually do. It was theorized that they accidentally submitted the list in vote-tally order.

Of course, there's no way to know, but one look at the lists suggests they may be on the money. In which case, "Juno" and "No Country" reveal once again that they're frontrunners. But it's also excellent news for alleged 2nd place finishers "Michael Clayton" (Damien was right about the industry support) and "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount is clearly doing it's part to make sure the voters see it; and however divisive it may be, its support is powerful enough).

And it would be excellent news for alleged 3rd place "Diving Bell". For all the late-but-not-too-late peaking "Juno" and "Blood" are celebrating, "Diving Bell" is riding a small but significant wave of its own.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1200014350
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Three solo women in one category seems like it must be unprecedented.

if BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD replaces KNOCKED UP (hopefully) at the oscars, it could be four women and lonely tony gilroy
Kelly Masterson is a man, although on the basis of the screenplay for that movie, I have my doubts that he's even a human being.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

NONE of you will be going after Paul Rudd. He's straight. He's mine.

And yet another Guild goes for No Country and There Will Be Blood. If the Producers Guild does the same, I think these two could be considered Best Picture locks (No Country already can) and that's kind of amazing.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eric wrote:
flipp525 wrote:unfuckable, horny straight boy lust garble

I'll take Paul Rudd any day over every last soap opera Ken doll.
Great. We'll never be going after the same guys then. For the record though, I was actually picturing Seth Rogan and his gaggle of horn-balls with that comment, not Paul Rudd who I actually find quite appealing as well.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eric wrote:

So would I. Too bad he was wasted in Knocked Up.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I like lars a lot...a lot more than i did dan in real life, thats for sure. I thought lars was a fun film that got better and better as it went along and to my surprise at the end i really felt great things about it....as a film it snuck on me and i have to give credit to the screenplay for taking an unbelievable idea and somehow making it work...so i'm happy with the nomination here.

Knocked up, i like it a lot too, i don't know if it deserves this nomination but ok.

Very happy for the savages...i thought the acting and the screenplay were the best parts of the film and i very much hope for it to get an oscar nom and laura linney to sneak in.

I liked zodiac...i thought it was a very good film and a very interesting film...i wouldn't nominate it here though and i do hope it gets passed up for an oscar.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:

I think writers have more taste than to go for THAT script.
if they nominate KNOCKED UP, then they have absolutely no taste. :angry:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

How Knocked Up can be considered "original" in any way is truly beyond me. A movie filled with fart jokes, pot humor and unfuckable, horny straight boy lust garble? Please. I still haven't washed that movie off of me. Although, I'll admit that I enjoyed most of Leslie Mann's dialogue.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

rolotomasi99 wrote:

I think writers have more taste than to go for THAT script.

I do think original screenplay is flexible at the Oscars, however -- Once or I'm Not There could also slip in. Though this is probably the end of American Gangster's hopes -- if Zaillian, an old Hollywood hand, couldn't crack this relatively weak category in a crony's vote, an oscar nod seems out of reach.

Adapted is WAY more competitive -- note the absence of Atonement, Away from Her, Gone Baby Gone -- yet I could see these five being replicated exactly.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Return to “The 8th Decade”