R.I.P. Paul Newman

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Incredibly beautiful tribute by David Letterman. I don't need the video montage at the end but this is a class act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....rl=http
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

In Honor of Paul Newman, who died on September 26, TCM will air a tribute to the actor on Sunday, October 12th, replacing the current scheduled programming with the following movies:

Sunday, October 12 Program for TCM:

6:00 AM The Rack
8:00 AM Until They Sail
10:00 AM Torn Curtain
12:15 PM Exodus
3:45 PM Sweet Bird of Youth
6:00 PM Hud
8:00 PM Somebody Up There Likes Me
10:00 PM Cool Hand Luke
12:15 AM Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
2:15 AM Rachel, Rachel
4:00 AM The Outrage

Hate that they're showing Rachel, Rachel at 2:15am; it's a Best Picture nominee that I've not seen, and our cable provider doesn't have a DVR option.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Somebody Up There Likes Me was a very good one, too.

It is sad, but I think we all knew this day was coming sooner rather than later. He had been ill for some time.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Cat, Hud, Luke, and Butch Cassidy were my favourites. He will always be remembered, not the least for the best and bluest eyes ever seen on the screen. And, apparently, a very nice man.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Hud was my favorite movie of his; but, The Sting was one of the first movies I saw that got me interested in the Oscars.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

A great loss! it´s hard to imagine that he´s no longer between us.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

A wonderful actor and by all accounts a wonderful man.

My soul felt a little sadder when I read the news this morning.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The world is a lesser place today.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I've been dreading this.

Newman had both a hugely honorable career and an honorable life -- something not that many can say on either score, let alone both.

As an actor, he evolved quickly from pretty-boy Hollywood star to serious actor. His first breakthrough, Somebody Up There Likes Me, labored rather obvious in imitation of Brando, but by the time of Cat on a hot Tin Roof he had found his own voice. His work in the 60s -- The Hustler, Hud and Cool Hand Luke -- put him solidly in the Hollywood history books. It's a shame temporal circumstances kept him from winning his well-deserved Oscar during this period. (The Hustler my preference) They finally did honor him, years late, for a solid but not brilliant performance in Color of Money. Ironically, had they held off longer, they could have spotlighted him for one of his truly great pieces of work, in Nobody's Fool.

But he was bigger than all that, anyway. I recall hearing him referred to, in the late 80s, as "Academy Award winner Paul Newman", and the designation seemed almost to diminish him. Living Legend might have suited him better -- for his lengthy career as both star and actor (which continued to show quality right to the end: he couldn't have been more perfect in Empire Falls), and of course for his spectacular charity work and overall mensch-ness.

I was once asked the metaphysically absurd question, Is there some other person you'd like to be? I always said blues singer Alberta Hunter, because her attitude toward life seemed so serene. But Paul Newman would have been just as good an answer.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

It was bound to happen, but regardless, my favorite actor has died. This is a sad day.
MerryKarma
Graduate

Post by MerryKarma »

Very sad news...I think he definitely was more than his beautiful, blue eyes.

:(
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

His last big movie performance, supporting role in Road to Perdition was also magnificent.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

FilmFan720 wrote:It is a pity he only got one competitive Oscar, and for one of his less interesting film.
The Hustler (1961), Hud (1963),The Verdict (1982) and Nobody's Fool (1994) come immediately to mind......he could have just as easily won for any of these far more deserving performances.
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Dreadful news. Just an all-around great man.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Whether we expected it or not, it's still rather shocking news.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The People”