Tony Awards... - A low-key season?

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mary-Louise Parker actually didn't get very good reviews for Hedda Gabler, and Ben Brantley was especially harsh, panning Parker, as well as the entire production, which he deemed one of the worst revivals he had ever seen.

In Best Actress in a Play, you have, in addition to Lansbury (and almost all of these come from what I've read at other message boards, so blame them, rather than me, if there's something ridiculous here) Jane Fonda (33 Variations), Tovah Feldshuh (Irena's Vow), Kristin Scott Thomas (The Seagull), Janet McTeer (Mary Stuart), Harriet Walter (Mary Stuart), Christine Ebersole (Blithe Spirit), Carla Gugino (Desire Under the Elms), Jayne Atkinson (Blithe Spirit), Marcia Gay Harden (God of Carnage--possibly featured), and Hope Davis (God of Carnage--possibly featured).

I would've included Joan Allen in the group, but Impressionism opened to very negative reviews. The consensus seems to be that it's pretentious twaddle.

Edited By dws1982 on 1237955168
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws1982 wrote:
Angela Lansbury could win her fifth Tony for best actress, her first in a non-musical, for Blithe Spirit

She may, but that category is ridiculously stacked this year. There are probably a dozen ladies who would be nominated in a normal year, and yet most will end up missing out.

Can you list some possible nominees? Mary-Louise Parker for Hedda Gabler seems like it has potential, but did it open in time to qualify?

Best Featured Actress in a Musical nomination for Martha Plimpton in Pal Joey, for sure. I thought she was fantastic.

Edited By flipp525 on 1237953995
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

This seems to have turned into an excellent season for plays but a weak one for musicals..

Over at the very catty Broadway World message boards, they seem to agree that the best musical nominees will be Billy Elliot, Next to Normal, Shrek, and 9 to 5, and the nominees for best revival of a musical will be Guys and Dolls, Hair, Pal Joey, and West Side Story.

Angela Lansbury could win her fifth Tony for best actress, her first in a non-musical, for Blithe Spirit

She may, but that category is ridiculously stacked this year. There are probably a dozen ladies who would be nominated in a normal year, and yet most will end up missing out.

I think the safest bet in the acting categories is probably Geoffrey Rush for Best Actor in a Play.

Edited By dws1982 on 1237952489
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know anything about the new straight plays this season nor am I sure how the revivals of A Man for All Seasons, Equus and Blithe Spirit have fared with the critics/Tony voters.

The Drama Desk nominations, which will be announced on April 20th, may give us some indication.

Two heartily anticipated musicals, (title of show) ad 13 flopped pretty quickly so if either is nominated it will be a token nod.

I don't know what the critical reception to Shrek has been but it's something of a hit so that should count for something. 9 to 5 opens April 30th, the last day of eligibility. The one to beat, though, has to be Billy Elliot.

Guys and Dolls, West Side Story and Hair, which officially opens March 30th, are the major revivals. Pal Joey was universally panned.

As for acting awards, the three kids who alternate the lead in Billy Elliot will likely jointly win the best actor in a musical award and Angela Lansbury could win her fifth Tony for best actress, her first in a non-musical, for Blithe Spirit. Beyond that I haven't a clue.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

After all the closing of several musicals on Boradway, including Spring Awakening, Spamalot, Hairspray and Frankesntein, this season in musical theater can be considered quite modest.

There are very few original musicals getting premiered on Boradway this season. How would this affect the Tony's? Billy Elliot is a sure thing among the Best Muscial Show line up, but what else is outhere? Shrek The Musical? the somehow jukebox Rock of Ages? or the already closed/short lived The Story of my Life? "9 to 5" seems like a good thing from early reviews but could its late opening (April 30th) work against it? (I don't know the dateline of elegibility). On top of it, there seems to be a lack of original work around, isn't it?

Has anyone heard something about "Nice Work if you can get it"?

And as for revivals, it seems like a better scenario (as last year's one). But only with the new productions of Hair, West Side Story and Guys & Dolls the category feels already empty.

What is the Tony Award going to do with this season? the two nods per category thing again?

Finally, is the already closed Equus nominable as a play? Did it got good reviews?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”