Hugh Jackman to host Oscars

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This is quite a leftfield choice. I think this will draw in more comic book fans than women and gays (Wolverine, for crying out loud, is hosting). If The Dark Knight is indeed nominated, this will be the largest comic-con ever.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sabin, you aren't happy with anything ever, are you? You should probably take some time off and consider why you even still watch the Oscars...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CHOOSING ME!!!

I feel so honored!

Thank you! Thank you! :D
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Oh, thank God they chose Hugh Jackman! How else are you going to lure gays to the Oscars?
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:...this is a bad, bad idea.
Sorry, Michael Cera was, for some reason, unavailable.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

He's so damn hot, he could host the opening of a Cracker Barrell and I'd be there.

Edited By flipp525 on 1229107823
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is such a brilliant choice. He's a great host AND he'll bring in the two core demographics the Oscars have: Women and Gays!

The Condon team is doing a terrific job so far.

And this is official on the Academy Website:

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2008/08.12.12.html

Edited By OscarGuy on 1229107644
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

...this is a bad, bad idea.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

That's what they're saying:
LOS ANGELES – Hugh Jackman will host the 81st annual Oscars, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences confirmed Friday.

The 40-year-old Australian actor, recently named People magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive," won an Emmy in 2005 for hosting the 59th annual Tony Awards in 2004. He was also nominated as host of the 2005 Tonys.

Jackman, who first claimed fame as Wolverine in the "X-Men" movie franchise, recently starred in Baz Luhrmann's romantic adventure film "Australia" with Nicole Kidman. He was out of the country Friday for a world promotional tour for the film and was not immediately available for comment, his representative Alan Nierob said.

He's never been an Oscar nominee, but was nominated for a Golden Globe for his role in 2001's romantic film "Kate & Leopold." His other movie credits include 2006's "The Prestige" and 2004's "Van Helsing."

With new producers, a new set director and even a new music director, the Academy has been hinting at an all new look and feel for this year's Oscars telecast on Feb. 22.

Jackman's selection is a departure from the Academy's standard of big-name comedians. Jon Stewart, host of "The Daily Show," hosted the ceremony in 2008 and 2006; Ellen DeGeneres was the 2007 host. Chris Rock, Steve Martin, Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg have also hosted the show in recent years.

Personally, I like this choice. He did an excellent job at the Tonys.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”