New Developments III

Greg
Tenured

Re: New Developments III

Post by Greg »

Okay, the Daily Currant site on Todd Akin is a satire; but, it is still quite funny.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Todd Akin now claims gay men can be cured by drinking breastmilk. He also said, "lesbians can be cured by drinking something else. I'll leave that one to your imagination."

http://dailycurrant.com/2012/08/26/todd ... sexuality/
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

There's nothing to worry about.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Strange...our news cycle basically dropped the ball now...it's barely even a blip on CNN's website.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

re: the news cycle (Akin etc)

It's like someone took all of Italiano's rants about Americans and decided they were too mild.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Facebook stock is now trading for half its initial asking price when it went public a few months ago.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

According to the Census Bureau, today the U.S. reached the "Life Of Pi." That is, at 2:29 PM EDT the Bureau estimated the nation's population was 314,159,265, or 100 million times the value of pi.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I just thought of something ironic regarding the effort of the mayor of Boston to stop Chick-Fil-A from opening there because of Chick-Fil-A's president's opposition to gay marriage. People such as the mayor are actually less of an economic threat to Chick-Fil-A than Tea Party politicians. They would stop Chick-Fil-A from opening in some places, often in places where they would only do limited business anyway; but, not stop them from opening nationwide. Also, their action would increase Chick-Fil-A sales in some places through "appreciation days." Tea Partiers, with their obsession with slashing the federal budget deficit, would crash the U.S. economy even more than it is. This would lead to people eating out much less, even at fast-food places, and devastate Chick-Fil-A's sales nationwide. I do think Chick-Fil-A should be allowed to open where it chooses; but, this is a great irony.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

For those of you who are interested, Dr. Jill Stein's acceptance speech upon receiving the Green Party nomination for President is at her YouTube site. It is broken into 6 sections.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JillStein2012
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

If anyone is a fan of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Mark Webber's, who played Stephen Stills, mother will be the Green Party nominee for Vice President.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sonic Youth wrote:
criddic3 wrote:We've had this discussion before. I listen to what many people say and, sometimes I will repeat what I've heard if I agree. I'm sure you have done this, and if you haven't then you are altogether different from most human beings. I happen to agree with the idea that some have expressed, that rationing will eventually occur. Perhaps I should have put that line about the old people in quotations. Next you will tell me that you don't think Obamacare is a tax. Maybe you'll put that in quotes, too. I continue to be amazed by people who think that the only original ideas/thoughts are their own. [just in case that statement confuses you, I mean that you think only those who agree with you have brains] :)
Getting fiesty, are we?

No, criddic, I don't try to take things other people have said word-for-word and pass them off as statements that sprung from my own mind. That's dishonorable and it's evidence of a lack of independent thought. But at least you admit you've done that.

I don't know where you got the statement "There will be old people told to take a pill instead of get treatment". (LOL! As if that's not happening now under the pre-Obamacare system.) But I remember what the basis of that remark was. During the '08 campaign 4 years ago Obama was asked question about health care, specifically regarding if certain expensive health care procedures are appropriate if the patient is in their 90s or 100s. Obama said - perhaps foolishly - that in such circumstances it may be better to forgo such treatment and tell them to "take a pill". Of course it wasn't the only thing he said in his response, but that was the soundbyte that bloggers and the opposing candidate(s) latched on to and were outraged by, and it was news for about 36 hours or so.

If "There will be old people told to take a pill instead of get treatment" is currently the meme that's going on among anti-Obamaites, then the foundation of this insight came from his gaffe from four years ago. It's not a conclusion based on any in-depth analysis. It's just a rhetorical ploy to take Obama's words from 2008 and use them against him in 2012. There is not a chance in earth, heaven or hell it's a coincidence that people - espcially you - happened to invent a phrase Obama himself used four years ago without knowing it. And since YOU, Criddic, had no idea Obama said the same thing four years ago (at least, there's zero indication in either your initial post or in your response to me that you knew about it), then what you were doing was copying someone else's phrase word-for-word. Which means you haven't given any serious thought on the matter, and are instead relying on other people's statements to pass as your own.
I knew that subconsciously I had heard that phrase somewhere, which is why I defended repeating others' statements (not really verbatim, but probably close) to bolster my argument. I understand fully your reasons for wanting to believe that I "haven't given any serious thought" to anything I ever say. That's okay with me, because you have no way of knowing otherwise. All you know is what you see here, and you like to think that I am a simpleton because that way you don't feel like you have to engage me in any way other than dismissively. I followed the 2008 election very closely, so I very well remember hearing the phrase before. And the fact that you assume this all came from "anti-Obamaites," presumably from a conservative article or such, shows that you really don't know whether I think for myself or not. You are fishing for ways to marginalize my opinions, to say "yeah, he doesn't use his brain, because I have all the answers and there can't possibly be an alternate reality." There are many problems with Obamacare. One of them is that rationing has occurred with similar programs in other countries. My only regret in my original post is that I didn't put quotations around that sentence. Yet that distracts from what my post was saying, which is that a lot of lies and half-truths were told in order to get Obamacare passed. It may have a few good items in it, but it never sounded right to me. The idea is noble: Everyone should have access to health care. "Access," but this isn't merely giving access to better choices. And now the Supreme Court has ruled that Obamacare is only constitutional as a tax, which the president still insists is not the case. I thought it might have been better to fix the current system rather than overhaul it so much, which only served to give the government more power.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:We've had this discussion before. I listen to what many people say and, sometimes I will repeat what I've heard if I agree. I'm sure you have done this, and if you haven't then you are altogether different from most human beings. I happen to agree with the idea that some have expressed, that rationing will eventually occur. Perhaps I should have put that line about the old people in quotations. Next you will tell me that you don't think Obamacare is a tax. Maybe you'll put that in quotes, too. I continue to be amazed by people who think that the only original ideas/thoughts are their own. [just in case that statement confuses you, I mean that you think only those who agree with you have brains] :)
Getting fiesty, are we?

No, criddic, I don't try to take things other people have said word-for-word and pass them off as statements that sprung from my own mind. That's dishonorable and it's evidence of a lack of independent thought. But at least you admit you've done that.

I don't know where you got the statement "There will be old people told to take a pill instead of get treatment". (LOL! As if that's not happening now under the pre-Obamacare system.) But I remember what the basis of that remark was. During the '08 campaign 4 years ago Obama was asked question about health care, specifically regarding if certain expensive health care procedures are appropriate if the patient is in their 90s or 100s. Obama said - perhaps foolishly - that in such circumstances it may be better to forgo such treatment and tell them to "take a pill". Of course it wasn't the only thing he said in his response, but that was the soundbyte that bloggers and the opposing candidate(s) latched on to and were outraged by, and it was news for about 36 hours or so.

If "There will be old people told to take a pill instead of get treatment" is currently the meme that's going on among anti-Obamaites, then the foundation of this insight came from his gaffe from four years ago. It's not a conclusion based on any in-depth analysis. It's just a rhetorical ploy to take Obama's words from 2008 and use them against him in 2012. There is not a chance in earth, heaven or hell it's a coincidence that people - espcially you - happened to invent a phrase Obama himself used four years ago without knowing it. And since YOU, Criddic, had no idea Obama said the same thing four years ago (at least, there's zero indication in either your initial post or in your response to me that you knew about it), then what you were doing was copying someone else's phrase word-for-word. Which means you haven't given any serious thought on the matter, and are instead relying on other people's statements to pass as your own.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So what's this pill going to be called, Soylent Green?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

We've had this discussion before. I listen to what many people say and, sometimes I will repeat what I've heard if I agree. I'm sure you have done this, and if you haven't then you are altogether different from most human beings. I happen to agree with the idea that some have expressed, that rationing will eventually occur. Perhaps I should have put that line about the old people in quotations. Next you will tell me that you don't think Obamacare is a tax. Maybe you'll put that in quotes, too. I continue to be amazed by people who think that the only original ideas/thoughts are their own. [just in case that statement confuses you, I mean that you think only those who agree with you have brains] :)
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

See what you get when you ask for something, Taki?
criddic3 wrote:There will be old people told to take a pill instead of get treatment.
This alone is the final, definitive proof that you rely on other people for your "original" insights.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Current Events”