Post-Golden Globe Nod Predictions

1998 through 2007
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Damien wrote:Well, if you think back two months, we were all startled by the huge praise Michael Clayton from critics received after having been given faint praise from the trade papers. As soon as the film opened, people on this board began calling it a potential Oscar player, depending on its reception by audiences.

i must have been distracted by all the 3:10 TO YUMA love that was being spread around. that was the middle of the road film i thought was going to possibly take a best picture nom over all the really good films this year.

poor ben foster. i remember how much so many people on this board were in love with him for his cliched, gay baiting performance. now no one, on this board or with critics' groups, seems to remember him. all that homophobia for nothing. :(

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1197664548
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Max Wilder
Graduate

Post by Max Wilder »

No love for Amy Adams? Now I'm sad.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:
VanHelsing wrote:I have this strong feeling that Peter Jackson, Mark Wahlberg and Rachel Weisz will vote for her. :laugh:

Explain this.

They are Ronan's director and co-stars in the upcoming The Lovely Bones, Big. Is Whalberg actually a member of the Academy now, though? I don't remember him being invited yet.

Edited By flipp525 on 1197665867
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

VanHelsing wrote:I have this strong feeling that Peter Jackson, Mark Wahlberg and Rachel Weisz will vote for her. :laugh:
Explain this.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Anon, I agree with your choices for the male categories. I doubt they'll let Depp lose on his 3rd try for they seem to really like him. As for Bardem, I think if Holbrook gets nominated, there is a chance Bardem will lose since they usually like to award veterans in the supporting actor category.

I don't know but I doubt they'll award another veteran for the leading actress category. I feel that they're going for young (back again) foreign talent this time round. Sorry Damien & Magilla.

As for the supporting actress category, if they have a problem with awarding Blanchett two supporting trophies, then I think Ryan is a safe bet for the win. If not, Blanchett will and deserve to have two trophies (doesn't matter if they're for supporting) in her kitty. But I think, we still cannot count out Ronan since this category is usually kind to little girls. And there is a chance Ronan could be this year's Juliette Binoche, assuming Atonement is nominated for Best Picture which is of course highly likely. And I have this strong feeling that Peter Jackson, Mark Wahlberg and Rachel Weisz will vote for her. :laugh:
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

As soon as Michael Clayton was released, I thought it would be a definite Best Picture contender (and I still think it's a likely nominee.) It's exactly the kind of unobjectionable, unrevelatory film like Erin Brockovich and The Queen that few find spectacular but sails onto the Best Picture shortlist due to a sturdy script and memorable performances.

You were right, rolo -- the reviews for Michael Clayton WERE pretty middle of the road...in other words, right up the Academy's alley.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

And I think that Tilda Swinton and Tom Wilkinson have both been in play since the film opened. The staying power of Clooney is the surprise here. I thought he was impressive, but by no means was the performance remarkable. I wouldn't find his nomination objectionable, but if McAvoy is not alongside him, I'll be pissed.

I think it's a little too soon to crown Clooney a double-Oscar winner at this point in his career, abcinyvr. I think there are far worthier performances that could (and should) take the trophy this season.

Edited By flipp525 on 1197655553
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I finally dragged myelf to see MC last week. It looked like such a dreary film, and I was burnt by Syriana and didn't want to go through that again! But I was really surprised. It is actually quite good. Not perfect by any means. Tilda Swinton is great in everything she does, and I liked Wilkinson's performance. George Clooney however looked like he finally learned how to act. His nomination is guaranteed by the final shots, running over the credits alone. If the film does end up with a BP slot (in place of a better film, no doubt) and if there is a real fight for the Best Actor Oscar then he could win by default (except for the fact that he already has a statue).
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Well, if you think back two months, we were all startled by the huge praise Michael Clayton from critics received after having been given faint praise from the trade papers. As soon as the film opened, people on this board began calling it a potential Oscar player, depending on its reception by audiences.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I didn't find Clooney's performance as Michael Clayton particularly special, but Swinton did an excellent job. Wilkson was over-the-top, but it gave the film a little more variety to what would have been straight-faced from beginning to end. All that being said, I wasn't expecting a best pic nom. Maybe one of the supporting and possilby screenplay, but nothing more.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Was MICHAEL CLAYTON a brilliant film that went unnoticed?
No, it was just the best of the middle of the road kind of films that appeal to a large segment of moviegoers. One of these types of films usually gets in. Where all these awards for Clooney are coming from, I don't know. It seems that some gorups are giving their award to the nicest guy who made a movie this year instead of the to the one that gave the best performance.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i am so confused. where has this out-of-nowhere support for MICHAEL CLAYTON come from? i have not seen the film, but the reviews seemed pretty middle of the road. no one thought it was a bad film, but no one was saying best picture as far as i know. is this sudden thrust in the spotlight due to the films true brilliance or just because so many other hollywood prestige films have fallen short?
even more confounding are all the precursor awards george clooney is receiving, along with tom wilkinson and tilda swinton. the only consistently good thing i heard about the film was the taut script. i head just as many good things as bad things about all three performances (clooney was dull, wilkson over the top, swinton underused, etc.).
i expected a screenplay nomination, but best picture and possibly three acting noms has caught me off guard. was MICHAEL CLAYTON a brilliant film that went unnoticed?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Anon wrote:Wasn't he also nominated for The Sea Inside?

Best Foreign Language Film.

I don't think Bardem can pull off a Casey Affleck in this case.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Wasn't he also nominated for The Sea Inside?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Anon wrote:Javier Bardem (another multiple-time Oscar nominee,
Actually, he's only been nominated once before; in 2000 for Best Actor for his performance in Before Night Falls.

Return to “The 8th Decade”