AFI Movies of the Year

1998 through 2007
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Penelope wrote:
MovieWes wrote:
Damien wrote:Do they only include American pictures -- is that why there's no Atonement?

I'm not sure about that. After all, they included the Lord of the Rings films -- New Zealand productions -- three years in a row.

But they were financed by an American studio, which is the key here; look at The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, a movie about the French, in French and set in France--but the money was provided by Americans, so it makes the list.
The people who set up those criteria must be the same ones who determine Oscar foreign film eligibility. Absurd.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

MovieWes wrote:
Damien wrote:Do they only include American pictures -- is that why there's no Atonement?

I'm not sure about that. After all, they included the Lord of the Rings films -- New Zealand productions -- three years in a row.
But they were financed by an American studio, which is the key here; look at The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, a movie about the French, in French and set in France--but the money was provided by Americans, so it makes the list.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Much better list than last year, but lacking 'Jesse James'.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

It's nice to see Pushing Daisies get some more love.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yep
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Do they only include American pictures -- is that why there's no Atonement?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Typically, only 4 of these make Oscar's best picture list. twice 3 have and once 5 have. I do find it interesting that Dreamgirls made last year's list, but Sweeney Todd didn't make this year's.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR--OFFICIAL SELECTIONS

BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY
INTO THE WILD
JUNO
KNOCKED UP
MICHAEL CLAYTON
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
RATATOUILLE