San Francisco Film Critics Winners

1998 through 2007
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Hustler wrote:
Don´t forget Keira Knightley[/quote]
Thanks. Of course Keira Knightley! Anyone but Jolie, hut I forgot Knightley. Now that makes five good performances.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Probably I should add Laura Linney in Savages here. I would like to see her win at last. As far as Jolie is concerned, she is not in the same class as the other three. So I guess it's these three and Canadian Ellen Page(whom everyone seems to like).
Hopefully, the fifth spot will go to someone else besides Jolie.
Don´t forget Keira Knightley
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Penelope wrote:I didn't see a disconnect in Cotillard's performance, either; I quite liked it, but it is a very Susan Hayward-esque performance--way, way over the top, in your face, acting to the bleachers, with tics and mannerisms galore; most times, this doesn't work--see Charlize Theron in Monster--but sometimes, it does, and I thought it worked here--I found Cotillard to be hypnotic.

It's interesting because Cotillard and Christie's performances are literally poles apart from each other: the former, as I say, taken to the outsized extreme, the latter a subtle, delicate, yet incisive portrayal; it's not impossible to admire both of them.
Interesting. I have the reverse opinion. While Theron's performance was overpraised (Roger Ebert's "one of the greatest performances in the history of cinema" campaign was an overstatement to say the least), I found it mostly impressive. It was "BIG" acting that at times flirted with too much, but I felt Theron created a singular character whose mannerisms felt appropriate. Theron's Wournos is wild and out of control, but I felt the soul beneath the tics, and, at the very least, her performance is consistent from beginning to end. While not a great-great Best Actress choice, I don't begrudge her a win in a year with a number of actresses I like, but not one that stands head and shoulders above the rest of the pack.

Cotillard, on the other hand, never even felt like the same person from scene to scene. Plus, I never understand why people are so impressed with lip synching -- the most impressive moments in La Vie en Rose are the performance numbers, and the astonishing voice that's coming out is not Cotillard's. And Cotillard really has to huff and puff to play the older Piaf. I adore Christie and think it would be a crime for her to lose to Cotillard...though, as I've said before, I'd take Cotillard (who is at least doing SOMETHING) any day over a lot of the Best Actress contenders (who barely register at all).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No, Cotillard did not do her own singing - in face half the time she's on stage there are voiceovers that have nothing to with singing and in other parts of the film Piaf is singing in the background while there is a montage of Cotillard over-emoting. Apparently she couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

While I thought her performance was a good one, it doesn't hold a candle to Christie's or those odl Susan Hayward biopics.

I happened to watch the DVDs of La Vie en Rose and With a Song in My Heart back to back. Audiences of 55 years ago expected more from their stars and they got it. Hayward lip synched to Jane Froman's songs flawlessly whether moving her arms in Froman's flamboyant manner early on or standing perfectly still after her near fatal plane crash. And Hayward didn't hog the camera either. She lets Thelma Ritter steal whole scenes from her and generously sings one of her big numbers to Robert Wagner as a shell shocked fighter pilot while the camera focuses on him.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

anonymous wrote:Looks like Amy Ryan is this year's critics' darling.

As is Tamara Jenkins.
I posted earlier, that there were, as far as I am concerned, only two actresses that stood out this year: Christie and Cotillard, both very individual and memorable performances. I have seen nobody refer to Cotillard's singing-- if indeed she did it-- if she did, that makes me regard her performance more highly.

Probably I should add Laura Linney in Savages here. I would like to see her win at last. As far as Jolie is concerned, she is not in the same class as the other three. So I guess it's these three and Canadian Ellen Page(whom everyone seems to like).
Hopefully, the fifth spot will go to someone else besides Jolie.

And BTW: it's "seamless", not "seemless". Marks off for spelling , gentlemen.

Edited By cam on 1197428816
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I didn't see a disconnect in Cotillard's performance, either; I quite liked it, but it is a very Susan Hayward-esque performance--way, way over the top, in your face, acting to the bleachers, with tics and mannerisms galore; most times, this doesn't work--see Charlize Theron in Monster--but sometimes, it does, and I thought it worked here--I found Cotillard to be hypnotic.

It's interesting because Cotillard and Christie's performances are literally poles apart from each other: the former, as I say, taken to the outsized extreme, the latter a subtle, delicate, yet incisive portrayal; it's not impossible to admire both of them.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:I didn't see a disconnect in the performance at all. I thought Cotillard's performance was rather seemless. Perhaps it was the filmmaker's over-tendency towards bouncing around in history that made it feel like it was segmented, but I felt a direct connection between younger and elder Piaf that was amazing considering how disjointed and confusing the film sometimes felt.
I agree Wes. Cotillard´s performance is intense and connects impressively the different stages of her life.
kubrickalien
Graduate

Post by kubrickalien »

I agree with you OscarGuy...I thought her performance was seamless as well, especially considering the seemingly random structure of the film (which I personally liked, but I know it bugged a lot of people)...I found that Cotillard also did something rather remarkable in that she's playing such an over-the-top character who is so well-known and managed to make her seem like a living, flesh and blood person. I thought her performance was truly extraordinary...but I know some people on here disagree.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

kubrickalien wrote:and you're basing Julie Christie and Amy Ryan as the most critically acclaimed on what exactly?
Right now I'm going on the number of awards that these actresses have so far won. Cotillard has so far only won honors from Boston and LA.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I didn't see a disconnect in the performance at all. I thought Cotillard's performance was rather seemless. Perhaps it was the filmmaker's over-tendency towards bouncing around in history that made it feel like it was segmented, but I felt a direct connection between younger and elder Piaf that was amazing considering how disjointed and confusing the film sometimes felt.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

First of all, Damien, I completely agree with everything you say re: Cotillard. While she has her (very tic-heavy) moments, the through line in her performance is completely lacking. (It says a lot about this year's slate of actresses that I'm not begrudging her the nomination.) And her makeup is indeed fantastic -- I hope this makeup team doesn't go the way of Monster's unjustly snubbed makeup artists, with the actress nabbing all the credit.

Kubrickalien, you are new to the board, so let me welcome you and also add that often around here, people take points of view that are contrary to "generally" (or "critically") accepted wisdom. As shocking as it may seem, it's really not that extraordinary for someone (especially Damien) to dislike a performance that critics (and Cate Blanchett and Ryan Gosling) love.

Is Cotillard's THE most raved-about performance of the year? Maybe, maybe not -- I find those things a little hard to guage. She did receive rave reviews, as did Christie, Ryan, Javier Bardem, etc. I'd argue that -- and this is just from memory, I'm not staring at the reviews -- Cotillard had a small (but notable) number of detractors. I can't really recall as many critics faulting the work of some of the year's other notable turns.
kubrickalien
Graduate

Post by kubrickalien »

and you're basing Julie Christie and Amy Ryan as the most critically acclaimed on what exactly? By most critically acclaimed I am referring to what film critics have said about Cotillard's performance...that is not in any way undermining the fine work of Christie and Ryan, but you are certainly mistaken to make the claim that Cotillard's is not the most raved-about performance of the year. I completely disagree that her performance was all about the makeup...although it certainly helped to be sure. But I think it comes down to one's own personal opinion and taste. I loved her performance...you didn't. However, my original post was referring to your comment about Cotillard being uninteresting and unaccomplished...which seems rather remarkable considering the numerous accolades and awards this "Frenchy" has received in her own country.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

kubrickalien wrote:just out of curiosity Damien....have you actually seen La Vie en Rose? "Marion Cotillard is not interesting or accomplished?" with the most critically-acclaimed performance of the year,and even Cate Blanchett and Ryan Gosling coming out to praise her performance, that seems like an extraordinary comment. Please elaborate...I'd love to hear more about how this performance (certainly one of the most amazing and intense that I've ever seen) is un-interesting and un-accomplished?

It's supposed to mean something that "even" Cate Blanchett praised her work. Who cares what an actress who has chosen to work with Joel Schumacher and Ron Howard thinks?
Yes I've seen La Vie en Rose, and by the way Frenchy's is not "the most critically-acclaimed performance of the year" -- that would be Julie Christie or Amy Ryan.

Frenchy is intense and doing all sorts of sctor-y things in every scene, but she is unable to connect the character from scene to scene. In almost each vignette in the movie (a bland, un-illuminating bio-pic) Edith Piaf seems like a completely different person. As I've said before, the performance is all in the (quite extraordinary) make-up. And once again, Susan Hayward was doing this sort of thing much better 50 years ago.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
kubrickalien
Graduate

Post by kubrickalien »

just out of curiosity Damien....have you actually seen La Vie en Rose? "Marion Cotillard is not interesting or accomplished?" with the most critically-acclaimed performance of the year,and even Cate Blanchett and Ryan Gosling coming out to praise her performance, that seems like an extraordinary comment. Please elaborate...I'd love to hear more about how this performance (certainly one of the most amazing and intense that I've ever seen) is un-interesting and un-accomplished?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Looks like Amy Ryan is this year's critics' darling.

And, surprisingly, George Clooney is doing very well. As one of the few major contenders already released that I have not yet seen, I can't say if this is a worthy trend or not. I doubt he'd win over Daniel Day-Lewis but right now he might be in second or third place for the win.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021

Return to “The 8th Decade”