2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Interesting to note: This is the first time in Idol history that the Top 5 didn't have at least one black female in it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think my favorite "name" for Danny is:

Danny Kar-a-Gokey
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Zahveed wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
What makes him even more douchetastic is that he's riding on the wave of sympathy voters that still care about his dead wife, and he thinks it's because he's talented.

Interesting point. That must be why Jennifer Hudson got invited back.

I mean, Danny only has one casualty to his name, but he's no Jennifer Hudson. I'd think if your own mother, brother and nephew commits suicide-by-drug mob so as not to endure that klaxon horn that's supposed to pass for a singing voice, you're guaranteed a lifetime of sympathy from the stone-deaf.

Am I as funny as you guys? Am I?? Yee-ha!

Yes. Yes you are. The sarcasm is a little bit much, but by-golly I think you got it.

Honestly though, I wasn't trying to be funny. I think he comes off as a douche at times. I believe most of his votes are from sympathy. I don't think he realizes this. Put those ideas together and you get the sentence I wrote.

Yee-ha!
Sorry about that. Although I did quote your post, I intended my comment to be directed more generally. Some people strive so hard to be 'cool' and 'clever', but since they have none of those attributes they put 'repulsive' across instead. I basically agree with everything you wrote.

FWIW, I predict Lil' Rounds and Anoop-dog are done.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam wrote:In trouble: Danny( I'm just getting tired of him, not that he is too bad)
Just? Honey, that bandwagon has been circling around for quite some time. Danny's smugness and general douchery has worn so thin for me Was it really necessary for Paula to declare him Idol's most pitch-perfect contestant? Puke. I would love to see him voted off tonight.

I given Lil a lot of leeway throughout the season, but she just has no fucking clue. Her song choices have been abysmal. She is the one who should've sung "Dim All the Lights" last night, not Anoop. She could've had that elusive "moment" during the Donna Summers power-note.

Kris, you can do no wrong. Another fantastic and original performance. Adam was just electrifying. He's clearly one of the best Idols there's ever been. I like his attitude, too. Very low-key and genuine.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

My tentative, half-assed predictions for the two going home tonight would be Lil and Danny. Yes, Danny. I've always thought that the save thing would be used as dramatically as possible--when it is used, and when it surprisingly gets someone voted off because it's not in play anymore.

Dial Idol has everyone as in danger based on their numbers, but their scores (which involve very complicated formulas) haven't been too helpful this year. Some of their other numbers, especially a graphical representation of busy signals, have been pretty spot-on. This week shows Lil clearly at the bottom with Danny and Anoop fighting it out for sixth place. Since Anoop got the last spot, and Danny got buried in the middle, I'm going to guess that Danny goes. I'll probably be wrong though.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Staying:
Adam
Kris
Allison

Bottom-but-safe:
Danny
Anoop

Leaving:
Lil
Matt

It's not that Matt was horrible last night, but I don't believe he can garner enough support in a week to bring him from 7th to 5th place.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Some things are gellin' ( to use a word from that dreadful commercial)
Safe: Kris
Adam
Matt
On the cusp: Anoop
In trouble: Danny( I'm just getting tired of him, not that he is too bad)
Allison( too much shouting and does not sing from the diaphragm)
Lil* she just hasn't pleased the judges, and she tries, God, how she tries.

Going home: Allison and Lil
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Penelope wrote:By the way, did anybody else notice Simon's snarky comment that he expected Adam to perform a Donna Summer song?
Yup. Hello, Simon, could you hint any more strongly at Adam's sexuality? Trying to get voters to turn against him and towards your favorite Gokey-Son?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

By the way, did anybody else notice Simon's snarky comment that he expected Adam to perform a Donna Summer song?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Not that I was ever part of its target audience, but "I'm Every Woman" got permanently ruined for me when some shampoo company paid for the rights to use it in their ads, and I heard it many times daily, any time I watched anything on TV.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, Eric, Adam gets props for picking one of my top 5 all-time favorite songs. And I'll admit that I've never particularly cared for "I'm Every Woman."
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Penelope wrote:1. (tie) Kris - "She Works Hard For The Money" / Adam - "If I Can't Have You" -- Both were clearly the best of the night with creative and original arrangements, making them, amazingly, more emotive than the originals: A

2. Matt - "Stayin' Alive" -- Gotta totally disagree with the judges on this one; while it did have some karaoke moments, he threw himself into it with commitment, was in key and made you understand the lyrics without too much excessive showboating: B

3. Allison - "Hot Stuff" -- A good song for her, but as usual her vocal stylings got a little too overwraught: C

4. Anoop - "Dim All The Lights" -- Started out fantastic, but when the beat came in he kinda lost it: C

5. Danny - "September" -- AI and the judges are so totally cumming for this guy because of his red-state appeal--seeing the judges go wild for this substandard performance was like seeing a bad bukake video: D

6. Lil - "I'm Every Woman" -- I swear, I can't understand a word she's singing: F
It's uncanny. I haven't seen a one of these performances, but the songs themselves are ranked in precisely the inverse order against my affection for them. In short, pick a crappy song, it'll sound pretty good. Pick a good song, you fail.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'd put Kris above Adam, but otherwise I agree with Penelope's rankings. Adam almost wins me over sometimes, but he usually does something that pushes me away again. It's mainly in that screechiness.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

1. (tie) Kris - "She Works Hard For The Money" / Adam - "If I Can't Have You" -- Both were clearly the best of the night with creative and original arrangements, making them, amazingly, more emotive than the originals: A

2. Matt - "Stayin' Alive" -- Gotta totally disagree with the judges on this one; while it did have some karaoke moments, he threw himself into it with commitment, was in key and made you understand the lyrics without too much excessive showboating: B

3. Allison - "Hot Stuff" -- A good song for her, but as usual her vocal stylings got a little too overwraught: C

4. Anoop - "Dim All The Lights" -- Started out fantastic, but when the beat came in he kinda lost it: C

5. Danny - "September" -- AI and the judges are so totally cumming for this guy because of his red-state appeal--seeing the judges go wild for this substandard performance was like seeing a bad bukake video: D

6. Lil - "I'm Every Woman" -- I swear, I can't understand a word she's singing: F

Edited By Penelope on 1240362723

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Kris: Amazing. Original. Hot. The mouth thing was a little too much tonight, but the performance itself worked!
Matt: That was finally a vocal that proved he should be there.
Anoop: An interesting rendition of this song. Anoop is coming on strong in the final days...
Adam: Good vocal, but I don't like the arrangement.
Danny: Energetic, sure, but not really my thing.
Allison: Hardly memorable. Interesting enough, but not her best.
Lil: While it was better than every other performance she's given, there really wasn't anything spectacular here.

Bottom 3: Danny, Allison, Lil.
Going home: Allison, Lil
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Broadcast Media”