List of submissions to the 96th Academy Awards for Best International Film

For the films of 2023
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: List of submissions to the 96th Academy Awards for Best International Film

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:29 amAdditionally, I am fairly certain Ran, Three Colors: Red and City of God would have made an expanded Best Picture lineup.
Surely many more than the ones you have listed would have made the cut.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

For those of you who are wondering, since the inception of the Best International Feature category, only two non-English language and non-American films have gotten Best Picture nominations without a nomination for International Feature: Cries & Whispers and Il Postino.

Additionally, I am fairly certain Ran, Three Colors: Red and City of God would have made an expanded Best Picture lineup.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's English, French, and German.

Either way, I'm sure Neon can push this to their advantage. They may be a new company but their track record is generally on par with A24 at this point. Since 2017, they've only had Parasite and Triangle of Sadness as Best Picture nominees. Six years into A24's run, they had Room, Moonlight, and Lady Bird. Like A24, they also have a fair share of movies that I'm surprised they couldn't parlay into a Best Picture nominee. I, Tonya is their big miss. Moments after the announcement, Neon was on it with a post reminding people that Anatomy of a Fall is still eligible for Best Picture, Director, Actress, and Original Screenplay. At this point, I'd probably predict nominations for all.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Isn't it predominantly in English? The trailer sure made it seem like it was. Might have something to do with it...as in it might not have been eligible. If it was, then it's a bone-headed move that the French film selectors have shown a great penchant towards.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

France has submitted The Taste of Things over Anatomy of a Fall.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Zone of Interest is the official International Feature submission of the UK.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Marry My Dead Body, Taiwan (Cheng Wei-Hao) 6.5/10 - A homophobic police officer picks up a red envelope then finds himself in a ghost marriage with another man. And now they must solve a crime together. This is Taiwan's entry to the Best International Feature category. I have to say: It's a whole lot of movie. It's an action movie. It's a crime thriller. It's a buddy comedy. It's got fantasy and horror elements, as well as queer elements. It's overlong with so much going on. But it is mostly very entertaining. Though it tries to transcend the silliness with the last tearjerking fifteen minutes, that section of the film it feels out of place. This is a result of a film that tries to do way too much. It's currently on Netflix and it's an entertaining film nevertheless if you're looking for that.

Can it get in? Highly unlikely. An action-comedy-fantasy aren't popular in the Academy unless they're too excellent to ignore which this isn't.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Hamaguchi's film doesn't release in Japan within the eligibility window so was not eligible here, but should be next year. (Although from what I've read, I question whether they'll submit it then.)
anonymous1980
Laureate

List of submissions to the 96th Academy Awards for Best International Film

Post by anonymous1980 »

The official submission announcements are trickling in. The most surprising so far is Japan picking non-Japanese Wim Wenders' Perfect Days over Miyazaki's The Boy and the Heron, Koreeda's Monster and Hamaguchi's Evil Does Not Exist. Chile is also forgoing Pablo Larrain's El Conde for The Settlers.

Here's where you can monitor the films being submitted as they're announced.

Oh and I'll also review the submitted films in this thread as per tradition. There's at least one available on Netflix and another one will get a theatrical run here so expect the reviews to come soon.

Return to “96th Academy Awards”