2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I just found this amazing heartwarming story regarding Britain's version of American Idol.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92464?fp=1
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Edited.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote:This is the worst group of contestants ever.
Worse than Seasons 3 and 6?

I'd personally rank this above those two seasons.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, I guess the search really was over, wasn't it?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's also look at dialidol correctly. Anything in Yellow could be considered bottom 3 as they didn't have enough data to make a more accurate prediction, which basically meant Adam was the only safe person. dialidol isn't very good until later in the competition when there are fewer contestants...of course, there probably aren't a lot of people still using dialidol, so that may be skewing numbers.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

He's a very good pianist, with or without his sight. Kudos to him for that. But the guy couldn't sing. And I know this is going to sound very stupid, but here goes. He looked like he had a major case of halitosis. Don't ask me how someone can look like they have halitosis. I don't know. All I know is there was something about his appearence that gave the impression that his breath was toxic. It's very stupid and superficial to think that, I understand. But every time I looked at him, that's all that went through my mind. In any event, he couldn't sing and they should have voted him off 15 years ago.

And it's time - once again - to take DialIdol.com with a grain of salt. When I last checked earlier today, they said Kris - who's one of the best contestants - was the lowest vote getter, and he didn't even make the bottom three.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1239245855
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Scott is apparently quite the musician, and has a very impressive resume as a pianist. He was recently accepted to Oxford and Cambridge for continued graduate studies in music. I'm sure he'll have a fine career...just not as a pop star.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

About time. I couldn't take him anymore.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Tonight I agree with Wes.
Some of the better performers did not live up to expectations, although there were good moments in every performance. Anoop and Matt are back from the Brink.
Safe:
Adam( although tonight was boring)
Allison( too young to sing this song convincingly, no matter what they said)
Matt (a great job, and he actually smiled)
Danny( although he took to long to get to the "meat" of the song.)
Anoop( True Colours was a hit tonight.)

In trouble:
Kris( never thought I would say this)
Scott ( thought he used the guitar as a prop; he certainly was uncoordinated with it)
Lil ( although I'll give her one more chance to shine, and she will.)

Going home: Scott( at last)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

cam wrote:DWS: I don't understand why you watch this show. You hate everything about it. I don't like it much, but it is *kind of* an interesting human nature study.

I don't hate it. But I think I may quit watching. This show is on probation for me. This is the worst group of contestants ever, and I have very little use for the winner (who has clearly been pre-ordained).

I didn't think anyone was anything beyond mediocre tonight, including Adam, Matt, Allison, and Danny (who were all overpraised I thought) as well as Scott and Kris (who were slightly underpraised I thought).

Who was that bald guy in the suit who looked like he had been hit by lightning?

Edited By dws1982 on 1239153103
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

-Matt: Matt's getting better in my estimation. I don't know if I can actually watch him, but he's pretty decent to listen too.
-Allison: Undeniably good vocal. But I've come to expect nothing less.
-Adam: It was a good performance, but not one of my favorites of his.
-Anoop: Where the others are fading, Anoop finally has a good performance after weeks of mediocrity.
-Danny: Not a great arrangement and there were a couple of lacks-personality moments and that smile is beyond goofy and in a lame way.
-Kris: It was likable, but hardly memorable. Good to see him mixing up the ballads with the dance stuff.
-Lil: Pretty much the original. Nothing new or special. Talk about shouting a song. Still has many off-key moments.
-Scott: The beginning was pretty good, but the chorus was bad and the finale was awful

Predictions:
Bottom Three - Scott, Lil, Kris. Going home: Lil
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

DWS: I don't understand why you watch this show. You hate everything about it. I don't like it much, but it is *kind of* an interesting human nature study.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sonic Youth wrote:I don't usually watch the results show. What exactly is this craziness that Megan did last night?
Ryan was doing the "this is what you sang, this is what the judges said, and you're safe/bottom 3" thing, and when he got to Megan and said that Simon had thought she stank, she interrupted with "I don't care". And she did that stupid bird sound that she did after "Rockin Robin". After the bottom three were announced, Ryan asked Simon if they would save one, and he did the usual, "We might save one" thing. When he announced that Megan had the lowest votes, Ryan asked Simon if Megan might be saved, Simon said that since she had said she didn't care, they didn't either, and to enjoy her swan song.

She proceeded to go stand right in front of the judges and sing the song as loudly as possible and more off-key than normal.

And another thing: When the contestants were doing impressions of each other, while Matt and Allison and Anoop all came off as good-humored, Danny really came off badly in my opinion with his Matt impression.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

cam wrote:So much for VFTW. Gone! Who will they pick next? The rest have some chance, even Anoop, and would they hit on poor South Asian kid?
Did we forget what happened two years ago?

By the way, Anoop was born in North Carolina.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I don't usually watch the results show. What exactly is this craziness that Megan did last night?

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1238695784
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”