Broadcast Film Critics Awards (Critics' Choice)

1998 through 2007
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:Did every single fucking joke have to be about the oppression of black people?
Not everything he said was funny, but unfortunately a lot of what he said was true.

We have a black man running for President who barely says anything about black oppression and white privilege (and certainly he never puts it in those terms) so I'm okay with anyone else who wants to state the obvious and the obviously ignored (at least by the mainstream).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think he was trying to be Chris Rock who had a similar joke trajectory. But I'll agree that D.L. was absolutely terrible. Although many of his WGA comments were spot-on, they were in extremely poor taste and he wondered why he, later in the telecast, had to admonish the audience for finally getting on the ball with his jokes.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

That host sucked shit, by the way (he sucked on the suckfest of Studio 6) on the Sunset Strip, so I'm not exactly surprised). Did every single fucking joke have to be about the oppression of black people? It got so old and played out, I just started to feel embarrassed for him.

Edited By flipp525 on 1199798696
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I'm so glad the No Country train is running so smoothly! All the way to the Oscars, hopefully.

And I hope the Obama train picks up its own "precursor award" in New Hampshire tomorrow night.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Juno already had the third slot.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Wasn't it after the BFCA's when Little Miss Sunshine began its upward trajectory?

Juno's following the same trajectory. If you haven't done it already, erase that "fifth slot" from your Best Picture predictions and replace it with Juno.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I can't believe that a film as good as No Country for Old Men is the current frontrunner. That's just awesome.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:I agree, Zahveed. I was at least hoping for some kind of surprise out of this group, but they couldn't muster up an unusual choice in the least.
But they did pick Jonny Greenwood, who's not even assured a nomination.

I'm no Radiohead-head, and I haven't seen "There Will Be Blood", but even I find the prospect of a score nomination exciting.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

anonymous wrote:Into the Wild, despite having the most nominations, was completely shut-out
And the continuous praise during the red carpet show just made it sadder
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

i'll be naive and think they didn't have an agenda and actually picked what they thought was best
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:
Penelope wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:That was fucking cruel...

I'm not watching...what was cruel?

They put up an In Memorium section making fun of movies, but then the last entry was The Golden Globes.
Actually, that was the funny part.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous wrote:Into the Wild, despite having the most nominations, was completely shut-out
Not an unexpected outcome. Other than Song, it really didn't have a shot at anything with this lot.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Into the Wild, despite having the most nominations, was completely shut-out
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I agree, Zahveed. I was at least hoping for some kind of surprise out of this group, but they couldn't muster up an unusual choice in the least. Even their most ludicrous (like Enchanted) don't seem all that unusual when you think about it. I wonder if they are just trying to use their position to try and create a "you can't NOT honor our winners" set of selections.

But we must remember that the BFCA rarely ever rocks the boat, they go with safe choices because they think that's how they're going to continue to be able to call themselves "one of the best precursors".
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

That was the most predictable awards show I think I've ever seen. I guessed them all right but three. And I'm usually a very terrible guesser...
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “The 8th Decade”