Colts Win

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I have no idea who the Colts are. Is any else Here interested in Football (soccer to you Yanks) or is it only me?

The heavenly Glasgow Celtic winning the SPL yet again. Can't beat it. 19 points clear of Rangers, who hopfully will succumb to ether Aberdeen or Hearts for second place, though I doubt it with Walter Smith back in charge.. I still can't believe that he gave up the Scotland job for Rangers. McLeish is a former Blue-nose like Smith so maybe things will turn out OK when we play Italy.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Penelope wrote:
mashari wrote:Just in case any of you haven't noticed, it's a cold day in hell here in Chicago.

I've noticed. I'm already over it. :(

I miss my Florida sun. :cool:
And we were supposed to have the parade here today! :angry:
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

mashari wrote:Just in case any of you haven't noticed, it's a cold day in hell here in Chicago.

I've noticed. I'm already over it. :(

I miss my Florida sun. :cool:
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Just in case any of you haven't noticed, it's a cold day in hell here in Chicago.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Colts coach is Tony Dungy, who was coach for the Tampa Bay Bucs for many years in the 90s (the year after he was fired, replacement John Gruden led the Bucs to the Super Bowl). Dungy's son committed suicide last year in Tampa.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Thanks Damien, you're the straightest guy here, lol :D

And yeah as I mentioned a while back during my Hudson thanking God tirade, the Christian agitprop that occurs during football is a big turn off. This idiot you mention proved my point. Both sides are Christian? So um, how did God decide who wins? Hedging your bets again I see, eh Lord?

(Just so I don't incur anyone's wrath, this is all meant as a joke and not a rant against sensible people of faith)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Super Bowl is the straight Oscars.

My beloved had it on in the other room so I was aware of what was happening. I didn't really care but I was hoping the Bears would win because Illinois is a blue state, Indiana red.

And Colts' coach Tony Dungy has appeared at fund-raisers for right-wing "family" organizations fighting the scourge of same-sex love. In fact, when asked after the game about the historical implications of being the first black head coach to win the Super Bowl and that his opposing coach was also black, he said that the really important thing was that you had two "Christian" coaches. And I lost track of how many times he mentioned the Lord.

Akash, baseball seems to be the sport of choice for people on this board, and during the playoffs and the Series there are many related posts. Anyone who knows me can tell you that I bleed Giant orange and black. :)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I love that there isn't a single thread here about the Superbowl and - I just realized - not even a Sports Topic. I could have sworn there was though. Was it removed? I also wasn't sure if I should put this under TV or Miscellaneous. Oscar Guy? Your rules?

Anyway, nothing new to add just wanted to say um...Colts won. Anyone care? I'm not a huge football fan (soccer or football to the rest of the world - is far better and makes more sense since they actually touch the ball with their FEET) but I was definitely rooting for the Patriots and lost most of my interest when they were taken out.

Still this time of the year is the most fun on campus. I can get together with one group of friends to watch the Superbowl, get drunk and have a good time and then weeks later get together with another group of friends to watch the Oscars, get drunk and have a good time.

They really need to stop calling it the "wet and wild" Superbowl though. Do none of these announcers realize how dirty that sounds? lol.

Return to “General Off-Topic”