Most Egregious Category Gerrymandering, Part 2 - Supporting Roles Pushed Up to Lead

1927/28 through 1997

Most Egregious Category Gerrymandering, Part 2 - Supporting Roles Pushed Up to Lead

Greer Garson in Goodbye, Mr. Chips
14%
Deborah Kerr in From Here to Eternity
7%
Patricia Neal in Hud
3%
Louise Fletcher in One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
17%
Talia Shire in Rocky
10%
Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society
No votes
Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs
28%
John Travolta in Pulp Fiction
3%
Kristin Scott Thomas in The English Patient
14%
Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line
3%

Total votes: 29

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ok, this time it's the reverse scenario: clearly Supporting roles that were pushed up to Lead for whatever reason.

This one was a bit harder for me to formulate, as there are so many borderline cases and thus many I left off the list (I debated long and hard about whether to include Frances McDormand in Fargo, but since I already had somebody from 1996, I decided not to include her). Obviously, such a list could also include Eleanor Parker in Detective Story, Rex Harrison in Cleopatra, Peter Finch in Network, etc., etc.

Also, as you can see, this scenario occurs far more regularly in the Actress category than it does in the Actor category, indicative of the paucity of good Lead roles for women.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”