LAFCA Winners

For the films of 2021
Okri
Tenured

Re: LAFCA Winners

Post by Okri »

I'm hearing a tonne of good things about "Prayer for the Stolen." It's a foreign film that feels like a solid bet for the finalist list at AMPAS
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Have they been voting on Best Film for forty-five minutes?
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The New Generation winners could be completely fictitious, as far as I'm concerned. Never heard of either.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

An ongoing uncanny stat: since Vera Farmiga's lead actress win in 2005, the bumped-from supporting Patricia Arquette in 2014 and beyond-obscure Mary Kay Place in 2019 are the only American-born actresses to win solo in LA. (Jennifer Lawrence's 2012 win was a tie with Emmanuelle Riva.) A full 8 of the winners (including ties Riva and Adele Exarchopoulos) are foreign-language performances.

American lead actors who've won LA in that period: Forest Whitaker, Sean Penn, Jeff Bridges, Joaquin Phoenix, Bruce Dern, Adam Driver, Timothee Chalamet, Ethan Hawke, Chadwick Boseman -- with only one (Banderas) foreign-language entry.

You could have made a case for this back at the time of Farmiga's win, when weak actress fields were routine. But, of late, actress slates have often been stronger than their male counterparts -- yet LA routinely chooses mainstream American actor winners, and sticks to overseas or obscure for women. It seems a bit condescending to a generation of American actresses.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The showing that most surprised me was Licorice Pizza as runner up for Best Editing. Of all the places that film would show up, I wouldn't expect Editing. It's such a shaggy dog affair. Maybe that's indication of enthusiasm to come. I know a couple of LAFCA critics (Cristy Lemire, Alonso Duradle) have it as their no. 1.

(seconds after writing this, Licorice Pizza comes in runner up for Best Screenplay, so maybe not)
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Mister Tee wrote:The Production Design choice proves there's a Cameron Diaz/look-how-edgy-not-really-we-are caucus in LA as well as NY.
Come on, Tee: we all know the garish/tacky design style (watch the trailer for this film to get a sense) has long been underrepresented in these types of awards. The devotees of this style must be thrilled.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Production Design choice proves there's a Cameron Diaz/look-how-edgy-not-really-we-are caucus in LA as well as NY.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

LAFCA Winners

Post by Mister Tee »

Updated as they're voted.

Film: Drive My Car
[The Power of the Dog]
International Film: Petite Maman
[Quo Vadis, Aida?]
Director: Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog)
[Ryusuke Hamaguchi (Drive My Car]
Actress: Penelope Cruz (Parallel Mothers)
[Renate Reinsve The Worst Person in the World)]
Actor: Simon Rex (Red Rocket)
[Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of the Dog)]
Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)
[Aunjanue Ellis (King Richard)]
Supporting Actor (tie): Vincent Lindon (Titane)/Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Power of the Dog)
Screenplay: Ryusuke Hamaguchi and Takamasa Oe (Drive My Car)
[Paul Thomas Anderson (Licorice Pizza)]
Cinematography: Ari Wegner (The Power of the Dog)
[Greig Fraser (Dune)]
Production Design, Winner: Steve Saklad (Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar)
[Tamara Deverell (Nightmare Alley)]
Editing: Joshua L. Pearson (Summer of Soul)
[Andy Jurgensen (Licorice Pizza)]
Music/Score: Alberto Iglesias (Parallel Mothers)
[Jonny Greenwood (The Power of the Dog/Spencer)]
Documentary/Non-Fiction: Summer of Soul
[Procession]
Animation: Flee
[Belle]
New Generation (tie): Shatara Michelle Ford (Test Pattern)/Tatiana Huezo (Prayers for the Stolen)
Last edited by Mister Tee on Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Return to “94th Academy Awards”