Foreign Film Short List

1998 through 2007
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

rain Bard wrote:THE ORPHANAGE, PERSEPOLIS, 4 MONTHS..., SECRET SUNSHINE and SILENT LIGHT all were selections at Cannes. As was exactly one of the shortlisted selections: the one directed by Academy perennial Denys Arcand.

It's worse than you make it sound. The Arcand was the official Closing Night selection.

Meaning, "Yeah, your film's in the festival, but it kinda sucks."

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1200898715
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The Original BJ wrote:The Orphanage is not on par artistically with 4 Months and Persepolis -- both of which are among the best films of the year -- but I rather enjoyed it. It's a cleverly structured mystery with a lot of scares and a surprising amount of emotional oomph. It's not deep, but it's a lot of fun.

Just saw it last night and I liked it a lot. It would have been interesting to watch a film like this one getting a nod, nonetheless I have to say it's not the usual film that gets nominated in this category. I like how Spain and Latinamerica are redifining their cinema by using elements of their own culture and transforming them into movies of world resonance. If The Sixth Sense was able to compete as a best picture contender why can't this film do such thing in the foreign language field... although I have to say that If Pan's Labyrinth didn't manage to win last year, it isn't weird to see this film left out of compitition... yes, it's formulaic, but at the end I found it quite effective... and the "terrenal" issues (the actual fate of the boy) actually moved me very deeply. I absolutely liked it... just a shame...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:
Hustler wrote:No, I´m from polish origin. And you´re right there are lots of italians in my country. Have you ever been here?

No, never, unfortunately. I've heard that Buenos Aires is one of the most beautiful places in America (and of course I've seen it in movies and pics). So I think that I will get there one day.
Yep. people who come here from abroad say that this city looks very european.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Hustler wrote:No, I´m from polish origin. And you´re right there are lots of italians in my country. Have you ever been here?
No, never, unfortunately. I've heard that Buenos Aires is one of the most beautiful places in America (and of course I've seen it in movies and pics). So I think that I will get there one day.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I don't see how those would have come out. I'll check my AMPAS emails when I get home, but they've never produced such a list to my knowledge.

I'm almost sure they did it last year, too.
They did.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:It was released at the end of 2006, I think - which makes it eligible for this year's Oscars.
In Argentina, a film would have to be released in the period october 2006/Septiembre 2007 to be eligible for this year.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

No, I´m from polish origin. And you´re right there are lots of italians in my country. Have you ever been here?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

It was released at the end of 2006, I think - which makes it eligible for this year's Oscars.

Are you of Italian origins? There are lots of Italians in your country...
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

La Sconosciuta, Italian´s representative was released in Italy in 2006. Isn´t it against the rules?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:I haven't seen the Argentinian one, though it was distributed here months ago. I'll try to find it.
I wish you liked it. It´s worth it.
As for italian movies, I hope to have the chance to see more italian releases in my country. Unfortunately this year only 4 films from your country were released. Recently I had the privilege to see La Meglio Juventú, directed by Marco Tulio Ferrara. A gem! I adore italian films. I find that the nostalghia in them is so deeply expressed. (Of course, I´m referring to the good ones).
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Yeah Greg, that´s a story about an hermaphrodite.

Edited By Hustler on 1200503193
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Hustler wrote:I´m sad for the argentinian snub: XXY.
Is that XXY as in DNA?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Oh sorry but THAT other thread had taken all my attention...

It hasn't been a great year for Italian movies, I admit it, but I'd say that both Daniele Luchetti's political drama My Brother is an Only Child and even Ferzan Ozpetek's gay tearjerker Saturno Contro - while not masterpieces - were better than Tornatore's frankly unbearable soap opera. But, I mean, it could be that I am wrong - after all not only Tornatore did triumph at our own David di Donatellos (and even I have to admit that Best Actress for Kseniya Rappoport WAS deserved), but now he's very close to his third Best Foreign Film Oscar nomination. But please see the movie and tell me.

I haven't seen the Argentinian one, though it was distributed here months ago. I'll try to find it. But Eric is right - it's not like movies from all around the world are easily distributed in Europe too. I mean, in Italy we get almost all the French and Spanish movies, of course, and probably the best from Latin America, but for example a movie from Mongolia will be shown here only if it is nominated at the Oscars. Yet, I must admit that I am lazy, too, so it's partly my fault - and among those nine movies the one from Canada was distributed here, but I missed it, and this weekend the Austrian movie will open too. The highly praised Serbian movie has been already bought by Italian distributors, and same for Nikita Mikhalkov's 12. And at the moment two of the most popular films at the Italian box-office are the Lebanese Caramel and a French/Tunisian one called Le Grain et le Mulet. But come on, I'm too busy "expressing myself" here, I can't watch all movies...

Edited By ITALIANO on 1200501150
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Don't Tell

Oh, you saw it! Well, The Unknown is even worse. Yet I can't deny that the Italian Foreign Film committee - while always choosing movies which I'd never even remotely pick - is probably smarter than me: Don't Tell was nominated and now this one could be, too.
Italiano, IYO which were the best italian movies of last year?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I guess that Austria, Brazil, Canada, Poland and Russia will be the nominees.

Edited By Hustler on 1200484998

Return to “The 8th Decade”