The Reader

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Here's the link but don't go there if you want to avoid spoilers:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454508,00.html

What atrociously written articles.

I did say it was Roger Friedman, didn't I?

Edited By Big Magilla on 1227156712
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

For those worried that an actress with two lead roles can't get nominated for one of them, look no farther than Nicole Kidman who picked up a nod for Moulin Rouge when she also had The Others in competition that year and, most of the critics I read, said she was better in The Others.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Here's the link but don't go there if you want to avoid spoilers:

What atrociously written articles.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This review is utter horseshit and no indication of whether or not the movie will be any good or how it will fare with the Academy.
You have to give them credit. "Rev Road" is just about as unlike "Titanic" as it could be. It’s more like "Mad Men" without anti-depressants.

Thanks.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I sincerely hope the Academy sees through this category manipulation silliness, because I honestly believe Kate has a better chance of winning with The Reader than with Revolutionary Road.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Fox's Roger Friedman has the first published review of The Reader from a Stephen Daldry hosted screening. He also reviews Revolutionary Road. He calls Winslet the new Streep, or more precisely, Streep, Jr., based on her range in these three roles, yes, I said three - two in The Reader, the same character but at two completely different phases of life. He also says a supporting nomination will be be a hard sell since she's on screen most of the time. He also calls Leo, not Kate, the revelation in Revolutionary Road, though he liked them both.

Here's the link but don't go there if you want to avoid spoilers:

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Yeah, i ll pose nude and cover my knees. :p
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

dreaMaker wrote:I would also love to pose nude, but with a fake fur.
Well now, that would make for a MySpace photo. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's not like Mickey Rourke is ever going to WIN an Oscar. He'll probably get nominated this year but Mickey Rourke will never win an Oscar. That would require him to talk to people like a gentleman without behaving like an asshole.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sonic Youth wrote:Horrifying scandal! Kate Winslet poses nude in a REAL FUR!!

omygod!! could this hurt her oscar chances forever'n'ever????
speaking of someone hurting their oscar chances.

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/11/mickey-rourke-t.html

Mickey Rourke Threatens to Break 'Faggot' Writer's Legs

Actor Mickey Rourke makes a threat to an unidentified writer as he enters Hyde nightclub in L.A. on Sunday night. When a paparazzo asks him about a rumored relationship with actress Evan Rachel Wood, Rourke responds:

"She's a good friend, that's it. And tell that faggot who wrote all that shit in the paper I'd like to break his fucking legs."

If you'll remember, in an interview in October 2006, Rourke clarified his use of the word "Fag" : "Look, I’m not afraid to say the word fag. I’m not gonna walk on glass because maybe some dude is gonna be offended if I say the word fag. I’ve got plenty of gay friends. We toss the word around. If I wanna say fag, I’m gonna fuckin’ say it. And if somebody has a problem with that, they can kiss my fuckin’ ass!"
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I would also love to pose nude, but with a fake fur.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

dreaMaker wrote:As i know Kate, she would never wear a real fur...
But, she does seem to be quite willing to pose nude. :)
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

As i know Kate, she would never wear a real fur...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Horrifying scandal! Kate Winslet poses nude in a REAL FUR!!

omygod!! could this hurt her oscar chances forever'n'ever????

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news....ot.html

Kate Winslet posed with real fox fur in Vanity Fair shoot

By Matthew Moore
The Telegraph
Last Updated: 1:34PM GMT 09 Nov 2008

The 33-year-old British actress, who has been a vocal opponent of fur, agreed to pose on the rug in the belief that it was fake.

She was only alerted after animal rights campaigners spotted tell-tale signs that the throw used in the glamourous shoot for the latest issue of the society magazine was real.

The pelts of six silver foxes would have been required to make the £11,500 throw, which was produced by Italian luxury bed linen firm Frette.

Vanity Fair has now apologised to the five-time Oscar-nominated actress, blaming "miscommunication" for the error.

"Although there were both real and fake furs on set, the fur used in the photograph is real," a spokesman said. "We thought Miss Winslet was aware of this and we're sorry for the miscommunication."

Her publicist said that the actress was unaware of the rug's origins: "She thought it was false. There was apparently false fur there and real fur there, and she definitely understood it was false.

"Kate never wears fur. She's very, very firm on that."

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), which contacted the mother-of-two to alert her to their concerns about the rug, said it was becoming harder for models to differentiate between real and fake fur.

"Peta has heard from countless celebs that stylists at photo shoots can be rather coy when it comes to fur and whether it's real or not," the group said.

"With so many convincing fakes out there nowadays, it is easy to mistake the dead animals for the fake ones".

The risqué photo series, which is a tribute to Catherine Deneuve in the 1967 film Belle de Jour, also already attracted controversy after Winslet's team were forced to deny that her body had been airbrushed.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1226342943
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Penelope wrote:I agree, barry. It seems that's all the press can talk about in relation with Kate--it's the hook; but, it's worth noting that she is very inspiring to women who aren't skeletally thin. Admittedly, I prefer the more zaftig, Titanic era Kate, who reminded me so much of Elizabeth Taylor circa Butterfield 8--sexy and curvy.
I would like to second that. I also think Rene Zellweger looked sexier in the Bridget Jones films than in Chicago.

I guess it is all a matter of taste but I do not see how a woman who looks like she has just been liberated from a concentration camp is appealing. I know clothing models usually have to be tall and thin because of the nature of their work but it is a shame that has become the standard for female beauty. Embracing a woman with curves has always been one of my favorite things (and, in case you are in the mood for a really bad pun, she need not be wearing a white dress with blue satin sashes.).
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Return to “2008”