NBR Winners

1998 through 2007
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:Bourne making the list may be baffling to all the He-Man-Greengrass-Haters-Club members here,

LMAO, and love from Alfalfa, Spanky, Buckwheat and Porky! Of course, Alfalfa dressed up in drag and went to see Bourne 3 on opening day.

Edited By Damien on 1196900270
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not sure everyone at NBR saw There Will Be Blood, so I don't know that it's a definitive snub yet.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:Yes, but it's clear that the movie which suffered most from these awards is Atonement, which seemed to be truly perfect for the NBR. If even this usually traditional, conservative group went for the supposedly edgy No Country for Old Men, then the Academy could, too.
Not necessarily. In 1996 they went for Shine instead of The English Patient, which came in second. It does bode well for No Country, though, this year's Fargo which placed thrid on the 1996 list. However, the snubbing of Atonement by the Satellites and There Will Be Blood by both the Satellites and the NBR does seem to signal trouble ahead for both those films. Could be the pre-cursors as well as the Academy are sick and tired of the bloggers telling them what to vote for and will go in a diffferent direction just because they can.

The thing about the Academy, though, is that they like to make amends in their way for previous snubs. Hellbent music lovers, still hurting over the snub of Dreamgirls last year, could go all out for Sweeney Todd this year. It's a wide open race and that's a good thing.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Not really, no.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:Which means at least there will be one piece of eye candy on the male side again this year.
What? James McAvoy doesn't do it for you?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

ITALIANO wrote:Yes, but it's clear that the movie which suffered most from these awards is Atonement, which seemed to be truly perfect for the NBR. If even this usually traditional, conservative group went for the supposedly edgy No Country for Old Men, then the Academy could, too.
I agree Marco and I couldn't be happier for the Coens and No Country.

Also, George Clooney will be nominated at the Oscars. I knew it after seeing his ludicrous film. He doesn't deserve to be, but he's not bad in the film and if white liberal guilt could secure a nomination for Leo DiCaprio in the god-awful Blood Diamond, then it can surely secure one for Clooney in the slightly better Michael Clayton. Which means at least there will be one piece of eye candy on the male side again this year.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Original BJ wrote:Casey Affleck's run for a Best Actress bid took a hit today. It doesn't take a genius to see that the lead Actress category isn't overflowing with contenders -- Affleck could easily place. Plus, he's not really all that masculine anyway. If only WB didn't insist on this ridiculous ACTOR placement, we might be talking about a genuine contender; this category confusion could certainly backfire and allow someone like Bianca from Lars and the Real Girl to nab that fifth Best Actress spot (or is she being pushed for supporting too?!)
Absolutely classic, BJ! Actually, now that you mention Bianca, might she win the award that Wilson the volleyball won a few years back from, what was it, the LA film critics?

And, of course, while I'm pleased that Affleck wins his first award for what is, to me, the performance of the year, I wish it had been in the right category. Clooney is the only one of the four acting winners that aren't on my list of best of the year, though he did give a fine performance.

If anything took a hit today, I'd say it was There Will Be Blood/Daniel Day Lewis--what has been talked about as a sure thing win now doesn't quite so much.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is the official list. The NBR website has finally been updated. So, we have the Top 11 Pictures, Top 6 Foreign Films, Top 6 Documentaries and Top 10 Independents...their numbering system doesn't make sense and by their choice of wording, it sounds like they don't think the ones chosen best are in the Tops of their fields...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I'm surpirsed an obvious admiration for gone baby gone didn't translate into a top ten spot.

The trailers for bucket list have looked so dumb but i guess its at least worth a look now.

I've seen all 4 of the winning performances and all 4 are still in my top five(casey in my lead though) so i liked them all very much.

I haven't seen 4 of the 11(kite, bucket, atonement and juno) but the other 7 i can't complain about and no country is my number 1 so far.

Big surprises that sicko didn't get at least a spot in the top 6 docs and no mention of there will be blood.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I don't recall any of us mentioning George Clooney in the NBR predictions. And there has been, so far, little mention of his winning by anyone.
His political stance and his charitable works could have worked in his favour, although I thought his Oscar "covered" that with Syriana.
He was much better in Clayton than in the sometimes confusing Syriana, I thought. I suspect, and hope for, an Oscar nomination, along with Tilda Swinton and Tom Wilkinson. He is one of the true Stars of today, if there still is such a thing.

Edited By cam on 1196893992
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Assuming the lists are correct, it looks like somebody goofed. They seem to be counting ten, five and five in addition to the wins in each of those categories. I wonder if they're going to fix the lists and drop one each or leave it as is to save face for the last placement in each category.

That sounds less like a "goof" than an opportunity to get the NBR brand-name on ever more posters and FYC ads. As is the split between the "indie" and "regular" lists. I don't think there's any going back, not while these folks depend on the mercy of the studios for their screening opportunities.
I agree there's little likliehood of going back, but it still looks like a goof otehrwise why not re-name the categoreis Addtional Ten or Five Best. Too much wine on empty stomachs?
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Brief thoughts:

I think No Country for Old Men solidified its Best Pic nomination, if there was any doubt. It could definitely go the way of L.A. Confidential with Oscar, but anyone who still thinks this won't be a major player at every awards show is clinging to delusions.

Burton's prize surely can't be a bad sign for Sweeney Todd, but, as others have mentioned, NBR has frequently chosen directors who have barely even contended in later races, and Burton could certainly follow suit.

Am I the only person who thinks all four acting winners could snag Oscar nods? Christie moves into frontrunner position, and Ryan seems as likely as anybody (I still can't believe some people are doubting her chances.) Best Actor remains a miasma, so those who can nab a high-profile prize or two and break away from the pack are in luck: I think Clooney took a big step ahead today.

Casey Affleck's run for a Best Actress bid took a hit today. It doesn't take a genius to see that the lead Actress category isn't overflowing with contenders -- Affleck could easily place. Plus, he's not really all that masculine anyway. If only WB didn't insist on this ridiculous ACTOR placement, we might be talking about a genuine contender; this category confusion could certainly backfire and allow someone like Bianca from Lars and the Real Girl to nab that fifth Best Actress spot (or is she being pushed for supporting too?!)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla wrote:Assuming the lists are correct, it looks like somebody goofed. They seem to be counting ten, five and five in addition to the wins in each of those categories. I wonder if they're going to fix the lists and drop one each or leave it as is to save face for the last placement in each category.
That sounds less like a "goof" than an opportunity to get the NBR brand-name on ever more posters and FYC ads. As is the split between the "indie" and "regular" lists. I don't think there's any going back, not while these folks depend on the mercy of the studios for their screening opportunities.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, but it's clear that the movie which suffered most from these awards is Atonement, which seemed to be truly perfect for the NBR. If even this usually traditional, conservative group went for the supposedly edgy No Country for Old Men, then the Academy could, too.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1196890636
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

FilmFan720 wrote:Well, it looks like the love for Sweeney Todd is beginning to build.
remember, this is the same group to pick edward zwick's directing of THE LAST SAMURAI as the best of 2003.

just saying, the national board of review are the first of the major precursor's, but they do not exactly assure anything...not even a trend.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “The 8th Decade”