No votes
1/2 *
5%
No votes

Total votes: 20

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I would fire back Eric, but my favorite weapon has been taken away.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Aakash, Pen, you're both right. Into the Wild and Atonement are both mediocre.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sorry Pen, I love the novel but Atonement the movie is barely mediocre. Into the Wild meanwhile is lovely. And come on! The real life Christopher McCandless gave his money away to OXFAM. How can you not love that?

I wish the producers of Atonement and Lars especially had given away their production money to OXFAM instead of making those two films.

Edited By Akash on 1199765553
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:McAvoy is slightly better -- giving the best performance in the otherwise mediocre Atonement -- and Hirsch's performance and film are easily the best of the three.

WRONG!!!!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Anonymous, I think you're right that only one "hot" young guy will get in -- as opposed to the Actress side where there are usually three or four young beauties -- and with Clooney already taking up a "hot" spot (and really, no one occupies that spot more deliciously than he does) and possibly even Depp as well (though I've never really found him hot but whatever), it will be a miracle if even one of the twenty something year old guys got in. Gosling is very talented but he's the least deserving of the three, McAvoy is slightly better -- giving the best performance in the otherwise mediocre Atonement -- and Hirsch's performance and film are easily the best of the three. I really can't decide though which one of them has the best chance if only one of them gets in. Hirsch and McAvoy have potential Best Picture nominees on their side, but Gosling is a previous nominee.

God, I really hated Lars and the Real Girl.

Edited By Akash on 1199764595
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Depp even got a SAG nod for Finding Neverland, a feat he couldn't duplicate with Sweeney Todd, so I really don't think he's even in the running for a nomination. Especially if Into the Wild and American Gangster are faring incredibly well with Academy voters.
It would surprise if more than one of the three twenty-something guys in the running (Hirsch, McAvoy, Gosling) gets in since this is a category that favors veterans over youngsters. Only one of them (at most) will get in. For now, I'm saying it's Gosling. With Day-Lewis and Clooney being virtual locks and Mortensen seemingly positioning himself in a slot, that leaves room for one. I'm gonna say Depp since he's almost certain to win the Globe. He's not out of the running yet, OscarGuy.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

OscarGuy wrote:Depp even got a SAG nod for Finding Neverland, a feat he couldn't duplicate with Sweeney Todd, so I really don't think he's even in the running for a nomination. Especially if Into the Wild and American Gangster are faring incredibly well with Academy voters.
From your lips to the Academy's ears Oscar Guy! For my money, Emile Hirsch is far more deserving.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Depp even got a SAG nod for Finding Neverland, a feat he couldn't duplicate with Sweeney Todd, so I really don't think he's even in the running for a nomination. Especially if Into the Wild and American Gangster are faring incredibly well with Academy voters.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

atomicage wrote:Some of you may scoff at such a thought, but I honestly, despite Day-Lewis and Clooney raves, can see Depp taking the prize with this one, deserved or not.
Atomicage, I would NEVER scoff at any prediction that showed how synonymous the Academy's taste was with a lack of good taste. Passing over the wonderful Day-Lewis (one of our best actors) and the charming Clooney in favor of Depp doing crap in an underwhelming film would be no big deal for a voting population that passed over David Lynch and Robert Altman in favor of Ron Howard.

As Damien has said before, it would be the quintessential Academy result. I'd almost expect it to happen.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

See, I liked it more so than not, and honestly, it is such an odd performance that I can see him both being completely overlooked and, dare I say it, winning. Some of you may scoff at such a thought, but I honestly, despite Day-Lewis and Clooney raves, can see Depp taking the prize with this one, deserved or not. One thing I am pretty certain of, though, is that he will at least get the Globe.

Again, neither you, Cam, nor Akash, liked it. And I totally understand. I felt that, from the get-go, there would be fans of the musical who hated it, and fans who loved it. And after looking across several forums, blogs and websites, I see that that is EXACTLY what is happening. As Zahveed said (at least, I think he said it), whether you like it or not, more power to you.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

atomicage wrote:I, unlike some here, don't feel Depp played the performance one angry note the whole time, though I can easily see him being overlooked by Oscar this year.
I hope he is overlooked, but even if Sweeney Todd fails to get nominated, he could still get in for Best Actor. If they could nominate him for doing nothing in Finding Neverland, they can nominate him for doing something here (even if its done poorly).

If Depp gets the nomination, I think we can count him among Judi Dench, Kate Winslet, Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep as actors who will be nominated for almost any performance. But then again, after three years in a row, I thought Renee Zellwegger and Russell Crowe were in that spot and well, the Academy surprisingly wised up and showed some restraint.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

atomic, I agree that Spall was a loathsome creature, so slimy you couldn't wash it off. I also agree with you that it would be good to see someone else -- I don't know about Fincher though--would do with the material.
But, in contrast to what you did: I had already seen both live and recorded concerts of the piece, before I saw the film; and knew them very well, had studied the score and the show, so, as I have been saying, I was appalled to see it was Burton-Depp-Carter.

I have been trying to figure out why I was so fidgety during the first 20 minutes or so of the film, and I think that it was that my anticipation and expectations of the energy and the rapid movement of events in the act were not met. It was all very melodramatic and plodding.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

atomicage wrote:And I have to say, I liked it (which makes me think Akash won't like it, because I don't think there's a film we've agreed on yet :D).
I already posted in this thread that I didn't like it.

Nice to see some things don't change.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

See, just as a test, I went into the film having not seen or heard a single tune from any of the stage productions of Sweeney. With that in mind, I entered the film with a completely blank slate.

And I have to say, I liked it (which makes me think Akash won't like it, because I don't think there's a film we've agreed on yet :D). But to be balanced, I then watched the George Hearn/ Patti Lupone (my favorite cast duo for the staging) concert version, and then popped in the Len Cariou/Angela Lansbury VHS. Gah, the show in itself, as most of you have already said, is just fantastic unto itself, and I appreciate each production (including the film) in its very own respects.

Johnny Depp was quoted in interviews as saying that he was going for a more tenor rock-and-roll Sweeney, so I wasn't surprised when he differed from the Hearn/Cariou operatic bass. I, unlike some here, don't feel Depp played the performance one angry note the whole time, though I can easily see him being overlooked by Oscar this year.

Helena Bonham Carter, in terms of acting, is a great Lovett, as in she always seems to have something to hide, an agenda that we don't truly comprehend until the final revelation concerning certain persons' fate. In her singing, I really don't know if I loved it or hated it; she mumbled her way through "Worst Pies in London". I think her biggest trouble was sticking with the Cockney accent through her songs; as many before me have said, while such a feat could have been accomplished, it made her tunes muddled at certain points.

Alan Rickman was just as I expected him to be, which, I suppose you could say, is a good thing. Timothy Spall is probably my favorite Bamford to-date, simply because he adds a certain slimy, almost-pervertness to the character.

The kid actors were fine, though yes, some of Johanna's notes were a tad shrill. Though, to be quite honest, in all the performances, I wanted to fast-forward through the romantic fluff between Anthony and Johanna, and get back to Sweeney and Lovett, the avenger and the pie-maker.

For me, the breakout performance was little Ed Burns, whose singing was so great at some points that I was almost shocked. Cool voice, that one has. I just hope that he can play more than just this one role for a chance at a future career.

Overall, I truly enjoyed the film for what it was: a trimmed down, slightly more contemporary version of a wonderful stage production by a remarkable lyricist. Tim Burton was, for me, a very interesting choice to direct, mostly because of the surreal, [sarcastic]romanticized[/sarcastic] violent moments of the film. However, call me crazy, I would have really liked to have seen what somebody like David Fincher would have done with this material as well.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Yeah I'll cosign what FilmFan and Oscar Guy said, along with Cam.

And Oscar Guy sweetie, you and I are probably the only people who outright hated it. Heck, if you add Sweeney Todd to the "Worst of Burton" poll (which doesn't include Planet of the Apes) I'll vote for it!

Return to “2000 - 2007”