The 2008 Fall Campaign

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Well, Palin's a Stalinist because she can see Russia from her house.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Maybe that will calm down a bit Sabin.

Biden won debate, but Palin more likable, poll finds

By ERIKA BOLSTAD

McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON -- Undecided voters who watched Thursday's vice presidential debate really like Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin but they're not certain she's ready to lead the country, according to the findings of a new Ipsos/McClatchy online poll.

If they had to vote immediately after watching the debate between Republican Palin and the Democratic vice presidential candidate, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, 52 percent of the 456 undecided voters who were surveyed would vote the Obama/Biden ticket, the poll found.

It also found that Palin's performance in the debate did nothing to clinch undecided votes for her running mate, Arizona Sen. John McCain. Before the debate, those same undecided voters were leaning 56 percent to 44 percent for McCain. The day after the debate, the numbers tilted 52 percent to 48 percent for Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

"It's suggesting an overall tendency of undecideds toward Obama, so it is significant," said Clifford Young, a senior vice president at Ipsos Public Affairs. "We're catching an underlying trend that's going on."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I've come to expect this kind of dirty stuff from Republican operatives but not since Spiro Agnew have we had a Vice Presidential candidate spewing such venom. It's a sign of desperation which I would hope the electorate is smart enough to rise above now that real bread and butter issues have grabbed everyone by the throat.

They are pointing out that he is a "Negro" by trying to tie him to every questionable black villain who ever lived. I fully expect them to find someone to say that his idol growing up was Idi Amin. And of course all this un-American talk is a not so subtle reminder of Michelle Obama's gaffe when she said for the first time she feels proud to be an American.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

OscarGuy wrote:We all knew that the only way they were going to be able to proceed was to start trotting out all of the connections Obama has, real or imagined. So, you should also expect more about the Reverened Wright in the new few weeks.
I'm waiting for the ad where they point out that Obama is a Negro.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We all knew that the only way they were going to be able to proceed was to start trotting out all of the connections Obama has, real or imagined. So, you should also expect more about the Reverened Wright in the new few weeks.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's getting nasty now. Palin is accusing Obama of being un-American by bringing up the fact that he lives in the same neighborhood as some old Weatherman. Some commentator on CNN said next they'll find a way to tie him in to O.J. Simpson.

Does this do anything at this stage of the game but show up McCain to be a pathetic loser?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

McCain has two more opportunities. He was a dick but to some degree, he came back. We'll see what happens over the next two but I'm optimistic about Obama's chances. Considering just how far down the bar was set for Sarah Palin, I think she has to feel proud of herself. Biden did fine but Palin gained about as much ground as could have been reasonably expected while still being Sarah Palin.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Everybody said relatively the same thing: JOE BIDEN WINS DEBATE BUT SARAH PALIN HOLDS HER GROUND. That means Sarah Palin won.
Which might matter if winning-a-debate-relative-to-subterranean-expectations was your goal. Given that Biden and Obama's goal is, rather, winning the election, they got everything they could possibly have wanted out of the night.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

But, really flipp, what a question to ask! I'm a reasonably attractive guy. I don't pretend to be a magnet but I'm certainly not ugly or unlikable. Admittedly, it has been a while, but that because I haven't been trying lately and I missed a few very good chances to get laid recently. I want a boyfriend more than a night or two of passion. When a person gets to be 30, I think its the responsible thing to do.

Bottom.

I don't think there can be any real debate about who "won" the debate. The winner is the person who gains the most ground and nobody can argue that that was Sarah Palin. She appeared condescending, smug, and unpleasant but *competent*. Beyond anything else, competency has been her biggest hurdle. Joe Biden was expected to annihilate her and Sarah Palin was expected to end the debate crying and eating ice cream. Neither of these things happened. How could Biden prepare to debate Sarah Palin? How do you prepare to debate a blank slate that can become anything? Palin had plenty of blunders but that was going to happen. Biden saw Palin bullshitting on national television, smiled, and let the bitch go...

...because he was afraid to appear like a bully. He called her out a few times but not to any substantial degree. Sarah Palin started strong and quickly looked a tired by the end. Biden held strong throughout, appeared effortlessly presidential, nailed his rhetoric, got properly choked about re: his wife, and walked away "the winner". Everybody said relatively the same thing: JOE BIDEN WINS DEBATE BUT SARAH PALIN HOLDS HER GROUND. That means Sarah Palin won.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Don't worry cridic. I just found your soulmate.
He is straight of course. But then again, nobody is perfect.

Projecting through the Screen

Rich Lowry

A very wise TV executive once told me that the key to TV is projecting through the screen. It's one of the keys to the success of, say, a Bill O'Reilly, who comes through the screen and grabs you by the throat. Palin too projects through the screen like crazy. I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, "Hey, I think she just winked at me." And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America. This is a quality that can't be learned; it's either something you have or you don't, and man, she's got it.

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

flipp525 wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Joe Biden didn't help your cause either by declaring that he and Obama are against Gay Marraige.

I do agree that there is a cultural shift, but I think it has to do with the new generational attitudes about gays in general. I think Palin is reflecting that change. Many Republican youths don't view gay people the way some of their elders did. That is good news for the future.

Do you have to pay guys to fuck you?
I have never paid for sex in my life, although one of my forner friends once asked me to be his pimp. That memory makes me laugh everytime I think of it. Knowing him, he was only half joking about it.

But, really flipp, what a question to ask! I'm a reasonably attractive guy. I don't pretend to be a magnet but I'm certainly not ugly or unlikable. Admittedly, it has been a while, but that because I haven't been trying lately and I missed a few very good chances to get laid recently. I want a boyfriend more than a night or two of passion. When a person gets to be 30, I think its the responsible thing to do.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

criddic3 wrote:Joe Biden didn't help your cause either by declaring that he and Obama are against Gay Marraige.

I do agree that there is a cultural shift, but I think it has to do with the new generational attitudes about gays in general. I think Palin is reflecting that change. Many Republican youths don't view gay people the way some of their elders did. That is good news for the future.
Do you have to pay guys to fuck you?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Penelope wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:She did sign legislation into law in Alaska allowing gay domestic partners hospital visitation rights not allowed in many other states.

My understanding is that she did so under duress; the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that gay domestic partners have visitation rights and that the Alaska legislature must pass such a law; Palin wanted to veto it but was advised that doing so would be unconstitutional given the court's ruling.

I think the remark about "tolerance" is revealing of a cultural shift that is not getting much airplay: no longer can an aspirant to high political office, at least not national political office, declare outright that they are a bigot, so now they hypocritically hide behind the codeword "tolerant."

Are we now reading peoples' minds and hearts here?

How can you know if Palin isn't being sincere? She certainly seemed sincere to me.

Joe Biden didn't help your cause either by declaring that he and Obama are against Gay Marraige.

Edited By criddic3 on 1223145050
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Better in concept than execution.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Return to “Current Events”