Costume Designer's Guild Nominations

1998 through 2007
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Original BJ wrote:Love in the Time of Cholera only gets mileage if voters realize its costume designer died.
But then she could me more probably honored for La Vie en Rose.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The CDG often has strange eligibility rules, which might explain Lust, Caution's omission. (Though they did pick La Vie en Rose, so it can't be a subtitled thing entirely.)

Atonement and Sweeney Todd look great, I've accepted the inevitability of an Oscar nomination for Elizabeth: Absolutely Unnecessary, and am now rooting for Lust, Caution and Hairspray. Both films will probably show up somewhere, and this category seems as good a place as any.

Love in the Time of Cholera only gets mileage if voters realize its costume designer died.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Tough call. I thought 'Lust, Caution' was in there for sure.

Right now, I think 'Atonement', 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age', and 'Sweeney Todd' are sure things. So is probably 'La Vie en Rose'. I'd like to think that 'Lust, Caution' or 'Hairspray' would make it, but they're up against '3:10 to Yuma' and '300'. I thought the costumes in '3:10 to Yuma' (and pretty much everything in that film) *looked* profoundly average, but Ben Foster's get-up is pretty classy. I'll go with 'Lust, Caution'.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:For the first time, No Country AND There Will Be Blood are left off entirely. The first western makes it into a race (and should it really surprise us with the number of women and gays in the CDG that they nominated a western?).
i have had 3:10 TO YUMA for costume on my predix list for a month now. the costumes were more than the usual cowboy costumes, particularly ben foster's hint of pink in his getup. i think 3:10 TO YUMA can easily end up with an oscar nom in this category.
LA VIE EN ROSE also could possibly show up. i held out hope that LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA would be nominated for its set and costumes, but i am thinking the movie was just too strongly disliked by hollywood.
these period nominees could easily be our oscar noms.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

I'm surprised Hairspray didn't score a nod in the Period category.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

For the first time, No Country AND There Will Be Blood are left off entirely. The first western makes it into a race (and should it really surprise us with the number of women and gays in the CDG that they nominated a western? :) ). Sweeney gets only its second guild nod, but other Best Picture contenders Juno, Diving Bell and Into the Wild each got nominated.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

CONTEMPORARY:
Blades of Glory
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Into the Wild
Juno
Ocean’s Thirteen

PERIOD:
Atonement
Elizabeth: The Golden Age