DGA Nominations

1998 through 2007
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I think whenever there is a strike of any kind, its just human nature to immediately side with the worker and not the owner....but the truth is its hard to ever know exactly which side is being more unreasonable...from what i've read about this strike, i'll still side with the writers....it sounds like the producers are being more standoffish and it looks like neither side is willing to budge...i have a feeling both sides feel they have leverage, and thats not good if your hoping for the strike to end.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Hollywood Z wrote:And there were also reports of a meeting being held by some WGA members looking to end the strike by aligning themselves with the DGA when they go in for their negotiations. Also, aren't Jon Stewart and George Clooney WGA members themselves? I think what they're getting sick of, which a lot of us are, is the blinded wrecklessness and shameless self promotion the WGA is using to publicize their strike. At this point, they don't seem to be negotiating as much as they are demanding and I think it is hurting any leverage they had when they started. The strike's gone on for too long, too many other business owners in the Hollywood community are being hurt like Clooney stated and no one's wanting to listen to each other. Between that and the anger expressed by tv addicts that are forced to contend with shelved half series and lame reality shows, the WGA seems to be losing steam the more they flex their muscles. Clooney is right, this does need to end now.

WGA had already compromised on several issues which were part of their original proposals. On the last day of negotiations, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers had walked out on them. WGA did negotiate, and it got them nowhere.

Everybody wishes the strike would end. Writer's are also losing money, and so are their agents. But AMPTP are the ones who are holding firm, refusing to return to the bargaining table. Looks like THEY'RE the ones who aren't negotiating. Sure, the WGA could lay supine and allow the production honchos to have their way with them, but that hardly seems right or fair. You wouldn't say that was fair, would you?

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1199912155
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

And there were also reports of a meeting being held by some WGA members looking to end the strike by aligning themselves with the DGA when they go in for their negotiations. Also, aren't Jon Stewart and George Clooney WGA members themselves? I think what they're getting sick of, which a lot of us are, is the blinded wrecklessness and shameless self promotion the WGA is using to publicize their strike. At this point, they don't seem to be negotiating as much as they are demanding and I think it is hurting any leverage they had when they started. The strike's gone on for too long, too many other business owners in the Hollywood community are being hurt like Clooney stated and no one's wanting to listen to each other. Between that and the anger expressed by tv addicts that are forced to contend with shelved half series and lame reality shows, the WGA seems to be losing steam the more they flex their muscles. Clooney is right, this does need to end now.

And, yes, this is shaping up to be one of the most exciting years for movies in recent years. What makes them so exciting is that for such a dry spell throughout the year, these past couple months have simply been exploding with great releases that are offering great alternatives to the studio schlock that's getting crammed down our throats (National Treasure 2, I Am Legend, The Golden Compass, etc.) And there are so many to choose from, look at the return on Juno this past week, it managed to squeak it's way to number two at the box office, beating out I Am Legend with almost half the number of screens and a lot less than half the budget. Then there's exciting films like No Country for Old Men or inspiring films like The Diving Bell and The Butterfly or thought provoking films like There Will Be Blood. We're finally into a good stretch for movies and if the WGA strike hinders this, then they're only hurting themselves because they're letting their less than mediocre work be remembered and not allowing their shining moments to be showcased.

Now, back to the race, for the past couple weeks now, actually, since the SAG noms, I've been thinking that Atonement may not be the embraced the way that The English Patient or any given sweeping romantic epic that the academy usually eats up. Not any discredit to the film itself, but perhaps the academy is looking to branch their tastes elsewhere this year. Maybe they're trying to shake off their reputation for being blindsided by the costume romance film. However, that being said, I do still think Atonement will find itself in the illustrious five Best Picture catagory, but Joe Wright and Christopher Hampton may find themselves excluded in their respective catagories. What would this mean? That the race is between critic darlings (for once) No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood. Atonement will have the lion's share of the nominees of the Best Picture candidates, but will only be front runners in the design and score catagories, the latter in which it would win.

rollo, as far as Tony Gilroy and Armageddon is concerned, I think we need to look to other people that should be faulted. Remember, there were five (!!!) people associated with Armageddon's screenplay, one of which was J.J. Abrams, who seems to be doing okay for himself lately. Besides, Tony Gilroy also gave us all of the Jason Bourne movies as well. If we're going to fault anyone for Armageddon, it should be Jonathan Hensleigh, who was credited from concept to end, Shane Solerno, who has written absolutley nothing good, and Michael Bay, for his interpretation of said screenplay. Remember, even Randall Wallace wanted his name removed from the Pearl Harbor screenplay credits.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

anonymous has a point. The WGA doesn't want the grand daddy of all awards shows to cancel.

But, by the speeches of people like George Clooney at the Critics' Choice, it's clear that even SAG's members are getting a little tired of this whole thing. Everyone keeps rightly pointing out how many other businesses are losing millions because of this showdown. They seem to think both sides need to start working together and that both groups are partially in the wrong. Jon Stewart's comments have been similarly pointed.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Call me a naive optimist but there's no way the Oscars will be cancelled. The axing of the Golden Globes is a negotiation strategy that will likely pressure executives who have a lot of money at stake at the Oscars into giving in to the demands. The WGA will start to lose public sympathy if they cause the Oscars to be canceled.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I was the one who said I couldn't imagine anybody saying "Hon, let's go out tonight and see 'Atonement'.

...I really don't want to seem petty but I honestly said pretty much exactly these words back in November.

Regardless, I think it's amazing how rapt up I (and a lot of people are) in a race that probably doesn't matter. How sad is it that THIS!...the Academy Awards I'm dying to see...IS THE ONE THAT PROBABLY WON'T FUCKING BROADCAST!!!

We could end up with the most consistently excellent roster of nominees and winners in years!...and nobody's gonna know what happens until press the next morning. If nominated, I'll say that 'No Country for Old Men' and 'There Will Be Blood' will probably be among the best (if not THE best) nominees this decade and the least conventionally front-running...and audiences won't be forced to check 'em out. The Best Year for American Movies in Years...and we don't get to see an Oscarcast free of travesty. Joel & Ethan Coen vs. Paul Thomas Anderson? Wake me up next year, when it's Paul Haggis vs. Ron Howard. Thank you.

Edited By Sabin on 1199868281
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Original BJ wrote:One can only wonder how I get by in life when I actually have to remember things that are more significant than who predicted the Atonement ship was sinking first.
Yes, true, I wonder too. But since these things are, at least to me, obviously of vital importance, next time try to be more careful, ok?

Anyway, you should remember it well, since you were one of those who attacked me right after my posts about Atonement following the NBR... Or was it Mister Tee? Sorry, for some reason I keep mistaking you with him, my memory is also very confused it seems.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Michael Clayton was a great film....should it be nominated....well i've seen five better films....but it was well done and an entertaining film in every way....my only complaint was its pacing at times....and i've seen you mention that it came it out "nowhere"...it has far from come out of nowhere, it got great reviews and was a factor since october....its been here and from all accounts its going to stay here....and this is a man that does deserve it, he is obviously a talent and he did a brilliant job with this screenplay, he could have gone down so many wrong paths and went down all the right ones.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

anonymous wrote:Biggest surprise to me is Tony Gilroy making it over Wright, Burton, Scott and Reitman (in that order). This, I think, effectively seals Michael Clayton in the Best Picture race.
just you saying that makes me sick, how the hell am i going to survive if it actually happens? this is the man that brought us ARMAGEDDON! he should be punished, not praised. :angry:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Original BJ wrote:
Okri wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:
I'd say Wright becomes a long shot candidate at best. When was the last time such an obvious nominee missed and recovered at the Oscars?

Robert Altman for Gosford Park?

I guess what I meant by "obvious" nominee was a film that had been touted for ages that screamed Oscar on the page and was believed to be a major front-runner, like The Hurricane, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and Cold Mountain. Something that should be right up the DGA's alley.

I'd put Gosford Park in a category with fellow Guild snubbee/Oscar player Letters From Iwo Jima as critically-acclaimed, late-breaking efforts that sort of snuck up on Oscar as they started to rake in kudos. While the DGA omissions were surprising, they didn't feel the like the sign of a sinking ship. It still seemed likely their directors would be Oscar-nommed, because those films were still staking their claim as major players.

Atonement has been on every prediction list for the past six months -- it was THE film (or at least one of two) to beat. I'm not saying it's impossible for it to recover, but the lack of DGA nod seems far more dire than those snubs for Altman and Eastwood.
Oh. In that case, I agree.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Biggest surprise to me is Tony Gilroy making it over Wright, Burton, Scott and Reitman (in that order). This, I think, effectively seals Michael Clayton in the Best Picture race.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I'll be happy if we actually have to wait until the winner is announced to know. That will be nice.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Okri wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:A shockingly non-sucky list.

I'd say Wright becomes a long shot candidate at best. When was the last time such an obvious nominee missed and recovered at the Oscars?

I guess what I meant by "obvious" nominee was a film that had been touted for ages that screamed Oscar on the page and was believed to be a major front-runner, like The Hurricane, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and Cold Mountain. Something that should be right up the DGA's alley.

I'd put Gosford Park in a category with fellow Guild snubbee/Oscar player Letters From Iwo Jima as critically-acclaimed, late-breaking efforts that sort of snuck up on Oscar as they started to rake in kudos. While the DGA omissions were surprising, they didn't feel the like the sign of a sinking ship. It still seemed likely their directors would be Oscar-nommed, because those films were still staking their claim as major players.

Atonement has been on every prediction list for the past six months -- it was THE film (or at least one of two) to beat. I'm not saying it's impossible for it to recover, but the lack of DGA nod seems far more dire than those snubs for Altman and Eastwood.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

abcinyvr....i think a nomination for 4 months is about as certain as can be...that and persepolis...i would be shocked if one of them didn't get nominated....persepolis will probably win and that wouldn't upset me, but 4 months i thought was the best foreign film...not that i've seen a lot.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Original BJ wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:A shockingly non-sucky list.

Return to “The 8th Decade”