[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dws1982 wrote:Test
I'm new at this game. Does this mean I was supposed to prompt somebody other than dws1982?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Test
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

This is an easy one!

I have never been able to understand how the Academy chose Cuba Gooding Jr's hammy performance (Jerry Maguire) over Edward Norton (Primal Fear). Macy and Stahl are ok and James Woods was an unbearable choice as a nominee.

I give the award to Edward Norton.

dws1982: Best Actress 1938

Edited By Reza on 1206844710
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Great line up. Not a dud nominee in the bunch. And yet Cate Blanchett takes it in a walk for I'm Not There.

Reze gets Best Supporting Actor, '96.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Cinemanolis is unavailable for two weeks, so it's actually Sabin's turn; also, with Sabin taking his turn, that ends this round and I've posted a new player line-up in the results thread, so Sabin will hand off to our newest player, Reza.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I gave a Best Picture PenelopOscar to Dr. Strangelove a while back, and I'm enough of a knee-jerk auterist that, since 1964 is one of those years in which the director and picture lineup matched up, I don't hesitate to give this award to Kubrick. Had someone like Joseph Losey (for the Servant), Shohei Imamura (for Insect Woman) or Alfred Hitchcock (for Marnie) been in the lineup I would have been tempted to spread the wealth a little, but none of the actual nominees tempt me to stray from my previous choice (though I must admit I still haven't seen Becket.)

Cinemanolis: take Best Supporting Actress, 2007
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Zahveed wrote:I'm going with Willem Dafoe in Shadow of the Vampire. I haven't seen it since its VHS release but I remember finding him naturally creepy despite not caring for the movie itself.
Great choice. Toss-up between Dafoe and Albert Finney from the nominees for me, but I'd probably have gone with Dafoe. A very prolific actor who manages to be consistently interesting. Shadow of the Vampire was far from a successful film overall, but his performance was fascinating and riveting.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'm going with Willem Dafoe in Shadow of the Vampire. I haven't seen it since its VHS release but I remember finding him naturally creepy despite not caring for the movie itself.

RainBard - Best Director '64

Edited By Zahveed on 1206717005
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Completely agreed, Sabin. Meryl Streep is fantastic in One True Thing and totally deserved a nomination that year. And, yes, Fernanda Montenegro deserved the Oscar over Paltrow. Her performance in Central Station is one of the best nominated performances of the latter half of that decade. I do recall her looking particularly disgusted when Gwyneth won.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Meryl Streep gives a very fine performance in 'One True Thing'. Along with 'The Bridges of Madison County', it's her best work of the decade. Just because she gets nominated so frequently for what she doesn't deserve ('Music of the Heart') shouldn't cast a pallid shadow over when she clearly does('Adaptation.'). I would give it to Montenegro that year but Streep would give Blanchett a run for her money in my mind.

I think both 'The Piano' and 'Schindler's List' had two of the most iconic scores of the decade, instantly recognizable and beautiful. 'The Piano' sits next to 'The Truman Show' and 'There Will Be Blood' in the hall of damn shames.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Original BJ wrote:Well, my first thought was "I'll replace Schindler's List with The Piano," but then I always forget that that score wasn't even nominated. Wasn't it an eligibility rule again? God, the music branch needs to get over those.

I'd have gone for Schindler's List of the nominees, but I don't have any more passes to use up. So I'll give it to Elmer Bernstein's lovely work on The Age of Innocence. Bernstein certainly deserved more than one trophy in his long, great career.

OscarGuy: Best Actress '98.
Yeah, they deemed Michael Nyman's score as too reliant on old Scottish melodies to qualify as original.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I was actually kinda surprised this category was still open.

But so long, Gwyneth Paltrow. I don't like her and I really didn't think she was anything special in Shakespeare in Love and think she should go Oscar-less.

I did not see One True Thing and it was one of those Meryl Streep performances that always got nominated whether it was deserved or not (she doesn't get as many of those anymore now that she's a record holder).

I thought Emily Watson was quite good in Hilary and Jackie, but I thought Rachel Griffiths was slightly better, and besides, Watson's best performance was in Breaking the Waves by a mile.

That leaves Fernanda Montenegro in Central Station and Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth. Now, most will probably know this is a slam dunk, foregone conclusion, but I must say that Montenegro was quietly devastating in Central Station, a film I went through a great ordeal just to see (it was also the same day I saw Gods and Monsters). So, while the event has lasted longer in my mind than the plot of the film, it was Gods and Monsters I remember to this day (despite only one viewing ever!). So, Montenegro, good, but not my winner.

Cate Blanchett wins the Oscar she richly deserved for Elizabeth. It was her first nomination and she should have won (and were it not for Hollywood nepotism, I don't think Paltrow would have won). Blanchett wasn't the ingenue. She gave a tour de force performance that was so powerful it generated a sequel (which I haven't seen, but I don't care). I loved the film Elizabeth and Blanchett gave one of the best performances fo the decade in it. So, here's a replacement Oscar for the two you are likely to lose in the near future (if not already because I haven't checked).

Zahveed: Best Supporting Actor, 2000
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Well, my first thought was "I'll replace Schindler's List with The Piano," but then I always forget that that score wasn't even nominated. Wasn't it an eligibility rule again? God, the music branch needs to get over those.

I'd have gone for Schindler's List of the nominees, but I don't have any more passes to use up. So I'll give it to Elmer Bernstein's lovely work on The Age of Innocence. Bernstein certainly deserved more than one trophy in his long, great career.

OscarGuy: Best Actress '98.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Reza wrote:Is it too late to join in? This game seems less complicated than the new one.
Absolutely, Reza; I'll be rotating the list of players and put you at the top of the list.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

It is in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't too bad.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”