BFCA Nominees

1998 through 2007
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Flipp, I think you were trying to say "jump 'n fuck him" not fucking jump him. ;)
Not to be too crass, but I'm the one who gets fucked.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Flipp, I think you were trying to say "jump 'n fuck him" not fucking jump him. ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:I still can't get the image of James McAvoy in Atonement out of my head, though. He's absolutely swoon-worthy in that movie. That scene with his mother in their kitchen where he's just wearing his undershirt -- I just wanted to fucking jump him.
Tell me about it! My mouth was agape at the beauty on display.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Jamie Bell is totally yummy. Nice piece of ass on that one. I still can't get the image of James McAvoy in Atonement out of my head, though. He's absolutely swoon-worthy in that movie. That scene with his mother in their kitchen where he's just wearing his undershirt -- I just wanted to fucking jump him.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Akash wrote:By the way, has anyone noticed (now that he's legal) how cute Jamie Bell is?

My God, yes. And he's also a charming, witty, thoroughly unstarry young chap.

Edited By rudeboy on 1197549867
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

But it was still a great performance (in Venice there was talk of her getting Best Actress, before they settled for Cate Blanchett). It would be interesting to know exactly how many minutes it is - if she's nominated it could really be the shortest ever (shortest than Beatrice Straight's as far as I remember).

I agree with Aakash about child performances (and by the way American child actors seem often to be as expert and sometimes mechanical as the adult ones). Though not on Abigail Breslin - I wouldn't nominate her because I didn't like the movie, but I never found hers an especially dreadful performance.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Big Magilla wrote:Vanessa Redgrave is the only nominee from Atonement in the top four acting categories though Saoirse Ronan is nominated for best young actress.
Vanessa Redgrave? She was on the screen less than Beatrice Straight.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I hate when groups have categories for "younger" actors and actresses. If there's a performance by a child actor in any given year that is remarkable (like say Anna Paquin in "The Piano"), then the little runt should compete for lead and supporting status even against adults. If the mewling brat isn't nominated there, and enough people really feel he/she/it deserves some kind of recognition, an honorary award or special citation will do. It is stupid to have an entire category for children because 1) good acting shouldn't be age specific and 2) it leads to a number of filler and pointless nominees just like the Animated Film category at the Oscars.

Just think, if there were Younger categories at the Oscars today, for every wonderful Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense and A.I.) and Jamie Bell win (Billy Elliot), we'd also have wins for little turds like Abigail Breslin and nominations for that annoying kid from Finding Neverland and the Scariest Motherfucker of them all, Dakota Fanning.

By the way, has anyone noticed (now that he's legal) how cute Jamie Bell is?

Edited By Akash on 1197525651
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mister Tee wrote:Doesn't Blonsky sort of push the envelope for "young" actor? If I were her, I'd be embarrassed to be listed here -- it's like being seated at the kiddie table when you're in college.
I don't know what their rules are on Young Actor/Actress. Michael Cera is nominated in Young Actor and he and Blonsky are roughly the same age. Paul Dano was nominated (and won) in young actor last year for Little Miss Sunshine and he's in his early 20's.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

As BJ says, this group makes it easy on themselves by having ten nominees, so they can say they anticipated all the best picture nominees (even throwing in There Will Be Blood, which I'll bet alot didn't like). I suspect all five best picture and director nominees will come from that list -- with Gangster and Kite Runner more likely for picture, Diving Bell and Blood for directing.

Interesting, by the way, they didn't find room for Before the Devil, despite promoting Lumet for director. This makes clear to me the whole hype around the film is One for the Old Guy. I'll be very surprised if the Academy nominates him.

Given this group's sad propensity for anticpating Oscar nods, I find the best actor list disquieting. Day-Lewis and Depp seem certain, and Clooney seems to be being carried along, but I didn't see any of the others as terribly likely (compared to McAvoy and Hoffman).

I also have to wonder if the Into the Wild extreme love is one of those flings this group will occasionally take that isn't much matched by Oscar nods. (I like the film, and wouldn't mind it getting recognized, but I remain dubious)

Doesn't Blonsky sort of push the envelope for "young" actor? If I were her, I'd be embarrassed to be listed here -- it's like being seated at the kiddie table when you're in college.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Rolo, I have all the data in spreadsheet form, but am not finding the time to post it all yet. It'll be up...hopefully before the end of the year, but I can't guarantee...and the critics groups are the least likely to get updated first...since I already have some of the guilds and other orgs pre-formatted.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:at this point, i could really use that site fennec. i think that is what it was called. it listed all the precursor awards. it was nicely put together and very comprehensive.
does anyone know of something similar?
it was a good site, but I think they shut down due to "Brokeback Mountain" loss of 2005. Personally, I think that was an idiotic reason to close shop, but many were disappointed with that development.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

at this point, i could really use that site fennec. i think that is what it was called. it listed all the precursor awards. it was nicely put together and very comprehensive.
does anyone know of something similar?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Original BJ wrote:And, of course, I continued to be perplexed by Casey Affleck's placement. Why on earth is he not nominated for Best Original Score? From the stuttery, rhythmical cadences of his speech, to his awkward, uncomfortable walk, everything about Affleck's work contributes to the precise musicality of Assassination of Jesse James. The very timbre of his voice seemed to me like the creation of a completely new musical instrument. I can't fathom why such melodic dexterity wouldn't be rewarded in the correct category?
Tell me about it. With that incredible voice and the dexterity of his movements, I sincerely hope that Casey's next role is as a bossy bottom opposite Michael Brandon in the next Raging Stallion epic.

Wait, did I say that out loud? :p
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

There's no organization I detest more than the Broadcast Film Critics. There entire modus operandi seems to be "predicting" the Oscars. That's why they have TEN Best Picture nominees -- so they can boast that every film nominated for an Oscar was nominated at BFCA first. (And, of course, those ten films are, at this point, the top ten most likely contenders to nab Best Picture nominations. Go figure.) Their list is, of course, achingly predictable (one thing you can always count on the Globes for, for better or worse, is some curveballs), but here are a couple thoughts:

It seemed inevitable that The Kite Runner would place on the Best Picture list, but its mostly poor showing (no Screenplay/Director/major acting nods, even score!) hopefully indicates that even among these middlebrows, the film doesn't have a boatload of support. Of course, this could all change once the movie opens, but for now, it only seems to be hanging on.

Both Atonement and Sweeney Todd (which had been discussed earlier as very BFCA-friendly films) both did well enough, but both missed several major nods: Carter couldn't snag a Best Actress slot (over Blanchett and Jolie!), and Atonement missed McAvoy and Screenplay. (Here's where the Keira Knightley ship starts to sink...)

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly continues its relatively strong run (true, it didn't rack up the nods, but not-certain Picture & Director spots in addition to Foreign Film are a good sign).

Though Assassination of Jesse James absolutely deserved a score mention, that's a very pleasing lineup nonetheless.

Because BFCA adheres so closely to Oscar "predictions," it's also worth noting when they choose oddball contenders. I don't think Viggo Mortensen's been on too many prediction list...could the Best Actor miasma allow him to slip through? And what of Lars and the Real Girl, which scored nods for BOTH Actor and Screenplay? I thought the film would mostly be a no-go this season...now it's suddenly at least a player.

And, of course, I continued to be perplexed by Casey Affleck's placement. Why on earth is he not nominated for Best Original Score? From the stuttery, rhythmical cadences of his speech, to his awkward, uncomfortable walk, everything about Affleck's work contributes to the precise musicality of Assassination of Jesse James. The very timbre of his voice seemed to me like the creation of a completely new musical instrument. I can't fathom why such melodic dexterity wouldn't be rewarded in the correct category?

Return to “The 8th Decade”