Art Directors Guild Nominations

1998 through 2007
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

But I still love Atonement....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Penelope wrote:Incidentally, I just finished watching Ratatouille. Or, rather, 2/3rds of it. I finally had to give up. What a torturously stupid movie.
You are my new best friend Penelope! :D Please, come sit over here with me and Damien.

And yes, nominating ANY animated film for set decoration is incredibly stupid.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Big Magilla wrote:I thought the Oscar was for Art Direction AND Set Decoration. How can you give an award for set decoration if there is no set to decorate?
Precisely.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought the Oscar was for Art Direction AND Set Decoration. How can you give an award for set decoration if there is no set to decorate?
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I completely disagree with the theory that animated films should not be recognized for Art Direction. First of all, I'm not entirely sure why something must be "constructed" to be a set. The Oscar regardless is going to the Production Designer, NOT the Construction Coordinator or anyone who actually had a hand in building the sets.

An animated film can create a visual world as inventive and detailed as any live action film. I think Beauty and the Beast, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Toy Story, and The Incredibles all feature award-worthy art direction.

Ratatouille's art direction is amazing and probably should be nominated for the Oscar.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

rolo is totally right: how an animated film can compete for Art Direction is completely baffling.

Incidentally, I just finished watching Ratatouille. Or, rather, 2/3rds of it. I finally had to give up. What a torturously stupid movie.

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i found this quote from a new york times article appropriate:

Speaking of ''Gangs of New York,'' Martin Scorsese's film will probably prove to be one of the last historical spectacles to be filmed entirely on built sets. Mr. Scorsese's art director, the brilliant Dante Ferretti, constructed the lower Manhattan of the 1850's in full scale on a back lot at the Cinecittà studios outside Rome. When George Lucas visited his old friend Mr. Scorsese on the set, he told him that he could have accomplished the same thing in the computers back at Skywalker Ranch for far less money than the millions that Mr. Scorsese spent -- and the technology certainly does exist. But when does the digital design of sets (very much on display in ''The Two Towers'') become a branch of animation, rather than art direction?

Mr. Lucas's runaway hit of last year, ''Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones,'' received only one nomination -- for visual effects, where it joined two other fantasy films, ''The Two Towers'' and ''Spider-Man.'' While the futuristic cities imagined by Mr. Lucas may not have the pulsing vivacity of Mr. Scorsese's historical reconstruction, they are undoubtedly remarkable feats of imaginative architecture. So why are they ''visual effects'' rather than art direction? The answer, apparently, is because they explode once in a while.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

abcinyvr wrote:All set designs begin with a piece of paper (or a computer screen) not a saw and a piece of wood. So there should not be any difference, it is the same craft.
so, according to this logic, someone could just draw pictures of beautifully designed sets, hold them up to the camera, and that would make them eligible for oscar nominations. hmmmm, very interesting.

it certainly would help keep film budgets from spiraling out of control. i mean, why go through the trouble of actually building a set, when drawing a picture is good enough for the academy and certain other people.

sorry, but to me a set is something tangible. in a movie, a stone wall can be built out of papier-mache, but it actually has to be built to be considered a set...otherwise it is just a special effect.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

OscarGuy wrote:I shouldn't be shocked, but it's amazing that a film rendered completely digitally gets recognized in a category with flesh-and-blood sets

I was very disappointed that The Incredibles did not get an Art Direction nomination at the Oscars.
All set designs begin with a piece of paper (or a computer screen) not a saw and a piece of wood. So there should not be any difference, it is the same craft.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I'm surprised that they left I Am Legend out of the fantasy category. The abandoned post-apocalyptic New York City is one of the most impressive set pieces of the year. It's certainly more interesting than the CGI sets of 300 or the been-there/done-that Hogwarts set of Harry Potter. Actually, it's more interesting than any of the fantasy nominees.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

With the absence of Assassination..., Zodiac and 3:10 to Yuma, it seems that There Will Be Blood will get this one.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Definitely agree that Zodiac was overlooked. The attention to detail was amazing, down to the basketball backboards in the school yard. Even if much of it was accomplished digitally, it was beautiful work.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Zodaic' is absolutely one of the best art directed films of the year. A perfect evocation.

I anticipate the following winners...'Sweeney Todd'...'300'...and 'No Country for Old Men'.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm updating my site and suddenly realized that RATATOUILLE was nominated...The Incredibles was the first animated film ever nominated for the ADG award, Ratatouille's the second. I guess I shouldn't be shocked, but it's amazing that a film rendered completely digitally gets recognized in a category with flesh-and-blood sets...but that may explain why 300 was nominated...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Penelope wrote:I think [Zodiac] is very overrated.
blasphemy! :p

Return to “The 8th Decade”