Screen Actors Guild Nominations

1998 through 2007
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't know what the complete shutout of Atonement and Sweeney Todd means in terms of Oscar hopes.

I think only one of them will get in. But not both. I think Depp will still score an Oscar nom (at the expense of either Hirsch or Gosling since I don't think they'd be willing to nominate two twenty-somethings). Mortensen looks like he's good to go for a nomination.

American Gangster is still iffy. It got in Ensemble and Supporting Actress but didn't get a nom for Denzel. That's confusing.

Juno not scoring in Ensemble is troubling for it's Best Picture chances.

What IS the deal with Ruby Dee's role? I've been told it's minuscule. If nominated, she'd probably be in the Top 10 shortest Oscar-nominated performances ever.

Saoirse Ronan is in trouble for an Oscar nom. The SAG's are known to be quite generous to child actors. If she couldn't get in here, I don't think a nomination for her is happening at all.

Edited By anonymous on 1198161722
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Sweney Todd snub I saw coming.

Atonement, however, I just never expected that one...When they announced best actor, something screamed at me that there was something wrong. Same with lead actress, but I couldn't put my finger on it (and it wasn't the choice of nominees, you who would make such a comment). It was the missing Atonement and Sweeney Todd stars, but I really think this puts Depp's nomination in doubt (an award I said several days ago he needed to stay in the race).

And look at the wonderful Ruby Dee go. I can see her winning and, perhaps this, Magilla, is the late-race entry that could prove to be the spoiler we were talking about.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Poor Little Inez from Hairspray; first she has to fight to get on The Corny Collins Show and now SAG excludes her from the Cast nomination. And Jerry Stiller played Mr Pinky, not "Mr French" as they have him listed (who proofreads these nomination lists?).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Penelope wrote:
Ensemble:
3:10 to Yuma
American Gangster
Hairspray

Really? Instead of Atonement? Away From Her? Assassination of Jesse James...? That's just...sad.
I never take the ensemble nods seriously. Sometimes they vote for the what they consider the best film, other times they vote for the film with what they consdier the best cast.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ensemble:
American Gangster
Hairspray

Really? Instead of Atonement? Away From Her? Assassination of Jesse James...? That's just...sad.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm happy with the really strong showing for Into the Wild - actor, supp. actor, supp. actress, ensemble. No Country did even better than expected with two supp. actor nods. Blanchett's two nods puzzle me. I don't know what the complete shutout of Atonement and Sweeney Todd means in terms of Oscar hopes.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

No Country...
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Or Sweeney Todd for that matter.

Which movie was Tommy Lee Jones nominated for, No Country or In the Valley?
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Atonement and Sweeney Todd both got completely shut out.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

How bad does this factor for Atonement; not even an ensemble nomination? Or Sweeney Todd, for that matter?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ensemble:
American Gangster
Hairspray
Into the Wild
No Country for Old Men

Actor:
George Clooney
Daniel Day-Lewis
Ryan Gosling
Emile Hirsch
Viggo Mortensen

Actress:
Cate Blanchett
Julie Christie
Marion Cotillard
Angelina Jolie
Ellen Page

Supporting Actor:
Casey Affleck
Javier Bardem
Hal Holbrook
Tommy Lee Jones
Tom Wilkinson

Supporting Actress:
Cate Blanchett
Ruby Dee
Catherine Keener
Amy Ryan
Tilda Swinton
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Stunt Ensemble

The Bourne Ultimatum
I Am Legend
The Kingdom
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

correction to the time posted on my site.

Apparently, the announcement will be at 9E/6P...I hate that. I have to be at work at 8:30P. I hope it's quick so I can get there on time.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's where I'll put them.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”