81st Annual Academy Awards Nominations

taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

jsmalahy wrote:
taki15 wrote:This thread has really veered off towards the surreal.

Said the poster who recommended drugs to a stranger.
Having a sense of humor is such a precious and underappreciated quality.
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

taki15 wrote:This thread has really veered off towards the surreal.
Said the poster who recommended drugs to a stranger.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

To carry the conversation from the other thread back to here, I don't care who misread whose post in this matter. In everything I've read, it's been you, Italiano, not Taki, that has been behaving immaturely and like a child.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

This thread has really veered off towards the surreal.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Do you really think I could take anything this child says seriously?
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

taki15 wrote:I guess it's that time of the month.

Otherwise I recomend Zyprexa 5, along with 3mg of Lexotanil every 12 hours. You will feel a lot better.
Be careful with the interactions...

Actually thank God Marco is a smart guy (and actually, anybody in this board sufficiently enough) to not consider this as a serious advice. He doesn't need it... and in case you were meaking a "clever" punch-line (which obviously, I hope, it was) this delicate products should never be mentioned in such light manner. People die every day because of misuse of this drugs, not only from overdose but actually from interactions. A benzodiazepine plus an atypical antipsychotic is a delicate combination
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mmm... I dont think that even Uri agrees 100% with everything he has written in that post :)
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Uri wrote:
Reza wrote:Better still somebody should now concentrate on making films on how the American government is persecuting nations around the world. Or what Israel is doing to Palestine. THIS subject is far more topical than Hitler and the jews.

Somehow bad timing for this remark, on the year of Bashir.

Speaking of which, this was today in the paper here:

A boycott on Israeli products in Lebanon prevents the screening of Waltz with Bashir

The film Waltz with Bashir, about the massacre in the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps, wont be screened in Lebanon due to the boycott on Israeli products, said last Thursday the Lebanese minister of culture, Tarek Mitri. He added that "according to the Law, the film mustn't be shown in Lebanon".

Mitri, who objects this censorship, tried to reform this legislation, stating that "the ban on screening the film is absurd since it can be downloaded on the internet".

"This law should be abolished so we could see movies like this and other movies as well. If the Censorship Law is abolished, those who'll be offended will be able to appeal to court" said Mitri.
It just goes to show that stupidity is a worldwide phenomenon, no matter what some people say.

By the way Uri, I agree 100% with everything you have written. You put my thoughts on paper (or rather pixels) better than I would ever could.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Reza wrote:Better still somebody should now concentrate on making films on how the American government is persecuting nations around the world. Or what Israel is doing to Palestine. THIS subject is far more topical than Hitler and the jews.

Somehow bad timing for this remark, on the year of Bashir.

Speaking of which, this was today in the paper here:

A boycott on Israeli products in Lebanon prevents the screening of Waltz with Bashir

The film Waltz with Bashir, about the massacre in the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps, wont be screened in Lebanon due to the boycott on Israeli products, said last Thursday the Lebanese minister of culture, Tarek Mitri. He added that "according to the Law, the film mustn't be shown in Lebanon".

Mitri, who objects this censorship, tried to reform this legislation, stating that "the ban on screening the film is absurd since it can be downloaded on the internet".

"This law should be abolished so we could see movies like this and other movies as well. If the Censorship Law is abolished, those who'll be offended will be able to appeal to court" said Mitri.

Edited By Uri on 1232901261
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

No, but they were, you know, that kind of leftist, openly anti-American filmmakers, with more fury than thought. Vital and passionate, though, they certainly were, and deep inside I think they were even more honest than their - at the time many - imitators.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I don't think I ever even said Goodbye Uncle Tom was anti-American. By positing a problem, one would have to presume a belief that it can be fixed.

I'm a fan of P&J, based on what I've seen so far. Given the option between clumsy, blunt but vital filmmaking and tasteful, inert but good-intentioned pap ... well, I guess I don't need to tell anyone what I prefer.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

No, really, anti-Americanism doesn't need to be crazy or furious (not to mention, of course, gross or sensationalistic like probably it is in this movie). It can be balanced and very effective.

But I will see this movie. The dynamic duo Jacopetti-Prosperi is (in)famous in Italy as creator of highly profitable, politically-oriented (which back then was good for the box-office), trashy pseudo-documentaries (one was even Oscar-nominated). Seen today, they are still terrible, but in some ways quite interesting.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1232900024
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I think yes, movies with Goodbye Uncle Tom's high level of fury, though perhaps not its low level of tact.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Eric wrote:I imagine when people say there should be more films made about the nefarious presence of America in the modern world, they probably want movies like this
No, I don't think they want movies like this... :)
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

Uri wrote:It is a trend, a mighty one even, but this is the way Hollywood has been – picking a trend then beating it to death. One is allowed to question this trend, even mock it.

And I'd love to see an Obamaesque new era in Hollywood. It's time for Slavery to be explored. Historical and modern colonialism and imperialism - let these be the new trends indeed.
As this taki person would say: indeed.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”