[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I like this year and I'd kinda like to make whatever contribution to it that I can, even if it means installing a Goo Goo Dolls song.
"How's the despair?"
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I count six, including BarryBrooks' potential pick: one screenplay, two editing, and three song slots. So unless BarryBrooks passes, it'd have to divide 3/2.

I'm not opposed, but that's easy for me to say as I'm done with this year. I do wonder what jack and Sabin, the two besides you who'd be giving up a chance to make a last contribution to the round, might say.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OK, assuming Barry Brooks will make one pick in each of the three groups, Groups 1 and 3 will be locked. We will be left with six openings in Group 2. I suggest to expedite this that the first two players at the top of the third round, Oscar Guy and Eric, each make 3 selections in Group 2.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:Group 2: I ADORE Randy Newman's Pleasantville score. I also adore Randy Newman's A Bug's Life score. But Pleasantville is even better, and I'd hate for Newman to lose all three of his nominations this year. So I replace A Bug's Life with Pleasantville in Original Musical/Comedy Score.
That's a new one - changing dramatic score to musical/comedy score, though I suppose if we can move actors between lead and supporting, we can move within the musical categories as well when dealing with a film that is both a drama and a comedy.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Wow, slim pickins.

Group 1: I really would have liked to get Bill Murray in the Supporting Actor lineup...but I can't replace Ed Harris, a wonderful actor in what is now a pretty underrated performance. I can, however, preserve Ian McKellen before someone does something they might regret.

Group 2: I ADORE Randy Newman's Pleasantville score. I also adore Randy Newman's A Bug's Life score. But Pleasantville is even better, and I'd hate for Newman to lose all three of his nominations this year. So I replace A Bug's Life with Pleasantville in Original Musical/Comedy Score.

Group 3: Um....preserve Saving Private Ryan in Sound Effects Editing?
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I don't hate it. And there could be an argument that it fits as well in the Comedic Score category as the Dramatic, so all is not necessarily lost for its fans here.

I just like High Art better. The score especially, but the movie as well. I'm happy I was able to get it a mention. Patricia Clarkson would have improved the Supporting Actress category in almost any slot (definitely not Kimberly Elise's, but probably any of the others) but for whatever reason I made other priorities.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Ahh - I love Newman's Pleasantville score.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Group 1:

Well, I must say I'm pretty shocked that there's still space for me to do this, but I'm certainly going to enjoy it: replace Steven Spielberg in Best Director, rescuing Terrence Malick. Which makes the final lineup in this category pretty awesome in my opinion.

Group 2:

I was expecting to do an Original Song from this soundtrack, but seeing the Dramatic Score category with an available slot, I'll do that instead: High Art (composed by Shudder To Think) replaces Pleasantville.

Group 3:

Wish I could have done more for this wonderful film, but happy to add Babe: Pig in the City in Best Visual Effects.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

RE: Best Supporting Actress
Poor Lisa Kudrow...still hope for Bill Murray.
"How's the despair?"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

First of all, I´m going to preserve in Group1 the great and late James Coburn for his intense performance in Affliction.
Group 2: Preserving Shakesperare in Original Music or Comedy Score.
Group 3: Preserving Armaggedon in Sound Effects Editing
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:Wait, so is Hustler skipping his turn? I'm happy to go if I'm really up, but...
You are up in the best of the best game for real.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I screwed up the turn order so if Hustler wants to override one of Film Fan's choices especially in one or both of the two categories he locked I guess that would be OK but otherwise he shouldn't have to take back any of his choices.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

After Hustler, it's you, rB.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Wait, so is Hustler skipping his turn? I'm happy to go if I'm really up, but...
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sorry...the name in the topic title was mine, so I figured I would go ahead. I can take them back if someone wants me to.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”