I'm back

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

My deepest condolences, Magilla; your mother sounds like she had an indomitable spirit, and she will always be with you.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

To my dear friend Magilla, I'm VERY glad that you're back and you managed to take your mother's death well in your stride. I sincerely hope that everything will turn out well eventually for you and your family. May your mom rest in peace. Take good care of your father k.

Best wishes from the bottom of my heart,
Van

P.S. My mom has diabetes too. I just hope she gets to live to a ripe old age just like your mom. Fingers crossed!
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

My deep condolences, Peter. I hope that a lifetime of happy memories will help you through this most difficult time.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I am so sorry for your loss. I offer my great condolences as well, and wish the best for you and your family during your time of grief.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm so sorry to read this. My sincerest condolences to you, your father and the rest of your family. And I'm sure this international circle of friends will be of some solace for you.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I’m back.

I was away due to the death of my mother on March 21st at the age of 86. Born the same day as Maureen O’Hara, Mom suffered a stroke in 1986 and pretty much played Dame May Whitty’s role in Night Must Fall for the last twenty one years. That she survived as long as she did with congestive heart failure, diabetes and pneumonia among other ailments was a tribute to her remarkable inner strength. Two days before she died she told one of my sisters “I don’t know why everyone things I’m so sick, I feel fine.”

She died a peaceful death and had a lovely funeral (as lovely as those things can be) and is buried at the top of a hill under the shade of a tree overlooking a little town in upstate New York. Concern now shifts to my father, born the same day as Dirk Bogarde, who turned 86 last week. Unlike Mom, he was active well into his eighties, working with two guys, one five years younger than himself, the other ten years younger, with whom he installed bathroom fixtures and boilers for “little old ladies older than me.” Now he sits in the darkened house watching the Hallmark Channel. Ironic, since even when he visited Mom in the hospital he would control the remote and not let her watch morbid tearjerkers. Must be a little survivor’s guilt going on.

Return to “General Off-Topic”