[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Well, Gandhi is easily out of this one, even if I had a pass. The other four are fine films, but nothing really stands out here. I am real tempted to go with E.T., but I think I will hand this over to Das Boot. It seems like the kind of film too often passed over in categories like this (claustrophobic, not sprawling) and just as deserving.

Sabin, lets stick with this year (I like it, it was my birth year). How about Best Director 1982.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Supporting Actress, 1967. Meh.

Channing unseen, I'd vote Parsons easily. But I have no passes left. Mildred Natwick is pretty funny. So she gets my vote.

FilmFan: Cinematography 1982.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Best Actress, 1948

Ingrid Bergman, Joan of Arc
Olivia de Havilland, The Snake Pit
Irene Dunne, I Remember Mama
Brbara Stanwyck, Sorry, Wrong Number
**Jane Wyman, Johnny Belinda

Wyman is out because I have no more passes. Stanwyck starts out good but by the end her overwrought hysteria got on my nerves....such a relief at her outcome! This is not one of my favorite Bergman performances. So it is between de Havilland and Dunne.

I'll give the award to the lovely Irene Dunne.

OriginalBJ: Best Supporting Actress 1967
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Out is Kwai, in comes Funny Face.

Reza, tackle Best Actress, 1948.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Robert Shaw (A Man for All Seasons) eliminates Walter Matthau (The Fortune Cookie)

Okri: Best Cinematography 1957.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

My favourite Paul Newman performance, I’d have picked Hud over this field any day of any week – this week it gives me all the more pleasure to do so.

Penelope – supporting actor 1966
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Original Screenplay
Splash!
Beverly Hills Cop
El Norte
Broadway Danny Rose
Places in the Heart *

I won't choose Splash and Beverly Hills Cop. I haven't seen El Norte. So between the winner Places In the Heart and Broadway Danny Rose, i chose the latter .

rudeboy - Best Actor 1963

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1222739075
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Margaret Avery - The Color Purple
Anjelica Huston - Prizzi's Honor***
Amy Madigan - Twice in a Lifetime
Meg Tilly - Agnes of God
Oprah Winfrey - The Color Purple

Blechk. I really don't like The Color Purple. I've never seen Twice in a Lifetime. Prizzi's Honor is okay. It's a nice collaboration of everyone involved. But I do really love Agnes of God. I was enthralled with it as a teenager and recently on a re-watch. I think Meg Tilly was fascinating and very enjoyable, so I will give it to her.

Cinemanolis: Best Original Screenplay, 1984
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Jack Nicholson's Oscar for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is very well-deserved. He brings Ken Kesey's most famous character to the screen in a larger-than-life way. Yet, I don't feel strong enough about it to use a pass here. Let's scroll through the other nominees: James Whitmore's performance in Give 'Em Hell, Harry! (a film which is quite difficult to track down, by the way) is competent and entertaining, but the movie is literally a filmed monologue and just not that interesting. Walter Matthau completely bugs me in The Sunshine Boys. Let's be honest, that movie is just not good. Al Pacino is fantastic in Dog Day Afternoon and I admire the whole energy behind that true-life story that all the participants bring to the screen.

In the end, though, I have to give the PenelopOscar to Maximilian Schell for his unforgettable turn in The Man in the Glass Booth. It's an incredibly powerful performance that has stayed with me a long time. As dated as the film is, there is truly a haunting quality about it I can't shake years later.

barrybrooks: Best Supporting Actress, 1985.

Edited By flipp525 on 1222786420
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Paging Flipp.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Sabin wrote:She's a fucking monster. A little stalker. If she was a fat girl, it'd be a horror movie.
LOL
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The Original BJ wrote:
Sabin wrote:She's a fucking monster. A little stalker. If she was a fat girl, it'd be a horror movie.

Je ne seront pas ignorés, Nino!
LOL
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Je ne seront pas ignorés, Nino!
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

LOL

Man, I was laughin' like a mad man... thanks! For stuffs like this I love to come here!

* Gone with the Wind -- Victor Fleming
Goodbye, Mr. Chips -- Sam Wood
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington -- Frank Capra
Stagecoach -- John Ford
Wuthering Heights -- William Wyler

A really hard category. Fleming's win is such an obvious good choice. However, having just a pass left and considering the other nominees I don't feel sure enough to use it here.

Believe it or not, I haven't seen Goodbye, Mr Chips... sorry. John Ford's work at the time was incredible, defining its time as no other director could. He must be the right choice considering the achievement Stagecoach is (the first minutes alone are a plus). However, I already gave The Grapes of Wrath the Best Picture award so I don't feel bad for letting him aside on this one. So, it's between Wyler and Capra.

I have fond memories of Wuthering Heights, such an exquisite film. Even though Olivier's Heathcliff was way too filled with mannerism, the film itself is very beautiful to look at. But deeply in my mind I think the really clever work was Capra's in Mr Smith... A film that I can't forget a frame of. So Capra gets it...

Flipp, Actor '75
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

She's a fucking monster. A little stalker. If she was a fat girl, it'd be a horror movie.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Other Film Discussions”