Oscar Predictions & Race Discussion Thread - July to Toronto

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Oscar Predictions & Race Discussion Thread - July to Toronto

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:
Reza wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I have an article I've been working on regarding ageism at the Oscars and exploring such things. Best Actor's range tends to average in the 30s and 40s whereas Best Actress is usually in the 20s and 30s. There is no PYT consideration for actors as there is for actresses.
I guess then that puts a permanent lid on that much reviled Oldman / Dench theory as (im)possible winners :D
I don't know that I understand what you're saying, but I'm referring to nominations only. On the awarding side, both actor and actress races have seen the average winner age increase over the last two decades (with a strange downward slip in the last 5).

That said, Daniel Day-Lewis was 55 when he won for There Will Be Blood. Oldman is 59 now. Colin Firth won at 50, Jeff Bridges at 60, Day-Lewis at 50, and Nicholson at 60, all within the last twenty years, which is more than enough cover to suggest they aren't above honoring Oldman. Further, I'd say Oldman is following a Bridges-like never-honored trajectory. The difference there is the several nominations Bridges had by the point he won. Oldman had none.

On the ladies' side, Julianne Moore won at 54, Meryl Streep at 62, Helen Mirren at 61. That's not a lot over 50. Streep was the only one of those "older" actresses who didn't win her first Oscar. That counts against Dench. Dench has one and I doubt the Academy is clamoring to give her another, especially against the likes of Winslet, McDormand, Close, and Stone. I'd say Close has a better chance at winning than Dench does because Close follows more closely the Bridges paradigm than Oldman does.
Oh, I could totally live with an Oscar for Close.

Close over Dench anytime.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

SPC doesn't have anything on the eternal fuck-ups that are Focus Features. How many Oscar contenders have they botched?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Quoting Mister Tee from a yonk's age ago

"We’re in a different era from when I began; where Spacey once reigned, we have Clooney. Only Streep is eternal."

I don't quite understand how easily Hanks got dropped. I took a quick glance at his post-Cast Away work and regardless of merit, it's not as if he disappeared from AMPAS' sights - The Road to Perdition, Catch Me If You Can, Charlie Wilson's War - all were oscar nominees. It's not as if his films were underperformers - the last actually outperformed Michael Clayton at the box office. Now, I don't think he actually deserved nominations for any of them, but then I don't get at all how he missed for Captain Philips. Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I think he could get dropped pretty easily. It's not as if Spielberg is a huge "actor's director" anyway.

re: Sony (Pictures) Classics

Yeah, I can't think of a studio that lost as many "gettable" nominations as this one. That they're releasing Call Me By Your Name has me a little concerned oscar wise.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think it's possible. The question is whether Hanks is explosive in The Papers. There will be plenty of opportunities for powerful monologues, I'm sure. I think what's hurt Hanks the most is that his performances lately haven't seemed "challenging" and haven't been in films that were more than perfunctory contenders.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sabin wrote:
2013 - Michael B. Jordan, Robert Redford, Tom Hanks, Joaquin Phoenix, Chadwick Boseman, Oscar Isaac, Idris Elba.
2014 - Jake Gyllenhall, Ralph Fiennes, Jack O'Connell, David Oyelowo, Joaquin Phoenix, Timothy Spall, Brad Pitt, Robert Downey Jr.
2015 - Tom Hanks, Jake Gyllenhall, Michael Caine, Tom Hiddleston, Bradley Cooper, Will Smith, Steve Carell.
2016 - Joel Edgerton, Nate Parker, Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Michael Keaton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Joe Alwyn, Andrew Garfield (albeit for a different role.)
It's amazing how willing the Academy has been to pass the chance to nominate one-time unstoppable favorite Tom Hanks in recent years. Two of these years saw him starring in Best Picture nominees, no less. What are the chances this continues if Spielberg's "The Papers" is a success?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Reza wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I have an article I've been working on regarding ageism at the Oscars and exploring such things. Best Actor's range tends to average in the 30s and 40s whereas Best Actress is usually in the 20s and 30s. There is no PYT consideration for actors as there is for actresses.
I guess then that puts a permanent lid on that much reviled Oldman / Dench theory as (im)possible winners :D
I don't know that I understand what you're saying, but I'm referring to nominations only. On the awarding side, both actor and actress races have seen the average winner age increase over the last two decades (with a strange downward slip in the last 5).

That said, Daniel Day-Lewis was 55 when he won for There Will Be Blood. Oldman is 59 now. Colin Firth won at 50, Jeff Bridges at 60, Day-Lewis at 50, and Nicholson at 60, all within the last twenty years, which is more than enough cover to suggest they aren't above honoring Oldman. Further, I'd say Oldman is following a Bridges-like never-honored trajectory. The difference there is the several nominations Bridges had by the point he won. Oldman had none.

On the ladies' side, Julianne Moore won at 54, Meryl Streep at 62, Helen Mirren at 61. That's not a lot over 50. Streep was the only one of those "older" actresses who didn't win her first Oscar. That counts against Dench. Dench has one and I doubt the Academy is clamoring to give her another, especially against the likes of Winslet, McDormand, Close, and Stone. I'd say Close has a better chance at winning than Dench does because Close follows more closely the Bridges paradigm than Oldman does.
Wesley Lovell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:

I know a film's trailer is hardly a benchmark to determine an actor's performance but Chalamet comes off awfully bland in all the scenes.
Actually the whole trailer depicts the movie as rather bland
Very true.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I know a film's trailer is hardly a benchmark to determine an actor's performance but Chalamet comes off awfully bland in all the scenes.
Actually the whole trailer depicts the movie as rather bland
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
His not. And to top it off he has a GREAT last scene. Not an Oscar clip scene because it would be such a spoiler but a great scene that really captures the heartache of first love.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:
Sabin wrote:
So, that means it's entirely possible that 'Call Me By Your Name' could end up with eight nominations (Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Film Editing, and two for Original Song).
So no chance for Lead Actor?
Long shot. His age will most likely go against him. :|
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

ThePianist wrote
2013 - Michael B. Jordan, Robert Redford, Tom Hanks, Joaquin Phoenix, Chadwick Boseman, Oscar Isaac, Idris Elba.
2014 - Jake Gyllenhall, Ralph Fiennes, Jack O'Connell, David Oyelowo, Joaquin Phoenix, Timothy Spall, Brad Pitt, Robert Downey Jr.
2015 - Tom Hanks, Jake Gyllenhall, Michael Caine, Tom Hiddleston, Bradley Cooper, Will Smith, Steve Carell.
2016 - Joel Edgerton, Nate Parker, Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Michael Keaton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Joe Alwyn, Andrew Garfield (albeit for a different role.)

Dude, did you just like, forget? Every year has it's flops. The majority of them are actually pretty major if you ask me.
...no, that's not my point. My point is if there is a total dearth of contenders that they have no choice but to nominate Chalamet. If anything, you just made my point.
ThePianist wrote
I'm totally unaware of what you mean by this. If I'm on the right track in regards to what you mean; you are totally wrong mate. He might (in a way) be an audience surrogate character, but he is far from colorless. He seems to be very emotionally complex, a coming-of-age 'revelation'-esc performance, (If you will.) You can read off his feelings of desire through his mannerisms. (Kinda like Casey Affleck subtle performance of grief in MBTS.) His performance might turn up to be one of the most critically praised of the year, by the end of it. Sure he's young, but SPC will push him hard, and along with the enormous buzz CMBYN will garner around Award Season, he might just make it in. Once again, It all depends if the older actors fall out, (which some of them probably will.... as per usual.)
Sure.
1. You're right. He could be nominated.
2. The fact that it's Sony Pictures Classics pushing the film is one of the biggest things working against it. They don't have the most stellar track record of playing with the big boys.
3. You imply that "some of the older actors will fall out, they always do". Well, yeah, because they're all older actors.
4. But sure, you're right. He could be nominated. It's early in the year, we don't know anything, his performance is well-reviewed, he's definitely in the race...just as long as we accept that fundamentally the race is designed to work against him.
"How's the despair?"
ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

Sabin wrote: The only way Timothee Chalamet gets nominated is if the rest of the year is such a fantastic flop for lead actors...which NEVER happens. There are always leading actors in the running.

Dude, did you just like, forget? Every year has it's flops. The majority of them are actually pretty major if you ask me.
Sabin wrote: Besides, from what I've read Chalamet plays an audience surrogate character viewing, purposefully watcher-like and colorless.
I'm totally unaware of what you mean by this. If I'm on the right track in regards to what you mean; you are totally wrong mate. He might (in a way) be an audience surrogate character, but he is far from colorless. He seems to be very emotionally complex, a coming-of-age 'revelation'-esc performance, (If you will.) You can read off his feelings of desire through his mannerisms. (Kinda like Casey Affleck subtle performance of grief in MBTS.) His performance might turn up to be one of the most critically praised of the year, by the end of it. Sure he's young, but SPC will push him hard, and along with the enormous buzz CMBYN will garner around Award Season, he might just make it in. Once again, It all depends if the older actors fall out, (which some of them probably will.... as per usual.)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have an article I've been working on regarding ageism at the Oscars and exploring such things. Best Actor's range tends to average in the 30s and 40s whereas Best Actress is usually in the 20s and 30s. There is no PYT consideration for actors as there is for actresses.
Wesley Lovell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

anonymous wrote
I looked it up. If Timothee Chalamet manages to get a nomination, he'd be the third youngest to get nominated behind only Jackie Cooper and Mickey Rooney (who got two nominations, one at age 19 and another one at 23). He'd also be the first male actor below 25 to get nominated in Lead in 40 years, the last one being John Travolta for Saturday Night Fever.
The only ay Timothee Chalamet gets nominated is if the rest of the year is such a fantastic flop for lead actors...which NEVER happens. There are always leading actors in the running. Besides, from what I've read Chalamet plays an audience surrogate character viewing, purposefully watcher-like and colorless.

Young actors are at a profound disadvantage when it comes to supporting roles. When it comes to leading roles, they have to witness an all-but abdication of the category by the Screen Actor's Guild of America.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”