FYC: There Will Be Blood (Soundtrack)

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think you're probably right, Sabin. The score is definitely, what I would call, asymmetric. It's also unique in the fact that I've been through five or six pieces so far and it's mostly been strings with a piano in two of the pieces. Matter of fact, it's interesting as it uses an interesting technique that forces a viola (I believe, could have been the violin) to sound like a horn through vibrato. It's rather an interesting work.

I said before that there's a lot of Bernard Herrmann influence, but there's one piece that reminds me of the early scenes of 2001.

I can just imagine how the pieces are used knowing what little I do about the film. If I'm close in any of them, this movie could be destined for historical preservation, but we'll see.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Strong contender for one of the most memorable and effective scores of the decade. Probably be overlooked.
"How's the despair?"
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I'm listening to this right now, and I like what I hear.

Not really what I expected from a PT Anderson film, but then again There Will Be Blood is not really what we expected from PT Anderson...

[edit] Cheers, Wes for changing the Layman stamp to a Temp! Or have I been promoted to a Temp? The world will never know........

Edited By jack on 1197423061
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I started listening to this and it's pretty interesting. It reminds me of Bernard Herrmann.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best Original Score
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”