DGA Nominations

1998 through 2007
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

dylanfan23 wrote:I'd much rather see 4 months get nominated and i'm almost glad diving bell isn't eligible because maybe 4 months will get a win in foreign film.

There is no way they will give an Oscar to a film that is that much of a downer - unless it is set in Europe in the 1940's. 4 Months may have fared well-ish in the guilds but I doubt it will receive a nomination for Foreign Language.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

OscarGuy wrote:Odd Film out: I think this is far easier to predict since The Diving Bell and the Butterfly while a terrific film is more akin to Barbarian Invasions than it is to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Both of which were nominees in the Foreign Language category. TDBATB is more Il Postino than either of them, as it was not chosen by Italy as it's submission that year. 'Diving Bell's' FYC ads state that it is NOT eligible in the FL category which will make AMPAS members change it's placement on their ballots.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

ITALIANO wrote:
Sabin wrote:I was the one who said I couldn't imagine anybody saying "Hon, let's go out tonight and see 'Atonement'."

Oh ok, I didn't read that. But still Original BJ seems to have a short memory sometimes, so it's always good to help him.

And by the way I didn't dislike Atonement, and I'm sure that in another year it could have been more successful with the precursors and the Oscars themselves... But not this year, definitely not.
Y'know, I didn't intend that statement to purposely exclude you, Italiano. I said Sabin might have been on to something, which is very true. But clearly that wasn't enough. So, now I'm saying for the record.....

ITALIANO MIGHT HAVE BEEN ON TO SOMETHING AS WELL!!!!!!!

Happy? You got the credit now.

The way I remember it was that you said it COULD win Best Picture but wasn't a slam-dunk like The English Patient or Titanic...AND that Joe Wright could be in trouble but the film could still be nominated. From what I remember, Sabin was the first person who made what seemed like a bold prediction that it would be left off completely.

But clearly my memory is need of great service, so thank GOD I have you to help me out. One can only wonder how I get by in life when I actually have to remember things that are more significant than who predicted the Atonement ship was sinking first.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

I was the one who said I couldn't imagine anybody saying "Hon, let's go out tonight and see 'Atonement'.

Actually, I also said that to my girlfriend, she ended up loving it, while I had reservations about the film, mostly the weak link directing of Joe Wright.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

cam wrote:
Sabin wrote:I was the one who said I couldn't imagine anybody saying "Hon, let's go out tonight and see 'Atonement'."

Gee, That's what I said to my wife!
I was the one who said I couldn't imagine anybody saying "Hon, let's go out tonight and see 'Atonement'.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Gee, That's what I said to my wife!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Oh ok, I didn't read that. But still Original BJ seems to have a short memory sometimes, so it's always good to help him.

And by the way I didn't dislike Atonement, and I'm sure that in another year it could have been more successful with the precursors and the Oscars themselves... But not this year, definitely not.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, actually it was me, but ok, no problem Original BJ...

It was both of us. You saw the thing and made the call. I was the one who said I couldn't imagine anybody saying "Hon, let's go out tonight and see 'Atonement'."
"How's the despair?"
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I understand the comparisons between letters and diving bell and i wouldn't be surprised if it was nominated. I hope it isn't because i don't think its a great film, just a very good one. I'd much rather see 4 months get nominated and i'm almost glad diving bell isn't eligible because maybe 4 months will get a win in foreign film. But letters was helped a great deal by being directed by a clint eastwood....but even though i liked letters a lot more than diving bell, a lot of people are passionate about diving bell, just as i was about letters.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

You are joking, but the way people here - you too I think? - invented the most absurd reasons for Atonement being ignored by the SAG (while it didn't take a genius to see right after the National Board of Review that it was in trouble) makes me expect the worst.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

You're on to something, Italiano. Could it be that the lack of SAG viewership for Atonement has created a ripple effect in the other guilds?

Considering the industry-wide solidarity in support of the writer's strike, I'd say this is definitely what happened. Atonement is the poor victim of mass synergy.

(I wonder when I'm ever going to see it already?)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

I'm liking this line-up too, but I'm not sure I'd say Sweeney Todd and Atonement are definitely out. I don't see Into the Wild making the final cut come Oscar time, no matter how much directors love to honor actors taking a turn behind the camera.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Original BJ wrote:Sabin might have been right all along about Atonement...

Well, actually it was me, but ok, no problem Original BJ...

Ah, but of course, even the DGA members didn't get to see the movie maybe...

Edited By ITALIANO on 1199828693
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sonic Youth wrote:I don't remember if "Diving Bell" was declared ineligible for AMPAS Foreign Language category. If it was eligible, France really dropped the ball by not picking it.

I was under the impression it was ruled ineligible due to American financing; which could be another factor in pushing it to a Best Pic nomination.

Edited By Penelope on 1199827418
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Eric wrote:OG, there's no way in hell Jason Reitman is getting a director nod. I will voluntarily leave this forum if that happens.

Anyway, it'll probably be a Juno/Sean Penn Picture/Director split.
I tend to agree with you re Juno and Penn. Why not Jason Reitman, Eric?

Return to “The 8th Decade”