1/2 *
No votes
3%

Total votes: 37

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Hustler wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Actually I liked the second part more - less mechanical, more soulful, and without that inexpressive girl.

C´mon Italiano! Are you taking about Saoirse Ronan?
Yes. I found hers a totally forgettable, unimpressive performance.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I´m giving it ***1/2
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:Actually I liked the second part more - less mechanical, more soulful, and without that inexpressive girl.
C´mon Italiano! Are you taking about Saoirse Ronan?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Oh, great!. It happens to me that besides loving the film I found so many exquisite details in it (of course, this is Joe Wright´s cause). The way it was filmed, the pathetic references of the war, the idea of crucification (I mean, the love scene). The different points of view so well described.I had a profound experience watching that film.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

You're not alone, Hustler; I love the movie, as well.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Finally, I´ve seen Atonement today. Remember, I live in the southest country of America. Surprisingly I found that film exquisite, beautifully acted. Saoirse Ronan is full of magic. And Vanessa Redgrave, what a performance! She is remarkable! It´s worth every nomination the movie has. I hope not to be alone in this. Anyway, it doesn´t matter. I shared the premiere with lots of argentinean critics and everyone here loved this film.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Actually I liked the second part more - less mechanical, more soulful, and without that inexpressive girl.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The directorial flourishes of the first act are perfectly suited. In the second? Not even effectively flourishing. An interesting failure, but half a great movie doesn't make for masterpiece.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Somewhere between *1/2 and **. I was very disappointed.

As with Pride and Prejudice, Wright's more interested in directorial effects for their own sake rather than for the sake of the story.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws1982 wrote:And come on, hairstylists, you don't have to give Ronan, Garai, and Redgrave the exact same hairstyles in order for us to realize that they're playing the same person.

I actually thought that was rather consistent with the character of Briony and a smart decision by the hairstylists. Emotionally arrested in her youth by the horrible thing she'd done, it wasn't a stretch to think that she would de-sexualize herself as a penance, retaining the page-boy hairdo even into old age.

Edited By flipp525 on 1201241829
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

About equal to Juno, although Juno is more consistent, while Atonement veers from great to mediocre, sometimes in the same scene. And come on, hairstylists, you don't have to give Ronan, Garai, and Redgrave the exact same hairstyles in order for us to realize that they're playing the same person.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

A very solid ** 1/2 and the least impressive of the Best Picture nominees. Which actually says a lot about how great this year's lineup is.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Vote on Atonement
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I just looked online and saw that 'Atonement' is 2 hours and 3 minutes...WHAT THE FUCK?!? How is that a smart idea? it feels like two and a half easily. They killed it. I thought I watched a two and a half one, not a two hour mangled work of pseudo-trailer-y.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sabin wrote:her mouth is that of an angler fish found deep in the ocean and when she told mcavoy she loved him, all i thought was LOOK OUT! SHE'S GONNA BITE!

here, he shoots himself in the foot by being too damn brilliant in the first act, shooting his load early on and just smearing it on the belly for another couple hours.

LMAO!! Best review that I've read yet of this mediocre film!

Edited By Akash on 1201028030

Return to “2000 - 2007”