There Will Be Blood

Musical/Comedy
Charlie Wilson's War
Hairspray
Juno
Knocked Up
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Edited By MovieWes on 1199944773
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:Which only proves gay men have better taste.
you and i often disagree, but calling CRASH "better taste" is pretty ridiculous. MUNICH, GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, hell even THE CONSTANT GARDENER, would have been acceptable alternatives, but CRASH!!!!! :angry:

whatever, to each their own. i am assuming you are rooting for LIONS FOR LAMBS or RENDITION to win best picture this year. they fit that similar preachy make-a-difference type of cinema that people who liked CRASH respond to so well. :cool:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Which only proves gay men have better taste.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:
the power of the editors cannot be denied, as we learned with BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

Yeah. It was the lack of an editing nomination that killed 'Brokeback Mountain'. Not the fact that it's a gay cowboy movie. If they used multiple shots during anal sex, then it would've sold it to Academy voters. You can't do a 1-y. If it's a 1-y, then it's just showing off. And you don't want to show off during gay sex or it's just alienating to the public. Get Pietro Scalia on that shit and get some fucking coverage, queers.
maybe some "queer as folk" style hyper-editing would have helped all those crystal queens in hollywood enjoy the movie more.
i swear, all the gay men i know hated the movie more than the straight men who saw it. i think it was all those bitchy fags in the costume/set/make-up departments that swung the vote away from BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

i promise, i am not being facetious. i actually think that is what happened. even uber-hetero jack nicholson said he voted for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, but swishy tony curtis had to go on fox news and denounce the film.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

the power of the editors cannot be denied, as we learned with BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

Yeah. It was the lack of an editing nomination that killed 'Brokeback Mountain'. Not the fact that it's a gay cowboy movie. If they used multiple shots during anal sex, then it would've sold it to Academy voters. You can't do a 1-y. If it's a 1-y, then it's just showing off. And you don't want to show off during gay sex or it's just alienating to the public. Get Pietro Scalia on that shit and get some fucking coverage, queers.

ACE
BEST DRAMATIC EDITING
American Gangster
The Bourne Ultimatum
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

(for whatever reason, guessing that 'Atonement''s editors are British and will get overlooked for these domestic superstars)

BEST COMEDIC/MUSICAL EDITING
Charlie Wilson's War
Hairspray
Juno
Ratatouille
Sweeney Todd

WGA
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
American Gangster (Steve Zaillian)
Juno (Diablo Cody)
Knocked Up (Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, et al)
Lars and the Real Girl (Nancy Oliver)
Michael Clayton (Tony Gilroy)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Atonement (Christopher Hampton)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Ronald Harwood)
No Country for Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen)
Into the Wild (Sean Penn)
There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Edited By Sabin on 1199904149
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's why some amazing scripts over the years haven't been included...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

anonymous wrote:Animated films are ineligible in the WGA Awards so you should take out Ratatouille from your predictions.
wtf!?!?!?

that is such bullshit. how unfair!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Another point, anon, and one that's impossible to actually verify, is that non-WGA members are also ineligible for the awards. Both of which are stupid ideas, IMO...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Animated films are ineligible in the WGA Awards so you should take out Ratatouille from your predictions.

My personal predictions:

WGA

Original:
Eastern Promises
Juno
Knocked Up
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton

Adapted:
Atonement
Gone Baby Gone
Into the Wild
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

PGA:

MOTION PICTURES
The Diving Bell and The Butterfly
Into the Wild
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

ANIMATION
Bee Movie
Beowulf
Persepolis
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie

ACE:

DRAMA:
American Gangster
The Bourne Ultimatum
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

COMEDY/MUSICAL:
Charlie Wilson's War
Juno
Hairspray
Knocked Up
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Edited By anonymous on 1199930630
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

so the director's guild, often cited as the best barometer of the academy's interests, have announced their nominations. if those five films ended up being our best picture line-up, it certainly would continue a three year streak of the academy not picking any outright turkeys (FINDING NEVERLAND, SEABISCUIT, CHOCOLAT, etc.).

however, the other three important guilds have not weighed in yet.

--drama
3:10 TO YUMA
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY
MICHAEL CLAYTON
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
--comedy/musical
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR
HAIRSPRAY
KNOCKED UP
SWEENEY TODD

the writer's guild often go for more commercial films than the academy, but they usually align pretty well:
--adapted
ATONEMENT
CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THERE WILL BE BLOOD
--original
JUNO
KNOCKED UP
LARS AND THE REAL GIRL
MICHAEL CLAYTON
RATATOUILLE

finally, the producer's guild. since their nominees will not be announced until after the oscar ballots are turned in, their ability to influence any academy member's opinion. however, they can still give us an idea of where the academy might be leaning:
AMERICAN GANGSTER
MICHAEL CLAYTON
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
RATATOUILLE
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

some crazy predix, some pretty obvious. i still hold out hope that the academy will not be swept up into the MICHAEL CLAYTON surge, but the guild's are obviously hooked.

Return to “The 8th Decade”