Visual Effects Finalists

1998 through 2007
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

From Variety. (If this is in the wrong section, some moderator will I'm sure relocate it)

I had wondered if the question for the season was, can anything win visual effects and make the audience/voters happy? None of the blockbusters were terribly well liked; you had the feeling voters were hoping Golden Compass would save the day, but now it's in the books as a flop-ola. Is it possible they'll go for Beowulf or Ratatouille to avoid giving it to Transformers?

I say these things semi-detached from the issue, because I've seen virtually none of these)

Academy picks visual effects films
15 Oscar contenders to be considered
By DAVID S. COHEN

Posted: Sun., Dec. 16, 2007, 10:56am PT

The Motion Picture Academy’s visual effects branch made an unprecedented statement in support of visual effects in animated films as it narrowed the contenders for the vfx Oscar to 15 films that will be considered for the January “bake-off.”

The Acad included “Ratatouille” and “Beowulf” over such effects-heavy live-action pics as “Enchanted” and “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.”

The entire list of 15, in alphabetical order, is: “Beowulf,” “The Bourne Ultimatum,” “Evan Almighty,” “The Golden Compass,” “Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix,” “I Am Legend,” “Live Free Or Die Hard,” “National Treasure: Book Of Secrets,” “Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End,” “Ratatouille,” “Spider-Man 3,” “Sunshine,” “300,” “Transformers,” and “The Water Horse.”

The Academy instituted the short list this year so that its vfx branch could see all the contending films before selecting the seven that will compete in the bake-off. Three of those seven will receive nominations.

Return to “The 8th Decade”