[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Without a second's hesitation. Woman in the Dunes is, more than any other, the film that got me hooked on the cinema of Japan when I saw it nearly ten years ago. I've seen practically everything Teshigahara made (not the Princess Goh or Jose Torres, but pretty much everything else- including, just last week, the shorts recently released on the new Antonio Gaudi DVD), much of it multiple times, and Woman in the Dunes is still my favorite (Pitfall and Face of Another are next-best). I'm so glad this was pitched my way.

Original BJ, take Original Score, 1992.

Off-topic, but while I'm reminded: I'm currently mired in a tremendously fun project- researching and writing a substantive essay on early Japanese film for the San Francisco Silent Film Festival's program, which is showing its first Japanese film this July- Teinosuke Kinugasa's Crossways. Other films on the program include my favorite Harold Lloyd film the Kid Brother, Colleen Moore in Her Wild Oat, Carl Dreyer's 1924 gay-themed drama Michael, Lon Chaney & Joan Crawford in the Unknown, introduced by Guy Maddin, and more. All with live accompaniment by top-class silent film musicians. If anybody reading this is contemplating a trip to San Francisco this summer, try to include the second weekend of July in your plans, and see the Castro Theatre for yourself. I'd love to show you around town too- if there's any time leftover after all the films.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I wish you would've honored Forster.

Rain Bard, do the right thing and give Teshigahara his due.

Edited By Sabin on 1207767769
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I'm not going to use a pass on Williams win, a great warm performance that actually works for me... he was trying to keep himself very underplayed and it worked, we dont get his usually annoying stuff but in the end it seemed an easy role (maybe not for him!) and I'm not really sure if he was that great. I'm not crazy about Robert Forster's work but this is the type of performance that we should see more in this category. It would have been great to see him winning... He's not my winner though... Nor is Hopkins, amazing as usual, I love him in the film but no way I'm going to give him the award.

Greg Kinnear and Burt Reynolds... Something tells me that I should be giving this award to Reynolds, who to everybody's eyes was kind of perfect in the film, but I never felt quite connected with his character, whit his concernings... I think his performance was overrated (by the time of the ceremony I was so sure he was going to win that watching him lose was aching). And even though Kinnear is not my favorite depiction of a gay character in the year (I enjoyed so much more Everett's performance in My Best Friend's Wedding) I love how warm his scenes are, a little bit over the top but in the end so fun and great to look at. He's not a great actor, for my money he doesn't deserve an Oscar, and his role might be better written than acted but man, I'm having such fun giving him this award...

RainBard, Director '65

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1207762845
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm going to temporarily remove Zahveed from the game until such time...so Harry Goldfarb is next.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Great choices, both Bog and OscarGuy!
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

OscarGuy wrote:An easy choice for me if there ever was one, 1995's Best Picture winner: Babe.
The only choice! Good one.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's up to Penelope. I just picked the person who follows me in the game (though, I find it odd that I'm handing off to Zahveed again in a new turn order)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Zahveed: Best Supporting Actor, 1997

Haven't we already deduced that Zahveed is sort of out of commission for the time being? Maybe this should go to Harry Goldfarb instead.

Edited By flipp525 on 1207751421
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Braveheart is easily excised from history and from memory as Best Picture. It's amazing to think that the 90s was marred by only one AWFUL film, one terribly mediocre film and one 30-minute shot of brilliance (followed by 2 hours of interminable mediocrity). When you look at the 90s, it really was a spectacular decade for Best Picture.

I never saw Il Postino, so that's removed from the list. And two of the year's great films, Leaving Las Vegas and Dead Man Walking weren't even nominated...

Apollo 13 is enjoyable, but certainly not to the level of Sense and Sensibility or Babe.

Sense and Sensibility is a wonderful Ang Lee film, but not nearly his best.

There are few kids films that have moved beyond mere genre fixations. Babe takes an indelibly sweet story, throws in two endearing supporting performances and teaches kids the power of perseverance all while providing adults with an entertaining and moving portrait.

An easy choice for me if there ever was one, 1995's Best Picture winner: Babe.

Zahveed: Best Supporting Actor, 1997
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Cool that Colman won his Oscar, not gonna get a PenelopOscar here, wiping out my passes. Interesting that I was given Best Actress this year as well, and that I preserved Peck's Oscar for Mockingbird, who was good in Gentleman's Agreement, but not amazing.

As Mitchum is strangely absent from this list and should replace Redgrave, this is really quite an easy decision. Powell could be tempting but it's not the Thin Man and he did win for that.

John Garfield really gives a gem of a performance and the finest of his tragically short life/film career. I gladly give this award to him, truly one of my favorites.

Surprised to see this hanging on for dear life, OG, take Best Picture 1995.

Edited By Bog on 1207719280
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Penelope wrote:Reza
dws1982 (3 Passes: Director '46; Picture '04: Supporting Actor '04)--No Passes Left
Bog (2 Passes: Actor '62; Cinematography '75)
OscarGuy (1 Pass: Cinematography '79)
Zahveed (2 Passes: Supporting Actress '88; Original Score '05)
Harry Goldfarb (1 Pass: Actor '79)
rainBard (2 Passes: Supporting Actor '84; Original Score '77)
Original BJ (3 Passes: Supporting Actor '03; Picture '77; Actress '39)--No Passes Left
Penelope (2 Passes: Supporting Actress '68; Cinematography '78)
Sabin (1 Pass: Film Editing '00)
Okri (3 Passes: Supporting Actor '77; Picture '43; Actress '58)--No Passes Left
rudeboy (2 Passes: Director '52; Picture '69)
Flipp (1 Pass: Original Song '88)
FilmFan720 (1 Pass: Picture '55)
Cinemanolis (1 Pass: Picture '99)

We're waiting on Zahveed.
Bog you are up next with:

Best Actor 1947.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

It's Bog- and I know just who I'm hoping for him to pick...
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I've got a lot going on that's been keeping me off the board lately.

And I don't have a lot of time now, but I'm giving this to Rachel Roberts for This Sporting Life.

Whomever's up next, take Best Actor, 1947.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Reza wrote:dws1982: Best Actress 1963
Does anyone know if dws is still having problems with posting? Last time he emailed somebody with his response.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Flipp, I really don’t consider the treatment of Richard and Philip’s relationship in The Lion in Winter to be all that negative. First of all, the scorn that the family heaps on Richard is just equal to the scorn that they heap on each other: John’s mental retardation, Geoffrey’s cold, calculating banality, Alais’ naivety, Henry’s infidelity and arrogance, Eleanor’s favoritism and arrogance, etc.

While you could argue that Philip’s use of his relationship with Richard to deliberately disgust Henry has a homophobic air to it, but, at the same time, it’s worth pointing out that Richard is the most traditionally “masculine” of the sons (and it seems pretty clear that he’s the bottom in the relationship), and also that his love for Philip seems the most “pure” and, at the same time, tragic of the relationships in the film: since Henry and Eleanor are betraying each other from the start, and Henry is essentially using Alais as a toy, when Philip betrays Richard to his father, it’s actually quite heartbreaking.

And, oh, yes, the nude scene in Romeo & Juliet: seeing Leonard Whiting getting out of bed after spending the night with Juliet, all his stuff on display, was a momentous occasion for me in my 7th grade English class.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Film Discussions”