Tom Cruise is a real jerk

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mann
Graduate

Post by Mann »

" I'm actually quite frustrated because once upon a time I thought she was a fantastic actress, but either the roles and directors aren't challenging her or she's just coasting because she can."

Besides To Die For...in what roles did Nicole ever come out of the Tom Cruise shadow? For 10 years she was banking on his star power...they were the powercouple, without him...she wouldn't have probably nearly the kind of exposure that she did...I think she learned about that when she split. Relationships aren't what she banks herself on anymore, its her roles. But please, what did she actually do that made you thin she was so fantastic before, and what is it that isn't as challenging now? the fact that she chooses Pulitzer Prize winning material as films?

"I'm not sure who "the flaunting like someone we know" is. Well I do, but I'm not sure what your point is. That applies to many people besides Tom. It's what Hollywood does."

yeah but not Nicole. And that's the point.
Pamela-Marie
Graduate

Post by Pamela-Marie »

Mann wrote:You just think Nicole is bad and can't stand her cause she's the biggest female star right now. She doesn't flaunt her relationships around like someone we know...she can't help it if the media loves to find out who she is dating and expose it. They probably twist it too.

For the sake of argument, if I did, why bite my head off?

I don't think Nicole is "bad". I'm actually quite frustrated because once upon a time I thought she was a fantastic actress, but either the roles and directors aren't challenging her or she's just coasting because she can. That doesn't make her bad, that makes her overrated. She isn't the only actress who is (and lord knows her ex fits into that category as well), but it don't change the fact that she's getting roles and money she hasn't earned from box-office and Oscar worthy back to back performances like others. And what I can't stand is the hype surrounding her because it is underserving and a day late and a dollar short. Why I can't feel that way and let it lie instead of it becoming a debate is beyond me.

I'm not sure who "the flaunting like someone we know" is. Well I do, but I'm not sure what your point is. That applies to many people besides Tom. It's what Hollywood does.
-- "Say I was Tom Cruise, where would you seat me?"
-- "In acting class."
Gilmore Girls, 10/28/03
Mann
Graduate

Post by Mann »

"Eyes Wide Shut, Moulin Rouge, The Hours, Cold Mountain, The Human Stain, The Stepford Wives . . . with the exception of The Others, not exactly box office smashes."

Eyes Wide Shut is before the time in discussion.

MOulin Rouge became a HUGE DVD sensation, and she got alot of the credit.

The Hours was release on a minimum of about 100 screens...and made 40 million. Its pretty good if you ask me.

Cold MOuntain was decent in Box office.

The Stepford Wives was a flop, but didn't stop Nicole.

You needn't be extremly successful to be the msot popular actress. Angelina Jolie is still extremely popular and she's starred in a string of flops.

Thing is that the media makes her poplar, as they do with every major star.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

How is Nicole Kidman the most popular actress today?

I admit she's in more movies than just about anybody, but how many of them were popular successes?

Eyes Wide Shut, Moulin Rouge, The Hours, Cold Mountain, The Human Stain, The Stepford Wives . . . with the exception of The Others, not exactly box office smashes.

And how many people have even HEARD of Dogville, Birth, or Birthday Girl?

I agree that she is a popular media star, but I don't think she's overwhelmingly popular as a movie star, if that makes any sense.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It was a Pity Oscar but NOT for her relationship with Tom Cruise.

The pity was that she lost the year before for Moulin Rouge after giving two of the year's most praised performances (including The Others). It was more of a make-up Oscar than a pity Oscar but same deal. The Hours was NOT her best performance and that year, the Academy should have given it to Julianne Moore who's far more overdue than Nicole.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mann
Graduate

Post by Mann »

Penelope wrote:saying she was the "most popular female star" is a bit disingenuous: Nicole may have been more popular with the tabloids, but both Chicago (Renee Zellweger) and Unfaithful (Diane Lane) were bigger successes at the box office than The Hours.
and yet she's paid the more than both of them...because while Nicole's film didn't receive the kind of box office, it was due to the fact that there weren't as many theaters for the film, more was it marketed as much.

Nicole still is the most popular actress today.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Mann wrote:IF they wanted to give her a "pity Oscar" they woul dhave given it to her in 2001 for Moulin Rouge...but they gave it to her a year later, when she was the most popular female star.

I'm sure I'll regret stepping into this battle, but I just have to say...they didn't give Nicole the pity-Oscar in 2001 because they had bigger fish to fry (namely, crowning the first black actress with a lead Oscar--I seem to recall that race being a three-way stretch between Halle, Nicole and veteran Sissy Spacek--and Nicole's Moulin Rouge! had far many more detracters than did Halle or Sissy), whereas the 2002 best actress race provided them with the perfect opportunity to present Nicole with her pity-Oscar--her turn in The Hours wildy mannered and over-the-top (which Oscar seems to love these days), and saying she was the "most popular female star" is a bit disingenuous: Nicole may have been more popular with the tabloids, but both Chicago (Renee Zellweger) and Unfaithful (Diane Lane) were bigger successes at the box office than The Hours.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Pamela-Marie wrote:She won because Hollywood felt sorry for her, plain and simple. You ask many Academy voters to their face why they voted for her and they'll tell you no different.
Just out of curiousity, how many Academy voters did you ask?
Mann
Graduate

Post by Mann »

IF they wanted to give her a "pity Oscar" they woul dhave given it to her in 2001 for Moulin Rouge...but they gave it to her a year later, when she was the most popular female star.

You just think Nicole is bad and can't stand her cause she's the biggest female star right now. She doesn't flaunt her relationships around like someone we know...she can't help it if the media loves to find out who she is dating and expose it. They probably twist it too.
Pamela-Marie
Graduate

Post by Pamela-Marie »

flipp525 wrote:Your argument doesn't make any sense, Pamela-Marie, or, at best, freely omits known facts. I think she's done some of the best work of her career since her split with Cruise. First of all, you've decided to completely lambast Bewitched sight unseen, a movie that actually looks quite clever to me. And then you conveniently leave out some of her most lauded work to date: Dogville (a relevatory performance), Birth (superbly unique in an underrated film), The Others, the list goes on. And, I'm sorry, but her Oscar for The Hours was well-deserved.

I don't think she's being cast because of pity at this point. She's one of the most bankable actresses working in Hollywood today and that's b/c of a little thing called talent. What is your big beef with her? Are you a Scientologist yourself? She's an emotional puddle? Where is your source on that? I just don't get your argument at all.

Let me make it clear, I don't measure Nicole's "foolish" quotient based on how much money she's making or which films she makes anyway. I made my original statement solely based on what I think of her romantic choices and I give her no credit for the breakup with Cruise. That happened despite her own wishes and that's no secret.

As for film, I haven't seen the finished Bewitched no. What I saw I didn't like in terms of Nicole's ability. It was cute, but well, moving on ... didn't like Dogville. I actually liked Birth, but I wasn't overly impressed with Nicole. The Others was certainly better than her performance in Moulin Rouge, but neither was Oscar worthy. And I liked her in The Hours but no way in heck she should have won the Oscar for it. She won because Hollywood felt sorry for her, plain and simple. You ask many Academy voters to their face why they voted for her and they'll tell you no different. And none of those performances, not a one measure up to her earlier work before she divorced Cruise. You can't tell me her performance in Birth was as wonderful as Eyes Wide Shut. It wasn't. I think she's made bad choices and given sleepwalking performances.

I don't think she's being cast solely based on pity anymore either. I think she's being cast on the hype she got from the Oscar and boost of stardom she got from pity and the divorce. Nicole is overrated now.

What are the known facts you are speaking of BTW? That you liked her performances make it opinion, not fact. It's obvious your reaction is based on your affection for Kidman's work, which is up to you. But that ain't fact. And for you to ask if I'm a Scientologist just proves you read nothing of my comments about Cruise, his statements, and his religion in this thread. Why on earth would me being one mean that I dislike her anyway? My "beef" with her? I have none. I'm tired of her being crowned a Hollywood darling based on nothing she's actually done that I feel is worthy of it. Where was this adoration when she actually had earned it through her work and nothing else? Where was her Oscar nomination for To Die For? Tom leaves her and now she's everywhere, Hollywood created her best revenge and they aren't going to take it away anytime soon.

I base my comments that she's an emotional puddle on what she says, how she behaves, and how she acts about certain things. Oh and because, purposefully or not, that's how she marketed herself after the breakup. Oh the pain, the pain, she didn't see it coming, she was a mess. Accident or not, it was excellent strategy while Hollywood was blaming Nicole for the split, to put the miscarriage in the divorce papers. It was at that moment everyone turned on Cruise. She played it to the hilt and more power to her, but I don't have to respect her for it.

I don't find her to be very mature, that's all there is to it. Why must there be an agenda about that? It's how I feel. I'm known to have little respect for most women in the first place, Nicole's just one in a long list, celebrity or not.
-- "Say I was Tom Cruise, where would you seat me?"
-- "In acting class."
Gilmore Girls, 10/28/03
Mann
Graduate

Post by Mann »

Yeha I still question it. Reuters didn't even get a quote of her saying "it is real" all they have is her saying "I'm happy"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

May 31, 2005
'Happy' Holmes Says Her Love For Cruise Is Real
By REUTERS
Filed at 11:50 a.m. ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - One of Hollywood's hottest couples may be having difficulty persuading the public their romance is genuine, but actress Katie Holmes says her love for screen star Tom Cruise is real.

``I couldn't be happier. I'm so happy,'' Holmes said on her way into the world premiere of her latest movie ``Batman Begins.'' ``He's the most amazing man in the whole world,'' she told Reuters in Tokyo on Tuesday.

Cruise, 42, has also made no secret of his interest in the 26-year-old, until recently best known for her role in the TV series ``Dawson's Creek.''

In a recent interview with U.S. talkshow host Oprah Winfrey, Cruise shed his cool image to enthuse about the relationship, prompting commentators to ask whether it was a publicity stunt aimed at promoting movies both stars were appearing in.

People magazine recently ran an unscientific poll showing that nearly two thirds of those questioned believed the Cruise-Holmes relationship, which became public in late April, was a stunt.

Cruise is starring in Steven Spielberg's ``War of the Worlds,'' due for release in June.

Cruise's love life is a mainstay of celebrity gossip. He and Nicole Kidman divorced in 2001 and he dated Spanish actress Penelope Cruz until last year.

Holmes said she was proud to be appearing in ``Batman Begins,'' directed by Christopher Nolan and also starring veteran actor Morgan Freeman.

Freeman, who has often preferred roles in serious dramas in recent years and won an Oscar for his supporting role in ``Million Dollar Baby,'' said he thought the time was right for him to take on a more commercial production.

``I haven't been asked to play in any of the major blockbuster types of movie -- Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Star Wars, any of that,'' Freeman said in Tokyo.

``Alec Guinness, who was one of England's most admired and able character actors, played Obi-wan Kenobi in Star Wars. He said he made more money off that movie than he'd made in all the movies he'd made prior to that. So I thought okay ... my shot.''
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

criddic3 wrote:
I am in no way implying that Mr. Cruise actually is a gay homosexual.

Umm, maybe I'm nitpicking here, but don't you sort of have to be gay to homosexual? Or are you referring to "happy" homosexuals?
Yeah, I think you are being a little nit-picky. The use of the term "gay homosexual" was obviously tongue-in-cheek as in he was adopting the verbiage of a conservative Midwestern bigot.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Pamela-Marie wrote:In terms of money and working, she's fine. But let's look at the list of films shall we? Starting with the pity Oscar for The Hours (probably her best work since the divorce) and ending with The Stepford Wives. In between middling to passible performances including the snooze inducing Interpreter and her future silliness in Bewitched. She's been letting her acting chops go to waste and eventually, the high of pity projects will taper.

And when you say she's done better in the break up department? Do you mean publicly, professionally, or emotionally? The press made Nicole a victim and a saint (and Cruise's recent actions are cementing that) and a star overnight. Emotionally, I contend she's still a puddle and just as educated about love as a seventeen year old. She's yet to prove me wrong.

Your argument doesn't make any sense, Pamela-Marie, or, at best, freely omits known facts. I think she's done some of the best work of her career since her split with Cruise. First of all, you've decided to completely lambast Bewitched sight unseen, a movie that actually looks quite clever to me. And then you conveniently leave out some of her most lauded work to date: Dogville (a relevatory performance), Birth (superbly unique in an underrated film), The Others, the list goes on. And, I'm sorry, but her Oscar for The Hours was well-deserved.

I don't think she's being cast because of pity at this point. She's one of the most bankable actresses working in Hollywood today and that's b/c of a little thing called talent. What is your big beef with her? Are you a Scientologist yourself? She's an emotional puddle? Where is your source on that? I just don't get your argument at all.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mann
Graduate

Post by Mann »

1) Ben Affleck never had the kind of star power that Nicole has. While Affleck was a star, he was Bennifer...

2) The pity Oscar shoudl be a sign that she's not done yet. They like her in HOllywood, not like Ben Affleck who isn't exactly embraced with open arms these days.

3) Her list of films aren't a sign that's she's stupid...perhaps you missed that Katie Holmes did a movie called First Daughter...yeah she's real brigth there.

4) So she's played around with Kravitz. I never took it as being that serious, and I don't think its affected her that much.

" Do you mean publicly, professionally, or emotionally? "

Professionally and publically. She's never been more popular, and she's never been more busy.

emotionally I don't know.

"Emotionally, I contend she's still a puddle and just as educated about love as a seventeen year old. She's yet to prove me wrong."

She still went on to win an Oscar and became a 15 million dollar actress...not exactly THAT stupid. Emotionally I don't know her so I can't tell, but she isn't pulling the kinds of stunts that Cruise has been pulling.

Return to “The People”